5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

ericcloe

Reaction score
Once you installed the kit did you use the AlfaOBD to basically turn it on or did you get someone to add the sales code to your VIN?
I added it with alfaodb. I couldn't get anyone aty dealership to add the code.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Once you installed the kit did you use the AlfaOBD to basically turn it on or did you get someone to add the sales code to your VIN?
You can't really add the code to your VIN, There's a protocol from higher-up at FCA that banned all employees from this sales-code adding procedure. "They caught us" :lol:
AlfaOBD is very simple and fast.

Aaron987

Reaction score
If you have the right tools (needle nose pliers, panel tools, torx drivers, etc.) and some patience, it's not a difficult job, so I'd say maybe a 4-5. The dedicated step-by-step post, that's been previously posted in this thread, provides a lot of great insight and tips. IMO, the best way to do this is to buy the factory harnesses/parts and remove the inner door panel (it's what the window track, door latch assembly, etc.) all mount to. Buying the factory parts costs more money, but it makes it a plug 'n play job and although removing the inner panel adds a few extra steps, it makes the job a lot easier in the long run.
Were you able to get thing job complete and working? I am super happy that I found this forum tonight!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Were you able to get thing job complete and working? I am super happy that I found this forum tonight!
I was one of the first ones to complete this upgrade... it's been working flawlessly for over a year now... do it, you wouldn't regret it. I hated the truck before that..

Aaron987

Reaction score
How did you get it to work without adding the code to the Vin?
I was one of the first ones to complete this upgrade... it's been working flawlessly for over a year now... do it, you wouldn't regret it. I hated the truck before that..
Just to be sure, you followed this write up from MayhemMoore? How much did it cost you for all of the parts? I DID purchase the wiring harnesses and nothing else yet.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to be sure, you followed this write up from MayhemMoore? How much did it cost you for all of the parts? I DID purchase the wiring harnesses and nothing else yet.

If I recall, he did it via the sales code addition to his VIN, before I put together the write up about using AlfaOBD to do it.

For the caps and handles, you are looking at around $200 +/- and if you need the program, OBD interface, and security bypass you’re probably looking at another $100-150 depending on what you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey.
No, there was no write up(Thank you MayhemMOOR!!! You're awesome!) when I installed my hardware. As @MayhemMOORE said, swifty added the sales code to my VIN, I didn't use AlfaOBD for that.
I bought used handles from a junk yard for $30 a piece (for the whole assembly; handle, cap, back bracket, locks etc') so $60 for handles. I made my own wiring for the doors but did buy @Jimmy07 's tailgate-antenna wiring harness.
All in all, I'm about $100 in for the hardware.

Last edited:

Aaron987

Reaction score
Hey.
No, there was no write up(Thank you MayhemMOOR!!! You're awesome!) when I installed my hardware. As @MayhemMOORE said, swifty added the sales code to my VIN, I didn't use AlfaOBD for that.
I bought used handles from a junk yard for $30 a piece (for the whole assembly; handle, cap, back bracket, locks etc') so $60 for handles. I made my own wiring for the doors but did buy @Jimmy07 's tailgate-antenna wiring harness.
All in all, I'm about $100 in for the hardware.
I am going to be following the MayhemMoore write up for sure. I will also add to the write up if I can while installing the stuff on my truck. Perhaps I should try looking for a rear antenna for the truck in a junk yard since they are pretty expensive lol.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be following the MayhemMoore write up for sure. I will also add to the write up if I can while installing the stuff on my truck. Perhaps I should try looking for a rear antenna for the truck in a junk yard since they are pretty expensive lol.
Rear antenna is $8- 56046957AA

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

They’re like $8 (probably a few bucks more now) if you use the one in the post that has the parts list. If you actually look up the one that comes from the factory in that position they’re crazy expensive, but the $8 one works the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
As everyone said, use 56046957AA, it's less than $10 and I can confirm it works flawlessly!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a error after using the $10 antenna? Mine is working, ie I can open the tailgate while locked, but I always have an Antenna 5 short circuit/open error stored in my rf hub.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a error after using the $10 antenna? Mine is working, ie I can open the tailgate while locked, but I always have an Antenna 5 short circuit/open error stored in my rf hub.
I actually never checked for codes... maybe... but it works so who cares :LOL:

mmorante

Reaction score
I went with the Nismopar kit for my 19 2500. Had a friend get the sales code added then ordered the kit to make sure it could be done. Had another friend relearn the BCM. Also added Remote start. All factory parts so will have no warranty issues.
Hi, I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn. I thinking of buying the passive entry kit from NisMopar also. Is the Kit the only thing you have to purchase to make passive entry work or did you have to purchase the rear antenna also? Also, is NISmopar the same as Mopar? The dealerships said they wouldn't touch anything aftermarket and had to come from Mopar. Just making sure before i spend the money. Thanks in advance. This is the kit im looking to purchase. https://nismopar.com/catalog/produc...dd-passive-entry-front-doors-kit/category/26/

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn. I thinking of buying the passive entry kit from NisMopar also. Is the Kit the only thing you have to purchase to make passive entry work or did you have to purchase the rear antenna also? Also, is NISmopar the same as Mopar? The dealerships said they wouldn't touch anything aftermarket and had to come from Mopar. Just making sure before i spend the money. Thanks in advance. This is the kit im looking to purchase. https://nismopar.com/catalog/produc...dd-passive-entry-front-doors-kit/category/26/
The kit you have linked does not include the rear antenna and harness. This would be the full kit with rear antenna- https://nismopar.com/2019-2021-ram-1500-dt-add-passive-entry-complete-kit
If you are installing it yourself, I can save you a few hundred with the harness kit that I build, just PM me if you’re interested. Check into this thread for a full writeup on installing and programming it yourself- https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/adding-passive-entry-how-to.22274/

mmorante

Reaction score
The kit you have linked does not include the rear antenna and harness. This would be the full kit with rear antenna- https://nismopar.com/2019-2021-ram-1500-dt-add-passive-entry-complete-kit
If you are installing it yourself, I can save you a few hundred with the harness kit that I build, just PM me if you’re interested. Check into this thread for a full writeup on installing and programming it yourself- https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/adding-passive-entry-how-to.22274/
Correct. I was looking just to install the two front doors, But after contacting Mopar, they advised that I need to purchase the complete kit if the dealership was going to install it for me or else I would receive a DTC error. I woukd typically insall it myself, but this is oneof those things I would rather a Ram certified professional do for me being that it's my only form of transportation and if things go south, I would be screwed. Do you happen to have a video walkthough of the steps? I've read the instructions on the link, but it was very confusing to someone who doesnt know much about cars or trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread