5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

sholtz21

Reaction score
Hi all! New to this forum. I've had my 2019 1500 Big Horn for about month now. I stumbled onto the passive entry and it's something I'd really like to have, although I'm not confident enough on doing the work on this truck. I've been reading up on all the posts I could find, and this one truly does seem to have the most information. You guys are amazing with all the work you've put in. I'm little away for attempting it, but I would curious is there was anyone in the Twin Cities that would be willing to help me out.

Scyllint

Reaction score
mounted 2.jpg
"Either zip tie it up out of the way or find some kind of fasteners to mount to the factory holes. The dummy plug has a retainer clip plugged into one of the holes. I tapped 2 sheetrock anchors into the holes and screwed the antenna in with 2 sheetrock screws. Its not perfect but it is surprisingly stable. We’ll see how it holds up." (HD tailgate antenna)

Messing around under there today and checked the antenna, still there! (y)

Alptbird

Reaction score
two cosmetic questions.
are the front a rear handle the same on a crew cab?
are the new Caps necessary Or are the part number listed incase someone breaks theirs or is swapping from a one color to another. And the old one already on the truck would work?

I just ordered the harnesses from Jimmy07, but wanted to get the info together.

I noticed the handles are for all the truck colors but the delmonico red, and surfing the parts site I can't find a plane Delmonico red I have to get the Dark garnet red which is close enough but it has the chrome insert. and I don't want to have two doors with the chrome insert and two plane. I know i can order the rear with the insert too but if i can make All 4 doors passive entry then that would be great.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
two cosmetic questions.
are the front a rear handle the same on a crew cab?
are the new Caps necessary Or are the part number listed incase someone breaks theirs or is swapping from a one color to another. And the old one already on the truck would work?

I just ordered the harnesses from Jimmy07, but wanted to get the info together.

I noticed the handles are for all the truck colors but the delmonico red, and surfing the parts site I can't find a plane Delmonico red I have to get the Dark garnet red which is close enough but it has the chrome insert. and I don't want to have two doors with the chrome insert and two plane. I know i can order the rear with the insert too but if i can make All 4 doors passive entry then that would be great.
All 4 handles are the same as far as fitment goes, but the ones for PE have the required wiring. The caps for PE have magnets in them and are required for the front.

Here's the part number for the Garnet color (without chrome) that support PE. Double check them on your own to be sure. You could also try calling a dealer and having them look up handles using your VIN that support the PE function.

Handles - 6CV64NRVAD
Cap, Left - 6CV50NRVAC
Cap, Right - 6CV52NRVAB

Alptbird

Reaction score
All 4 handles are the same as far as fitment goes, but the ones for PE have the required wiring. The caps for PE have magnets in them and are required for the front.

Here's the part number for the Garnet color (without chrome) that support PE. Double check them on your own to be sure. You could also try calling a dealer and having them look up handles using your VIN that support the PE function.

Handles - 6CV64NRVAD
Cap, Left - 6CV50NRVAC
Cap, Right - 6CV52NRVAB
thank you sir! that makes sense on the caps.

Matt43

Reaction score
I added the passive entry with alfaobd as explained in the thread. I also have a tazer DT.
I had to take the truck to the dealer for adding a fob.
I unmarried the tazer, plugged the wires into the OEM security, and removed the KAOdTECH security bypass harness.
the next morning, passive entry was gone from my doors and locks page in settings.
The handles didn’t lock and unlock the truck.
would the unmarry cause this?
should I just try to add in the settings again and Hope for the best?
also, we shouldnt need to unhook the security bypass harness completely for a dealer visit? Seems like it would be inert if it was not plugged into the OEM OBD port and just tucked up in there out of sight?

cesar.soria

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg

it’s been a while but are you still making these? Do you have any of these available? I just realized we can add passive entry to our trucks and I kind of wanna do it now. What’s your asking price? Thanks

