5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't plan on doing tailgate, just front doors
Tell it to the dealer.........
If I were you, I wouldn't mention the "dealer install "... do it yourself unless you want to pay for the whole thing

Tazithman

Reaction score
I'm just trying to give them incentive to get the code added. I figure 2 handles and a couple wiring harnesses can't be more than 2 hours of shop time. I figure its worth it because it would probably take me twice that long to do it

parnine

Reaction score
Did you get a quote for this. Might be cheaper to trade in. It could be $1200.00 parts and labor at a dealer to do this. Then you need to hope you don't get an inexperienced kid to do this. To do this correctly at a dealer level would require 2 door handles, 2 caps, 2 door wiring harnesses, the tailgate harness and tailgate antenna. That has to be $700.00 in parts alone. FCA should not have tricked everyone with the crafty language on the window sticker. Even the salesman were unaware that FCA was doing this. Pretty ****ty.

do you mean like "..The end user who is probably not a pro, probably installs his own wiring harness .." as you referenced - :)

The harness is 'plug and play' with connectors that only attach to the other correct connector in the correct manner - FCA designed the install, even at the original assembly line aspect, to be done by a) 'someone who' is probably not a pro, or b) general dealer mechanics or as you say "an inexperienced kid"

Bram2019

Reaction score
do you mean like "..The end user who is probably not a pro, probably installs his own wiring harness .." as you referenced - :)

The harness is 'plug and play' with connectors that only attach to the other correct connector in the correct manner - FCA designed the install, even at the original assembly line aspect, to be done by a) 'someone who' is probably not a pro, or b) general dealer mechanics or as you say "an inexperienced kid"
That is not what I mean. You can modify the door harness pretty easily. And save yourself the cost of a complete harness for both doors. You only need too add 2 wires to the door harness with the correct wire ends, twisted pair wire all soldered, heat shrunk and properly routed. Too many guys I suspect may incorrectly do this. If you were adding all Mopar factory wiring, I would agree that would be a good upgrade that FCA should say is ok. I would guess there is a youtube video somewhere.

WheelerNation

Reaction score
So I'm at the dealership now trying to get the vehicle restore since Swifty was able to add the code to my truck previously. First the tech tells me that code GXDA was attempted to be added to my truck and that is failed. Then they tell me the vehicle restore won't work because the handles are installed yet. I tried to show them parts of this thread but doesn't seem to help. So I will either install the handles and try again or I will have to go to another dealership out of my way. I guess you guys were not kidding when you said this would be the hardest part

Bram2019

Reaction score
So I'm at the dealership now trying to get the vehicle restore since Swifty was able to add the code to my truck previously. First the tech tells me that code GXDA was attempted to be added to my truck and that is failed. Then they tell me the vehicle restore won't work because the handles are installed yet. I tried to show them parts of this thread but doesn't seem to help. So I will either install the handles and try again or I will have to go to another dealership out of my way. I guess you guys were not kidding when you said this would be the hardest part
The problem without the hardware installed is the tech will see a lot of fault codes after he does that. Probably should have installed the handles. Even at that he will see fault codes complaining about the tailgate antenna. In fact it will still update your bcm without the hardware, but save yourself the hassle and just install the handles before them having them do the vehicle restore.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
they restored mine without handled installed - I basically said just do it, and I'll never bother you again

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Tell them to just do the VCR and that's it. Tell them that they're not responsible for the outcome, if the system isn't working, that's on you.

parnine

Reaction score

the key, as others have also said, is to make it clear that a) you don't need them to "add anything", you only need b) have a tech hook your truck upto witech and 'restore vehicle config'. Explain that you realize this "may be a waste of money as it may do absolutely nothing" but you are willing to take that chance and realize it could be a total waste of your money. Then smile and say, "but you will make some money on it :)"

parnine

Reaction score
oh and I would not install the handles first (keeps it cleaner with no error codes getting into the mix for the tech)

I had mine done with out the handles installed. You will know if it worked through the options setting (back in this thread are some pics I took before and after of my settings).

