5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It
mike_ct, does alphaobd have the capability to do “vehicle config restore” ? l emailed this question to alphaobe and got no responce. What say you?
it won’t do the restore; or more importantly touch the RF hub, or anything with a security login ( key fob program, etc)

parnine

Reaction score
yes once its disabled, you can lock using the inside power lock button and shut the close, and no beeps.
unfortunately, its not an option that shows up on the uconnect menus.
yeah its a good reason to get an alfaobd setup. you'll need a security bypass too.

Hi mike_ct,

FYI I think there is more to it than this. I get the concept that if you disable any logic to prevent the FOB from being locked in the truck (i.e. Key_Fobik_Safe disable) it will stop the 'auto unlock and 3 beeps', but that then also would allow me to lock the FOB in the truck correct?

I also think there is something else going on, such as since the system is missing 'something' (like another antenna, or other door sensors), the 3 beeps/unlock is an 'error condition' notification, opposed to occurring because it thinks the FOB is in the vehicle. I guess one way to test this theory is to find out how it works for trucks that came with the option from the factory.

There are numerous threads on other Dodge forums (not specific to a 2019 RAM Bighorn) with this issue and references to the fix being antenna replaced and/or one of the handles defective. I guess if I got an ODBII reader (or AlhpaODB) I could look at what codes I'm getting, but I'd expect to get some codes (as another poster noted) since I'm missing parts to this 'passive entry' system.

What I'm really trying to do is understand how it works exactly.

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
It

it won’t do the restore; or more importantly touch the RF hub, or anything with a security login ( key fob program, etc)

Does the dealer do that just by asking? The cost? I hate my local dealer, always says no to my requests.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Does the dealer do that just by asking? The cost? I hate my local dealer, always says no to my requests.
Get a different dealer.
Cost is around $100 or less for restore vehicle configuration.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi mike_ct,

FYI I think there is more to it than this. I get the concept that if you disable any logic to prevent the FOB from being locked in the truck (i.e. Key_Fobik_Safe disable) it will stop the 'auto unlock and 3 beeps', but that then also would allow me to lock the FOB in the truck correct?

I also think there is something else going on, such as since the system is missing 'something' (like another antenna, or other door sensors), the 3 beeps/unlock is an 'error condition' notification, opposed to occurring because it thinks the FOB is in the vehicle. I guess one way to test this theory is to find out how it works for trucks that came with the option from the factory.

There are numerous threads on other Dodge forums (not specific to a 2019 RAM Bighorn) with this issue and references to the fix being antenna replaced and/or one of the handles defective. I guess if I got an ODBII reader (or AlhpaODB) I could look at what codes I'm getting, but I'd expect to get some codes (as another poster noted) since I'm missing parts to this 'passive entry' system.

What I'm really trying to do is understand how it works exactly.
maybe. on the 4th gen forums, its a known thing. and thats where I got a lot of my base information for adding the system. chevy trucks do it to. if you lock the door and close the door, and it picks up your key fob in proximity, it beeps to warn you the fob may still be in the vehicle.

when you enable passive entry, it also enabled fob_safe_detection.
actually even before I had the system installed, when I was messing with alfaobd, I notice if I enabled passive entry, it would also enable fob_safe, and if you hit lock and shut door, 3 honks.

chrysler minivans do it as well, right from the factory. its there to prevent inadvertent locking of the fob inside the vehicle.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here's an excerpt from a Jeep manual (same system practically)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 2.27.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 2.27.34 PM.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 36

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you'll ask your dealer to do a "restore vehicle config", and they will charge you labor time for using the tool. The tool runs a script that re-flashes your modules with a new config from FCA. Whats going on during the process, is the dealer tool downloads a new config from FCA server, and uploads it to your truck's modules. Its a fairly automated process. Its not like a tech has to go thru the options and manually turn on and off settings. They don't get that option during the restore. It basically runs it and its done.

Alfaobd is different, in the sense it allows you to make individual changes and enable settings 1 at a time. Alfaobd can enable passive entry in the BCM, but it can't refresh the RF Hub, because it requires a security login. This is different from what the dealer does, because the dealer tool downloads the configs and uploads them all one shot.

Huskymush

Reaction score
Has anyone added the rear door handles? Have 2 small kids and I always find myself having to reach for the front door to unlock before I can open the rear and put the car seat in.

parnine

Reaction score
here's an excerpt from a Jeep manual (same system practically)

but I could not lock my FOB in the truck before (or so I thought, and think I actually inadvertently tested it once), and per the following the '3 beeps and un-lock' should NOT be happening, unless there is some 'error' condition, that is my theory.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 9.28.48 PM.png
according to the Jeep manual, one should be able to open the door, use the door switch to lock the doors, get out of the vehicle (with FOB), close door, and the vehicle should stay locked.

Or am I missing something?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone added the rear door handles? Have 2 small kids and I always find myself having to reach for the front door to unlock before I can open the rear and put the car seat in.
I want to experiment by daisy chaining off front handle but need a handle. The fob range should be sufficient. My mod money is tied up on other projects so it will be some time. If someone has a spare handle I can borrow shoot me a pm. I will return once I'm done with testing.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
but I could not lock my FOB in the truck before (or so I thought, and think I actually inadvertently tested it once), and per the following the '3 beeps and un-lock' should NOT be happening, unless there is some 'error' condition, that is my theory.