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I added the passive entry with alfaobd as explained in the thread. I also have a tazer DT.
I had to take the truck to the dealer for adding a fob.
I unmarried the tazer, plugged the wires into the OEM security, and removed the KAOdTECH security bypass harness.
the next morning, passive entry was gone from my doors and locks page in settings.
The handles didn’t lock and unlock the truck.
would the unmarry cause this?
should I just try to add in the settings again and Hope for the best?
also, we shouldnt need to unhook the security bypass harness completely for a dealer visit? Seems like it would be inert if it was not plugged into the OEM OBD port and just tucked up in there out of sight?
Yes, you need to add them back. If the dealer did an update, it will revert to what your truck was from the factory. You only need to make sure the ODB harness is plugged in like stock.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it’s been a while but are you still making these? Do you have any of these available? I just realized we can add passive entry to our trucks and I kind of wanna do it now. What’s your asking price? Thanks
I sent you a PM

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...we shouldnt need to unhook the security bypass harness completely for a dealer visit? Seems like it would be inert if it was not plugged into the OEM OBD port and just tucked up in there out of sight?
You have to pay to play. If you want to save some effort and risk it then that's your decision to roll the dice.

I am sure most dealerships are not as critical but is it worth risking your basic warranty for the time it takes to pull a couple of plugs and change a few settings:

Nismofreak

Reaction score
Anyone willing to do the install for some $$$ for me? If you are close to the eastern United States, I'll drive out to you. Had a rental with passive entry and it really is convenient to have when you only have one arm.

riveralg79

Reaction score
Anyone willing to do the install for some $$$ for me? If you are close to the eastern United States, I'll drive out to you. Had a rental with passive entry and it really is convenient to have when you only have one arm.

Me too, anyone in Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshuaaT

Reaction score
Just did this on my 2021 Ram 2500. I was able to do all four doors without removing the inner plastic door card. Thanks @Jimmy07 for the harnesses!

I would be happy to help anyone in Utah do this upgrade.

RemyP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone in Southern California able to get this successfully completed? I am willing to try with a helping hand from someone. Willing to travel a bit of a distance to get this done, I have had passive entry previously and would love to do it on my HD

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
Hi all! New to this forum. I've had my 2019 1500 Big Horn for about month now. I stumbled onto the passive entry and it's something I'd really like to have, although I'm not confident enough on doing the work on this truck. I've been reading up on all the posts I could find, and this one truly does seem to have the most information. You guys are amazing with all the work you've put in. I'm little away for attempting it, but I would curious is there was anyone in the Twin Cities that would be willing to help me out.
Where you able to find anyone to help you out? If so, could you forward them on to me? I live about 3 hours north of the cities but would definitely make the drive to get this done.

RemyP

Reaction score
Just did this on my 2021 Ram 2500. I was able to do all four doors without removing the inner plastic door card. Thanks @Jimmy07 for the harnesses!

I would be happy to help anyone in Utah do this upgrade.
Utah is about a 10 hour drive but I cant find anyone closer I might have to take you up on this offer lol

swing4terps

Reaction score
I've read through this whole thing once, albeit many months ago. Had a couple questions; was hoping I could get some quick answers rather than scanning the whole thread again.

Was side-swiped at slow speed unfortunately and the repair MIGHT require a full repaint of the driver side of the truck. Figured if there was ever a time to do this mod, it might be now. Especially because I have a BTS and would need to replace all the handles (likely painted Tank Green) since textured aren't available in PE variety.

1) Body shop said they would remove all trim and handles to repaint. Does removing the handles require removal of the interior door panel? If it does, might as well do the harness at the same time. Even if it doesn't, it would be a good time to get four handles painted to match and I know I can relatively easily swap them myself if I want to do the harness later.

2) Can you only install PE on the driver's side? Or does it have to be both front doors to work properly?

Thanks in advance!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've read through this whole thing once, albeit many months ago. Had a couple questions; was hoping I could get some quick answers rather than scanning the whole thread again.

Was side-swiped at slow speed unfortunately and the repair MIGHT require a full repaint of the driver side of the truck. Figured if there was ever a time to do this mod, it might be now. Especially because I have a BTS and would need to replace all the handles (likely painted Tank Green) since textured aren't available in PE variety.

1) Body shop said they would remove all trim and handles to repaint. Does removing the handles require removal of the interior door panel? If it does, might as well do the harness at the same time. Even if it doesn't, it would be a good time to get four handles painted to match and I know I can relatively easily swap them myself if I want to do the harness later.

2) Can you only install PE on the driver's side? Or does it have to be both front doors to work properly?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, the door panels need to be removed. And yes, you can install on both front doors.

Users who are viewing this thread