5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
clarify please, do you have to have the hardware installed before the sale code is added? ls the sale code something they will want to charge for on top of the shop fee? Sounds like the sale code is going to be the hardest part of this upgrade.

No need for any hardware before adding the SC.
They shouldn't charge you to add the code to the build sheet but they will charge you for the programming after the code is added.
Yes, getting the code added to your vin is the hardest part of this upgrade.
Good luck

Bram2019

Reaction score
The best bet is hoping a Mopar kit comes out. If done properly you need 2 handles, caps, 2 door wiring overlay. Wiring for the tailgate area and a rear expensive antenna. This could be an expensive kit. But if it does become available, that would allow for the code to be added easily.

Swifty

Reaction score
The best bet is hoping a Mopar kit comes out. If done properly you need 2 handles, caps, 2 door wiring overlay. Wiring for the tailgate area and a rear expensive antenna. This could be an expensive kit. But if it does become available, that would allow for the code to be added easily.
Yes and problem is all the different colors and chrome or no chrome So far would have to be at least 20 different kits (part numbers)

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
No need for any hardware before adding the SC.
They shouldn't charge you to add the code to the build sheet but they will charge you for the programming after the code is added.
Yes, getting the code added to your vin is the hardest part of this upgrade.
Good luck

Thank you, while i'm at it is there any other sc that i may be interested in to add at the same time? quick question, is the security stuff ie imobiliser and theft alarm already active on the new trucks? l couldn't tell from reading the owners manual, it didn't say if equipped.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, while i'm at it is there any other sc that i may be interested in to add at the same time? quick question, is the security stuff ie imobiliser and theft alarm already active on the new trucks? l couldn't tell from reading the owners manual, it didn't say if equipped.
I added the RamCharger sc... it's a nice option... you can buy the charger for around $180-200 on ebay.
You can check the security by looking at the light, there's a small dot-like light above the speedometer, this light should blink after you lock your truck.

parnine

Reaction score
clarify please, do you have to have the hardware installed before the sale code is added? ls the sale code something they will want to charge for on top of the shop fee? Sounds like the sale code is going to be the hardest part of this upgrade.

It does not matter when you install the hardware. I had the sales code added and a vehichle config restore done before I installed any hardware (since if I could not get that done, no point in spending money and time on installing hardware that would not work).

What you dealer will charge you seems to vary. I paid $60 to have the vehicle config restore done (see my post about it back in this thread). I had other quotes for much higher and this was only to do the vehicle config restore. It comes down to 'time', having a dealer call and spend time working to get the GXD code added is more time so more $s.

Yes, getting the sales code added is the hardest part!

parnine

Reaction score
Every body should see this, I was searching and found this. let me know if you can access it too.

Rons5thgen - thanks for the document. FYI page 31 of document (pg 40 of .pdf) has the screen shot that the dealer will goto when you ask for the GXD code to be added to your VIN (Keyless Enter-N-Go Passive Entry) and then tell you "Sorry it can not be added as it is not an 'available option' for your truck", this is when you'll have to push to get him to call the area manager to have it added. In my case, when I stressed to the dealer the GXD was already added to my VIN, he told me it 'Is not added, if it was it would be listed here' - pointing to the Available Vehicle Options scroll down list you see in Figure 15 (pg 31), and at this point I began to realize that that DealerCONNECT is showing configuration data from a different database than the one that is used to download the configuraiton. Still somewhat a mystery to me how it all works 100%, and I believe a mystery to most dealers, that is your challenge :)

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
Rons5thgen - thanks for the document. FYI page 31 of document (pg 40 of .pdf) has the screen shot that the dealer will goto when you ask for the GXD code to be added to your VIN (Keyless Enter-N-Go Passive Entry) and then tell you "Sorry it can not be added as it is not an 'available option' for your truck", this is when you'll have to push to get him to call the area manager to have it added. In my case, when I stressed to the dealer the GXD was already added to my VIN, he told me it 'Is not added, if it was it would be listed here' - pointing to the Available Vehicle Options scroll down list you see in Figure 15 (pg 31), and at this point I began to realize that that DealerCONNECT is showing configuration data from a different database than the one that is used to download the configuraiton. Still somewhat a mystery to me how it all works 100%, and I believe a mystery to most dealers, that is your challenge :)

I beg the answer, what was it you said that motivated them to do it?

parnine

Reaction score
I beg the answer, what was it you said that motivated them to do it?
In my case I was only asking to 'restore vehicle configuration' as Swifty was gracious enough to have gotten the sales code GXD added to my VIN. You can see write up about my dealer expierience in post #442 of this thread. Basically I had to press them to do it after the Service Manager said he could not help and I made it clear I was willing to 'risk the $60 and would take whatever the results ended up being'. It was an awkard converstation with the Service Manger definitely not liking doing it but unwilling to totaly refuse my request. It was clear he thought at the time it was useless and I was wasteing my money (I'd like to think after it worked, he changed his mind, but I doubt it as this dealership is not really into 'stepping out of the box' which is what is required here).