View attachment 55463
according to the Jeep manual, one should be able to open the door, use the door switch to lock the doors, get out of the vehicle (with FOB), close door, and the vehicle should stay locked.

Or am I missing something?
I think that condition is saying it will do the 3 honks, but not re-unlock the doors if within 5m? Don’t know.
It’s odd the minivans do the honk behavior from the factory.

for the heck of it, I’ll scan for codes tomorrow. See if anything interesting is in there.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
You are inside vehicle or standing inside an open door it thinks key fob is inside the vehicle and is trying to prevent you from locking key in
When door is shut it knows fob is outside you push button on door and locks doors
An FYI. if you leave key in vehicle hit lock switch it beeps 3 times unlocks door it will warn you twice the third time you try it will lick key in

Swifty

Reaction score
Anyone interested go to your dealers and ask them to get sales code added to your vin by calling their tech advisor or area managers I know for a fact that since I have been cut off that others on this forum have gotten added by asking won’t mention who but more than a few so memo is not corporate wide yet

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
Anyone interested go to your dealers and ask them to get sales code added to your vin by calling their tech advisor or area managers I know for a fact that since I have been cut off that others on this forum have gotten added by asking won’t mention who but more than a few so memo is not corporate wide yet

Is there a specific person or position at the dealership we should ask to talk to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck should be getting the config restored this morning, had my brother take it in with him so they could do the wiper recal and hes going to get them to do the restore. Hopefully if the weather cooperates I can install everything tomorrow.

parnine

Reaction score
Is there a specific person or position at the dealership we should ask to talk to?

You are going to have to find a dealer with a service manager, or mechanic that is 'willing to work with you', and this seems to be rare. As Swifty says you'll need to convince someone at the dealerhsip to 'call the area service/tech manager' as you need someone to add the GXD sales code to your VIN and then have the dealership 'restore vehicle config' - the 'vehicle restore' from Witech is VERY simple procees, takes about 2 min from the time the technican hooks up his laptop to your ODBII port.

I can tell you that I had a hard time just getting the dealer to 'restore vehicle config' as the Service Manager somewhat refused to do this and told me what I was trying to do would not work, so basically go to the dealer, act like you know exactly what you are doing, be specific in saying you "need to have GXD code added to vehichle" and "Yes I know you, as the dealer can not add, as it does not show as an 'available option' to add, but if you call your area manager, he can add it, and then you can do the vehicle config restore" you are probably going to have to be very 'forceful in a gentle way'

Good luck!

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
You are going to have to find a dealer with a service manager, or mechanic that is 'willing to work with you', and this seems to be rare. As Swifty says you'll need to convince someone at the dealerhsip to 'call the area service/tech manager' as you need someone to add the GXD sales code to your VIN and then have the dealership 'restore vehicle config' - the 'vehicle restore' from Witech is VERY simple procees, takes about 2 min from the time the technican hooks up his laptop to your ODBII port.

I can tell you that I had a hard time just getting the dealer to 'restore vehicle config' as the Service Manager somewhat refused to do this and told me what I was trying to do would not work, so basically go to the dealer, act like you know exactly what you are doing, be specific in saying you "need to have GXD code added to vehichle" and "Yes I know you, as the dealer can not add, as it does not show as an 'available option' to add, but if you call your area manager, he can add it, and then you can do the vehicle config restore" you are probably going to have to be very 'forceful in a gentle way'

Good luck!

Awesome. I like my dealership but I haven’t had to approach them with anything like this before and I know if you don’t know exactly who it is you’re supposed to talk to and what it is that needs to be done it’s easy for them to brush it off and tell you it can’t be done

thanks for taking the time

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my dealer took some convincing, and I was basically told yeah, thats not going to work and its going to screw things up. I explained I would pay them for their attempt, and I would accept and consequence and not hold them liable, yada yada yada. Then afterwards I got the "if you ever get this working, bring it back for us to see", and I replied of course! be happy to.

it wasn't really a negative attitude, more so just realize you are asking for something outside the norm that probably isn't something they regularly do or get asked to do, and there's a chance that most of the people aren't going to know what you're even talking about, unless its on the sign on the wall where it says "Vehicle Maintenance - 50,000 miles - "Timing" Belt Service $799".

Maybe next time I told them.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my dealer took some convincing, and I was basically told yeah, thats not going to work and its going to screw things up. I explained I would pay them for their attempt, and I would accept and consequence and not hold them liable, yada yada yada. Then afterwards I got the "if you ever get this working, bring it back for us to see", and I replied of course! be happy to.

it wasn't really a negative attitude, more so just realize you are asking for something outside the norm that probably isn't something they regularly do or get asked to do, and there's a chance that most of the people aren't going to know what you're even talking about, unless its on the sign on the wall where it says "Vehicle Maintenance - 50,000 miles - "Timing" Belt Service $799".

Maybe next time I told them.
Yea thats what they told my brother today so hes going to have someone at this old dealership do it for me.

Rons5thgen

Reaction score

Good luck!

clarify please, do you have to have the hardware installed before the sale code is added? ls the sale code something they will want to charge for on top of the shop fee? Sounds like the sale code is going to be the hardest part of this upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread