5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes please - I have never messed around with AlfaOBD and this mod is definitely enough to finally enter this realm.

THANK YOU.
I agree, this is a whole new world to me as well. Im not necessarily comfortable doing it so a step by step would be immensely helpful!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, this is a whole new world to me as well. Im not necessarily comfortable doing it so a step by step would be immensely helpful!
Yes please - I have never messed around with AlfaOBD and this mod is definitely enough to finally enter this realm.

THANK YOU.

I will work on getting this put together over the weekend and hopefully be able to get it posted sometime next week.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw it out there in advance of me posting a “how-to”.....but if anyone is within range of the Wichita, KS area and wanting to get this done, I’m more than willing to save you the cost of everything required for the programming side and make the changes needed with AlfaOBD.

I know it’s a long shot on anyone in this area already having the hardware ready to install, but figured it would be a way to verify on another truck that this works for sure.

That being said, even if you don’t have the stuff yet, or get it after I put up a new thread, if you are in the area, or want to make the drive, reach out to me and we can arrange a way to get it done.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing to note, fobik safe will be enabled by default along with passive entry, so if you are in the habit of locking the doors from the button inside the driver's door as you get out, it will auto-unlock and honk the horn 3x.
Something is still not quite right, then, if I’m understanding what you are describing correctly. If you are in the truck, and you shut it off, then open the door and push the lock button on the interior door switch, then exit the truck WITH the fob, and close the door, nothing should happen. The truck should remain locked, and no horn honks.
The only time the door should automatically unlock after it’s closed, and 3 short horn honks, is if the fob is left in the truck. The two in-cab antennae will sense the fob is still inside the truck.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something is still not quite right, then, if I’m understanding what you are describing correctly. If you are in the truck, and you shut it off, then open the door and push the lock button on the interior door switch, then exit the truck WITH the fob, and close the door, nothing should happen. The truck should remain locked, and no horn honks.
The only time the door should automatically unlock after it’s closed, and 3 short horn honks, is if the fob is left in the truck. The two in-cab antennae will sense the fob is still inside the truck.

That’s how I interpreted it initially as well. It does work a little different with the PE actually functional vs just enabled and non-functional as I had previously dealt with.

Prior to getting it to work, as soon as I hit the lock button on the inside it would unlock/honk, regardless of where I was standing with the fob.

Now, with the PE functional, if I shut the truck off, open the door, step to the ground, hit the lock button on the inside control...I get nothing.

As soon as I close the door, I immediately get the auto-unlock and 3 chirps.

My other fob is in the basement where it has been since the day I bought the truck, 45+ feet away and underground.

I know the antennas are in the rear door, but I would think they should work in conjunction with the 2 that are in the cab to verify that at least one fob is outside the cab and not trigger the alert.

It’s not a huge deal, as I’m just happy as hell it’s working, but I am curious if there’s something we’re missing as the 2019 Grand Cherokee I have here does not respond the same way if I get out and lock the doors from the inside.

Perhaps I needed to have both fobs in the truck initially so the system “reconfirms” them both? I think I’ve only used the 2nd fob once in 4 months. But since they both have had no issues functioning I don’t really think this would be the case.

Last edited:

racerxxxr

Reaction score
Is it possible to disable the fobik safe after everything is done without disabling the passive entry? Maybe to get back the original door locking on exit function back? Just wondering...

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes-I disables fobik safe after adding passive entry; and it still continues to function, and I don’t get the honk from my habit of locking the doors with the inside lock button as I hop out. Just don’t lock your fob in your truck!

racerxxxr

Reaction score
All in all I will be happy for the passive entry, the rest is small to me. I just ordered everything I need. Handle, harnesses, software etc;
Thanks so much for figuring this out.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All in all I will be happy for the passive entry, the rest is small to me. I just ordered everything I need. Handle, harnesses, software etc;
Thanks so much for figuring this out.
Do you have the Non NAV 8.4 or NAV?

JSoptionpro

Reaction score
I'm interested in the How-to. It will be very helpful. It has been a pain trying to find the correct part numbers of all the parts for my truck.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in the How-to. It will be very helpful. It has been a pain trying to find the correct part numbers of all the parts for my truck.
Send me a PM with your VIN, I'll get you the part #s...

mackenziekelley

Reaction score
I haven’t seen much talk about this working on a 2500, any idea if it’d be the same parts? I have a 2019 2500 bighorn.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t seen much talk about this working on a 2500, any idea if it’d be the same parts? I have a 2019 2500 bighorn.
Different parts- the handles are one unit, and the same as the 4th gens. Same procedure with AlfaOBD, although I believe there is a wrong setting being made, and possibly a setting that is not populating in the BCM list, because the fobik safe doesn’t seem to be working the way it does on a factory equipped truck. I’ve been running a bunch of BCM logs through WinMerge the last couple days to try and figure it out.

slicktop

Reaction score
Sorry if there's a better way to do this, but I'm just commenting right now to follow along and not lose this thread. I'm SO mad my truck doesn't have this from the factory.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry if there's a better way to do this, but I'm just commenting right now to follow along and not lose this thread. I'm SO mad my truck doesn't have this from the factory.
You can do it now!

slicktop

Reaction score
You can do it now!
two questions: First, can I add OEM remote start as well, and have it all work through Uconnect? Or does that still have to be done by the stealership in order to get the app to recognize and work with it?
Second, since I do NOT have remote start, I would need to replace the key/fobik/whatever anyways, correct?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
First, can I add OEM remote start as well, and have it all work through Uconnect? Or does that still have to be done by the stealership in order to get the app to recognize and work with it?
You need the dealership for that.
And if you don't have NAV then you won't be able to start the truck from the app even if you add remote start system with new fobs.

Second, since I do NOT have remote start, I would need to replace the key/fobik/whatever anyways, correct?
No. Your fobs and truck are "proximity ready", you can use the same fobs you have.

slicktop

Reaction score
You need the dealership for that.
And if you don't have NAV then you won't be able to start the truck from the app even if you add remote start system with new fobs.

No. Your fobs and truck are "proximity ready", you can use the same fobs you have.
I do have the 8.4 NAV, but my remotes do NOT have the remote start button on them. So it sounds like the most cost effective thing to do would be to get the thieving devils to add the remote start, and then I can add the prox parts and the trailer brake controller and then "activate" everything through AlfaOBD. Am I on the right track?

Also, I have body colored door handles due to the sport package; will I lose that going to the prox handles?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I do have the 8.4 NAV, but my remotes do NOT have the remote start button on them. So it sounds like the most cost effective thing to do would be to get the thieving devils to add the remote start, and then I can add the prox parts and the trailer brake controller and then "activate" everything through AlfaOBD. Am I on the right track?
If you want to do the programming, You don't need the Dealership for anything then.... Just buy the parts and do everything yourself...

Also, I have body colored door handles due to the sport package; will I lose that going to the prox handles?
No. You can send me your VIN and i will send you parts list with Body-colored handles.

Users who are viewing this thread