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I told them, that I was going to be adding passive entry handles to my truck, and I’ve already had the sales code added to my vin file, but I need you to do a restore vehicle config. They the asked sounding confused, was I adding mopar door handles or aftermarket handles? I said mopar, and I said I would pay labor and if it didn’t work, I wouldn’t pester them or complain I want my money back, basically took them off the hook.

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
In my case I was only asking to 'restore vehicle configuration' as Swifty was gracious enough to have gotten the sales code GXD added to my VIN. You can see write up about my dealer expierience in post #442 of this thread. Basically I had to press them to do it after the Service Manager said he could not help and I made it clear I was willing to 'risk the $60 and would take whatever the results ended up being'. It was an awkard converstation with the Service Manger definitely not liking doing it but unwilling to totaly refuse my request. It was clear he thought at the time it was useless and I was wasteing my money (I'd like to think after it worked, he changed his mind, but I doubt it as this dealership is not really into 'stepping out of the box' which is what is required here).

l kinda remember that, still sounds like l have an arm wrestle ahead of me. l get a lot of no's from my local dealers. l wish l could slap that out of them.

Thank you very much, it looks like a bunch of problems to overcome. Forging on...
l did get the rain sensor to work. A step in the right direction. 73

parnine

Reaction score
l kinda remember that, still sounds like l have an arm wrestle ahead of me. l get a lot of no's from my local dealers. l wish l could slap that out of them.

Thank you very much, it looks like a bunch of problems to overcome. Forging on...
l did get the rain sensor to work. A step in the right direction. 73

Good Luck! Good thing to know is that it (having GXD code added to VIN) has been done by some dealers. Rain sensor is on my list and another reason for me to get AlphaOBD, but probably a couple of months out on the 'project list' :)

FM45

Reaction score
Another shout out to Swifty on his leg work to even making this possible, Thanks Bud!! All my harnesses and accessory add-ons are finally being delivered, but slow going because of the present day situation. Not only am I adding passive entry, I am also installing OEM ambient lighting to each door, under dash, and under seats. I am using factory wiring were I can but also creating my own and sourcing out the connectors were needed. I will also be adding a waterproof 12v housing source in the bed of the truck. Now the Fun begins --

Ram Stuff.jpg

-=FM45=-

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waiting on a reply from one of the local dealerships. I went in and spoke to the service manager while picking up the rain sensor for the wipers (simple upgrade) and having the wiper recall done. At first he seemed a little hesitant/confused on what I was asking for, but after we talked for a bit he said he would reach out and see if he could get it done. I even showed that it was done using genuine factory parts, and not some aftermarket stuff since that seemed to be an area of concern. Really hoping it comes back as a yes. If not, I wonder what other avenue I could pursue since I imagine all the dealers in the area report to one regional rep. Seeing as how these are our vehicles, I do not see why we should not be able to modify them as we see fit, as long as we don't mess with anything that would affect the safety/integrity of it, which this does not. It's not like I have to ask the bank for permission to upgrade the locks and handles on the door to my house...

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I went to my dealership and they were very receptive and called the area tech who refused to add any purchase codes to my VIN, they weren’t sure if it had to do with lower staffing due to this virus craziness and said when it gets back to normal I can try again. Figures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantomsfbw

Reaction score
Yes and problem is all the different colors and chrome or no chrome So far would have to be at least 20 different kits (part numbers)
Do you by chance know if you can add proximity entry to the rear doors of a 2019 that already has it on the front doors? I often find I need to open rear door first to load stuff. I have it on all four doors of another vehicle and it just makes things easier. 2019 Ram Rebel, crew cab, V8, crystal metallic. Thanks for any insight!

MRREDDOG

Reaction score
Dam, this is some real bullcrap, just bought a 2020 flame red blackout bighorn today, did my research and it said "remote keyless entry on the monrony sticker. But now I see everyone else has same problem, push start but no keyless entry, even says it on sticker??

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Dam, this is some real bullcrap, just bought a 2020 flame red blackout bighorn today, did my research and it said "remote keyless entry on the monrony sticker. But now I see everyone else has same problem, push start but no keyless entry, even says it on sticker??
Congrats on your new truck! Enjoy it.

PapaJon96

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've spent a few days reading this thread and sifting through the great work being done. I'm wondering if @Swifty could help me out and add the sales code to my VIN? Can someone help me out with a parts list as well? Literally at witts end with my truck not having passive entry like my last one.

Users who are viewing this thread