WheelerNation

Reaction score
oh and I would not install the handles first (keeps it cleaner with no error codes getting into the mix for the tech)

I had mine done with out the handles installed. You will know if it worked through the options setting (back in this thread are some pics I took before and after of my settings).
I will have to go to another dealership. I did pretty much what you said already and even showed them this thread and how others had successfully accomplished this addon. Talked to the service manager as well and showed him the same thing and they refused to believe that it was something that can be done. Not a huge deal as there are plenty of other dealerships in my area, just disappointed as this was a dealership I have used for years and thought they would be more receptive. It is what it is at this point. Thanks for the feedback too.

Bram2019

Reaction score

The problem without the handles installed is the tech will wind up with multiple active error codes after he does the vehicle restore. He may then think he really messed up. The best idea is probably to tell the tech to just do it and ship the truck. What he needs is a tech who really knows what he is doing. Too many of them do not understand the nut and bolts of what is being done here.

parnine

Reaction score
The problem without the handles installed is the tech will wind up with multiple active error codes after he does the vehicle restore. He may then think he really messed up. The best idea is probably to tell the tech to just do it and ship the truck. What he needs is a tech who really knows what he is doing. Too many of them do not understand the nut and bolts of what is being done here.

I don't know 100% about how all this works, what is the timing of the error codes for example, and unless one installs all parts (both doors, rear antena, etc.) I believe you get error codes (I've not verified this, but other posts imply it) so regardless you will get error codes with one handle installed or nothing installed. I was right by the Tech when mine was done, he hooked up, looked at my trucks config, did the restore, looked at the config again and scrolled down to show me the GXD now, then unplugged. If there were any error codes after the restore (in the about 1 min he was still connected) they did not bother the tech that did mine.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
They shouldn't care about the error codes... If they told you they can't do it because there would be some error codes, then I think they're trying to get rid of you.

Bram2019

Reaction score
They shouldn't care about the error codes... If they told you they can't do it because there would be some error codes, then I think they're trying to get rid of you.
Then WheelerNation needs to make that clear to the service writer and the tech. Just do the update and move on. It is human nature for a tech to all of a sudden see multiple active codes and think something went sideways. What you do not understand is everything on Witech is recorded live on the FCA servers and is attached to that VIN.. That is why the dealer needs a live connection to do anything now with Witech. Big Brother is watching. Some shops just don't want to get involved in things like this. They think there is a liability issue. WheelNation has to sign off on everything. And then some shops still won't do it. So yes you maybe right they are trying to get rid of him.

WheelerNation

Reaction score
When I left the dealership they told me that my radio was throwing codes because it was not the original radio that came with the truck. I purchased and installed a 12 inch unit from infotainment that has worked without issue as far as I can tell. All the features worked with no problems what so ever. After I left the dealership, my radio wouldn't turn on at all. I ended up contacting infotainment and while waiting for them to reply I decided to hook the obd genie back to it and it worked again. When I go to work u tried to lock my doors and nothing happens, so then I looked in the radio settings and I now see the option for passive entry. I'm guessing they must have tried the restore and had issues or something. So did anyone have that issue that had the code added before the handles were installed where you couldn't lock or unlock with the key fobs?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
When I left the dealership they told me that my radio was throwing codes because it was not the original radio that came with the truck. I purchased and installed a 12 inch unit from infotainment that has worked without issue as far as I can tell. All the features worked with no problems what so ever. After I left the dealership, my radio wouldn't turn on at all. I ended up contacting infotainment and while waiting for them to reply I decided to hook the obd genie back to it and it worked again. When I go to work u tried to lock my doors and nothing happens, so then I looked in the radio settings and I now see the option for passive entry. I'm guessing they must have tried the restore and had issues or something. So did anyone have that issue that had the code added before the handles were installed where you couldn't lock or unlock with the key fobs?
That's great news! You got the GXDA sales code added!
They did the restore and that's why they got the coeds for the radio, it switched back to the original radio you had.

WheelerNation

Reaction score
That's great news! You got the GXDA sales code added!
They did the restore and that's why they got the coeds for the radio, it switched back to the original radio you had.
That's what I hoped. So this weekend I will get the handles and harnesses installed. Thanks for all your guys feedback and input.

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
If anyone is in Massachusetts and has found a dealer and a tech willing to add the GXD sales code and are willing to share please PM me. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread