5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed for exterior accessories ie: bug (hood shield) shield, window vents and splash mud guards.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just installed the Weathertech Bu/Stone deflector yesterday. The screws I received were not too long and fit well. However, after trying to thread them in with no success in getting a tight fit, I pushed on the outside of the pin to the hood to have a tight fit then pushed the screws in and all fits tight.

But, to close my hood, I really have to slam it hard.

Do I have to adjust hood stops? Curious if others had this issue. Secondly, are there just the 2? Just tighten/loosen them?

Thanks.
I had the same problem.
The company ended up giving me a full refund claiming it doesn't fit the sports hood, which is odd because the non-sports hood is a way different curve.

I was able to force it on by replacing the push clips, but it still doesn't fit right.
I needed to adjust my stops a little but it still looks like crap. I need to slam my hood, and i'm concerned over time it will mar the paint on the bottom edge of the hood but I have been too busy to look at getting something else.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same problem.
The company ended up giving me a full refund claiming it doesn't fit the sports hood, which is odd because the non-sports hood is a way different curve.

I was able to force it on by replacing the push clips, but it still doesn't fit right.
I needed to adjust my stops a little but it still looks like crap. I need to slam my hood, and i'm concerned over time it will mar the paint on the bottom edge of the hood but I have been too busy to look at getting something else.

I’ve been wondering about this myself. I installed the Mopar one on both the 21 Laramie & the 22 Limited - both with sport hoods. The first time I purchased it, they didn’t mention anything. The second time, the new dealership, mentioned that it doesn’t fit the sport hood & I said well that’s weird, the one I traded in on your lot has it on the sport hood.

My brother installed it the first time & said the 2 outer fasteners didn’t line up. I installed it the second time & took advice with pics from a forum member here to drill another hole into the protector itself about an inch over & it seems to be fine.

Although now I’ll be going out tomorrow to double check that everything looks ok according to what you’re saying. I put just over 58k on the 21 & up to 18k now on the 22 so at least with the rate at this much mileage I can confirm if there’s any rub issues over time, maybe faster than others. But I certainly hope not! Lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering about this myself. I installed the Mopar one on both the 21 Laramie & the 22 Limited - both with sport hoods. The first time I purchased it, they didn’t mention anything. The second time, the new dealership, mentioned that it doesn’t fit the sport hood & I said well that’s weird, the one I traded in on your lot has it on the sport hood.

My brother installed it the first time & said the 2 outer fasteners didn’t line up. I installed it the second time & took advice with pics from a forum member here to drill another hole into the protector itself about an inch over & it seems to be fine.

Although now I’ll be going out tomorrow to double check that everything looks ok according to what you’re saying. I put just over 58k on the 21 & up to 18k now on the 22 so at least with the rate at this much mileage I can confirm if there’s any rub issues over time, maybe faster than others. But I certainly hope not! Lol
The issue isn't with the rub, it's how hard I need to slam my hood over time.
As long as I don't open my hood it doesn't appear to be causing any damage.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
I should have mentioned, I do have the sport hood as well. Everything seems to line up just fine, it's just how hard I have to slam the hood, which concerns me.

Others on the forum mentioned it fits the regular and sport hood.

Not sure if I should return to weathertech. Don't want any adverse damage to anything by having to really force the hood shut.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned, I do have the sport hood as well. Everything seems to line up just fine, it's just how hard I have to slam the hood, which concerns me.

Others on the forum mentioned it fits the regular and sport hood.

Not sure if I should return to weathertech. Don't want any adverse damage to anything by having to really force the hood shut.
I mean how often do you open your hood?

I don't foresee having paint damage, and even if I do should be pretty easy to repaint on the edges.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey guys i look up to buy those hood defl.for my rebel.but always says "will not fit rebel".how much diff. is my hood than the others. :unsure:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
your lug nuts look like Carmex caps what are those?
They are ColorLugs Vinyl Lug Nut Cover.
They slip onto my original chrome lugs and fit very tightly after a few months I'm able to pull them off without using any tool and just my hand as they retain shape.
Been on since April and no problems so far.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey guys i look up to buy those hood defl.for my rebel.but always says "will not fit rebel".how much diff. is my hood than the others. :unsure:

Are you talking about the Mopar brand one? It also said that it will not fit my sport hood on the Laramie and Limited but it does with minor modification of drilling an additional hole about an inch or so over for the two outside fasteners so that they don’t attach at the bend on the hood.

However, from what I’ve gathered on this forum, is that the rebel And the TRX have different grills and top exterior shroud piece shape, if you will. Might want to check with someone on here who has a rebel and the same foot protector you’re looking to acquire. The best evidence for you to visualize what I am talking about is search the Internet for something like TRX hood installed on ram Laramie. It may have been a rebel, but it had those same style headlights and definitely did not fit.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Mopar brand one? It also said that it will not fit my sport hood on the Laramie and Limited but it does with minor modification of drilling an additional hole about an inch or so over for the two outside fasteners so that they don’t attach at the bend on the hood.

However, from what I’ve gathered on this forum, is that the rebel And the TRX have different grills and top exterior shroud piece shape, if you will. Might want to check with someone on here who has a rebel and the same foot protector you’re looking to acquire. The best evidence for you to visualize what I am talking about is search the Internet for something like TRX hood installed on ram Laramie. It may have been a rebel, but it had those same style headlights and definitely did not fit.
thank you much friend (y) (y)

Users who are viewing this thread