5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

Sean66

Reaction score
So kind of related question, I have everything working fine the only odd thing is after the truck is unlocked when grabbing either passive entry handle you can hear it trying to unlock the doors again. It seems the truck should already know the doors are unlocked, did I miss a setting in Alfa OBD possibly? None of our other vehicles with passive entry do that.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So kind of related question, I have everything working fine the only odd thing is after the truck is unlocked when grabbing either passive entry handle you can hear it trying to unlock the doors again. It seems the truck should already know the doors are unlocked, did I miss a setting in Alfa OBD possibly? None of our other vehicles with passive entry do that.
You would think, but no, it is how it works.

Sean66

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and conformation Vincent. I already have the rain sensor to swap out with the stock humidity sensor. Did you add the ACC, front collision warning, lane sense and auto park features or were they factory upgrades? If you added the features how mich did they cost?

thanks

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and conformation Vincent. I already have the rain sensor to swap out with the stock humidity sensor. Did you add the ACC, front collision warning, lane sense and auto park features or were they factory upgrades? If you added the features how mich did they cost?

thanks
Yes, I added it. It was about $3,000.

phoneman

Reaction score
Does anyone know the Aptiv part number for the pins for a 2021 3500? I bought the ones on the parts list but those are too big.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know the Aptiv part number for the pins for a 2021 3500? I bought the ones on the parts list but those are too big.

@Jimmy07, would you happen to know which terminals phoneman is looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoFloRebel

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the door handle passive entry features (magnet/wiring I’m assuming?) can be swapped to another handle? I have a 21 Rebel with the night edition package and am having trouble finding the black plastic handle with passive entry to match the others.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the door handle passive entry features (magnet/wiring I’m assuming?) can be swapped to another handle? I have a 21 Rebel with the night edition package and am having trouble finding the black plastic handle with passive entry to match the others.

If you’re talking about the textured black handles, they aren’t available with the PE feature. If you want to swap just the plastic covers it’s possible, you would just have to cut a hole for the button. Without looking back at the whole thread, I believe another member did this, there should be some photos I took for him showing how the covers come off in somewhere in here.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I am interested in doing this to my bighorn. Or paying for someone to do it for me. I live in Northern MN. This looks pretty involved for my level of expertise, or lack of expertise.

Does anyone have a ballpark of what this costs?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in doing this to my bighorn. Or paying for someone to do it for me. I live in Northern MN. This looks pretty involved for my level of expertise, or lack of expertise.

Does anyone have a ballpark of what this costs?
$400-500 For:
2 Handles
2 Caps
3 Wire harnesses from @Jimmy07
1 Tailgate antenna
Dealer programming if needed(I added $150 for that, you can program it yourself for less than $100 worth of parts that you can use later for other upgrades or modifications)

SoFloRebel

Reaction score
If you’re talking about the textured black handles, they aren’t available with the PE feature. If you want to swap just the plastic covers it’s possible, you would just have to cut a hole for the button. Without looking back at the whole thread, I believe another member did this, there should be some photos I took for him showing how the covers come off in somewhere in here.

Appreciate it

aswain511

Reaction score
Another success! Did the passenger side first, taking my time but nothing seemed to go right. I ended up in my driveway for almost 8 hours. Decided to do the drivers side today, the stars aligned and everything went smoothly, first time lining up and no catches...I'm stoked! Had enough daylight to get the tailgate antenna in, and of course I got ****y, rushed and did a horrible job routing the wire, so I decided to fix it. I busted the solder on the pins so I have a little rework to.

Now, and I'm really embarrassed, I can't get my fat sausage fingers in far enough to disconnect the SGW cable (unless I just can't feel the latch). Not sure if anyone else has felt my pain on this.

Thanks to all for the write up and lessons learned!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another success! Did the passenger side first, taking my time but nothing seemed to go right. I ended up in my driveway for almost 8 hours. Decided to do the drivers side today, the stars aligned and everything went smoothly, first time lining up and no catches...I'm stoked! Had enough daylight to get the tailgate antenna in, and of course I got ****y, rushed and did a horrible job routing the wire, so I decided to fix it. I busted the solder on the pins so I have a little rework to.

Now, and I'm really embarrassed, I can't get my fat sausage fingers in far enough to disconnect the SGW cable (unless I just can't feel the latch). Not sure if anyone else has felt my pain on this.

Thanks to all for the write up and lessons learned!

Once you figure out where the little clips are it should come out pretty simple. They are on the outer side, you should be able to reach up in there with your right hand and get them with your thumb. You just need to press them lightly and you should be able to slide the connectors right out.

aswain511

Reaction score
Once you figure out where the little clips are it should come out pretty simple. They are on the outer side, you should be able to reach up in there with your right hand and get them with your thumb. You just need to press them lightly and you should be able to slide the connectors right out.

Thank you. I felt awesome being able to do this whole process, only to have it crash down from embarrassment.

phoneman

Reaction score
I went through the entire procedure and when I try to lock the doors from the door button and then close it I get the 3 honks and doors unlock. Also the lock button in the doors does not do anything and the doors do not unlock when I walk up or touch the door handle or the door handle button. The passive door locks function IS in the UConnect settings.

Thoughts?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I went through the entire procedure and when I try to lock the doors from the door button and then close it I get the 3 honks and doors unlock. Also the lock button in the doors does not do anything and the doors do not unlock when I walk up or touch the door handle or the door handle button. The passive door locks function IS in the UConnect settings.

Thoughts?
Did you install the rear antenna? I would suggest going through all the settings again in AlfaODB. Just to make sure.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thoughts?

If the rear antenna is not connected, the 3 honks you get when using the interior lock button is due to a fault with fobiksafe since it is looking for the 5th antenna now and not finding it.

If the handles are non-responsive when trying to either lock with the button, or unlock by touching the pad on the backside, then the terminals are either in the wrong position/something unplugged, or you missed a setting in the bcm.

Make sure the last setting in the list “cust.program….” Is set to “enabled”. This is the setting that enables the PE. Go through and double check each setting. If they are all correct, then the terminals are likely not seated in the connectors, or the handles aren’t plugged in.

phoneman

Reaction score
Did you install the rear antenna? I would suggest going through all the settings again in AlfaODB. Just to make sure.
Yes the rear antenna is connected. I’m going to go through the whole installation again to see if I can find anything.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Hey just curious if there are any updates on which LED light upgrades for all the interior and also the cargo lamp wont mess with the PE function. I know some had issues with this b4. Thanks.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey just curious if there are any updates on which LED light upgrades for all the interior and also the cargo lamp wont mess with the PE function. I know some had issues with this b4. Thanks.

It’s not just the PE that’s affected. It’s the antennas picking up on the actual fob itself. I still get the occasional issue with mine using diode dynamic led’s in the chmsl, even though I have ferrite chokes on the wiring. But I’ve learned to just live with it now.

Users who are viewing this thread