5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

STR

Reaction score
If you put a HEMI into it, sure. XD

I can't wait. I've been waiting for months for this. I'll be calling around to see if anyone can install it for me soon. I don't have a lift and I want to retain the OEM exhaust, something I can't do with just jacks alone.

Just an FYI. I installed it myself in the driveway using Rhino Ramps. If you drop the spare and the driver’s side spare heat shield, you can fish out the OEM exhaust without cutting it. Aligning the tips were a PITA, but overall it was an easy bolt-on installation...

E3EFCB97-037A-441C-BD67-5A85FCD26B06.jpeg

Last edited:

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Not bad! I am surprised it was that easy.

The local muffler shop just quoted me an hour of labor and $100 to do it. I might just go for the easy option... :D

popcenator

Reaction score
The S-Type is muy bueno. I love driving this truck now and I get a lot of head turns driving past people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

shurik74

Reaction score
Very tempting S-type!!! Anyone recently purchased? How long it takes to get it nowadays?

Also... Looks like same part # for 5'7" or 6'4" bed, right?

Looking for one on https://www.ss-exhaust.com, says no sales tax and free shipping...

Last edited:

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Bought mine through a seller on eBay today as the price with tax came to $940 shipped. Shipping says it’s expected on Thursday... we’ll see. :D

STR

Reaction score
Purchased mine last month from Summit for $985 I believe. It was on back order for a couple of weeks. Part# 140752BC (black tips).

shurik74

Reaction score
Thanks guys for responses...

Little dilemma... I wanted to paint bumpers to match white truck color but friends keep telling me that would be more practical to leave it chrome. Will black tips look good on chrome bumper or get chrome tips?

STR

Reaction score
^^^ I have black, w/the black appearance pkg, so the decision was easy. If your truck is white w/chrome bumper, then probably chrome. If you paint it white, then either would work IMO. Good news w/the black chrome tips... they never look dirty.

popcenator

Reaction score
X2 on the chrome. IMO, black tips with a chrome bumper doesn't look right. Now, if you decide to paint the bumper white, which I think would look good then I think the black tips are the way to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mblack78

Reaction score
Bought mine off CSPracing.com for $884 about 4 weeks ago and delivered in 3 business days. My fav mod thus far. Love the tone. I understand why some people who purchased thought it was too loud, but it’s just fine for my tastes.

Truck1

Reaction score
Put the Borla touring on my 2020 Rebel today. Sounds badass and looks badass with the black tips. Wondering how much louder the S-type is. I might have liked the S-Type.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I had mine installed today... it wasn’t quite as plug and play as I was expecting, but we got there in the end. It is loud... no doubt, but it sounds absolutely awesome. I love it!

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
It just didn’t fit quite right. It also rests very close to and can hit against a part of the frame (not sure what it’s called exactly) so it can rattle when idling. The pipe to connect the left side was also weirdly too small to fit over the other bit, so it had to be widened. Just not what I expected for a $1000 system and a Borla at that. But, it’s installed, it sounds amazing and looks killer. Worth the small hassles. :)

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes that definitely does not sound like any of the ones of many that I have owned. Was it a drop ship from Borla or did you get it from a second party seller ?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes that definitely does not sound like any of the ones of many that I have owned. Was it a drop ship from Borla or did you get it from a second party seller ?
I thought you got rid of your truck like a year ago. Sounds like really customized now. I use to kid you about all the exhaust systems you had tried before buying a new stock one. :cool:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh no that’s my beater and it’s going to stay as long as I can still climb into it. I usually use my Accord but my wife has gifted that to one of our daughters so no the hunt is on for another project vehicle. I’m really leaning towards a 2013-14 Audi S8. It’s hard because I want a particular combo to start with.

STR

Reaction score
It just didn’t fit quite right. It also rests very close to and can hit against a part of the frame (not sure what it’s called exactly) so it can rattle when idling. The pipe to connect the left side was also weirdly too small to fit over the other bit, so it had to be widened. Just not what I expected for a $1000 system and a Borla at that. But, it’s installed, it sounds amazing and looks killer. Worth the small hassles. :)

Glad that you’re happy w/the the sound. While there is no packing inside the muffler to alter the tone, for some reason it sounds better with more miles on it. Perhaps it’s the soot build-up that tweaks the flow, but tone gets a little deeper, which is great!

During my install I noticed the the rear passenger tailpipe was too close to the bump stop bracket/frame, but I was able to adjust at the donut connection up front to get better clearance, and haven’t had any issues w/rubbing, rattles, etc. Too bad about the tailpipe fitment problem. That’s the first that I’ve heard about that... but glad everything worked out in the end (y)

Last edited:

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score

I ordered my Borla S-type with black tips from CSPracing for $902 on June 12th. It was finally shipped on the 22nd. Thanks to UPS, I just got it today on July 9th. I opened the box to inspect for damage and fit. On the fit test, it appears I have the same issue. The L/H crossover pipe seems too small to slide over the pipe coming from the muffler. I agree, that much money shouldn’t require me to make adjustments. I wonder if they had a bad batch. Regardless, I can’t wait to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread