5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE that if you only install one handle you will not be able to lock the doors using the lock/unlock switch on the inside door arm rest (you will have to use either the key fob or the outside door handle push button after you have closed all doors)
Not true... I have one handle installed and all the antennas and I can lock the truck from the interior buttons. The fobik-safe started working fine for me as soon as I installed the rear bumper antenna.
The handles has nothing to do with fobik-safe, just the antennas...

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How's that? Wouldn't you still need to install the wiring? If so I need are the door handles, I might do it on the rear.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque
I believe he is just wanting to replace the handles to match the front when adding the PE. The BTS trucks come with the matte black handles, which are not available with PE, so to get all the handles to match, you need to replace them all with a color of your choosing.

I'm still working on getting the PE done in the rear, it's just slipped behind a few other projects lately. I will follow up on the status of sourcing the terminals today.

parnine

Reaction score
Not true... I have one handle installed and all the antennas and I can lock the truck from the interior buttons. The fobik-safe started working fine for me as soon as I installed the rear bumper antenna.
The handles has nothing to do with fobik-safe, just the antennas...
what is ....'Not true'?

I said "if you only install one handle", thus ONLY ONE HANDLE is installed, thus no rear antenna is installed as the rear antenna is NOT included in ONLY ONE HANDLE, so it is not going to work, as I said - "For True" :)

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
what is ....'Not true'?

I said "if you only install one handle", thus ONLY ONE HANDLE is installed, thus no rear antenna is installed as the rear antenna is NOT included in ONLY ONE HANDLE, so it is not going to work, as I said - "For True" :)
Ohhh gotcha gotcha gotcha!!!!
I didn't think you meant 'if you only do one small portion of this install" haha
Sorry...

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ohhh gotcha gotcha gotcha!!!!
I didn't think you meant 'if you only do one small portion of this install" haha
Sorry...
Yeah, I did everything except the passenger side. I have the handle, just ran out of time.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I did everything except the passenger side. I have the handle, just ran out of time.

I did the same thing... Didn't have time to do the passenger handle... The only problem is, I did mine more then a year and a half ago :LOL:

tgamache21

Reaction score
I've been following the thread and was just curious if anyone can provide me the OEM parts numbers for the driver/passenger/rear harnesses and rear antenna. I have them about to add the GXD code to my vin and they requested the part numbers. I have a 21 ram BTS.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I've been following the thread and was just curious if anyone can provide me the OEM parts numbers for the driver/passenger/rear harnesses and rear antenna. I have them about to add the GXD code to my vin and they requested the part numbers. I have a 21 ram BTS.
STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING and follow this thread from the beginning:

tgamache21

Reaction score
STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING and follow this thread from the beginning:
I've read almost the entire thread, trying to get them to add the code before installing anything or going the alphaobd route.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I've read almost the entire thread, trying to get them to add the code before installing anything or going the alphaobd route.
Since you read the thread, then you have the part numbers already since everything is listed in the beginning posts.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can't add the code to your VIN. You have to go the AlfaOBD way...
And you have all of the part #s in the first page of this thread. Get the harnesses from @Jimmy07 , it'll be cheaper and easier to just add a harness rather than replace the entire door/bumper harness.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
That worked great. Had to use needle nose pliers to push it into the terminal hard enough but snapped in like you said. Once I unwrapped the existing tape around the rubber sleeve there was plenty of room to fit the new wires through. Hope the hole I made on the passenger door sleeve doesn't cause problems in the future.

Followed the AlfaODB instructions and it works! Have to basically redo the drivers side door to fish out my 10mm socket that fell in there when tightening the window bolts, but this goes way faster each time.

Points that helped me out:

• Removing the rubber boot off the door to body connector helped a ton. Spent nearly an hour trying to hit the clips wedging a flathead in there. Removed the boot from the bottom half and hitting them was easy. Theres levers a bit further away from the body designed to be pressed, but they cant be reached with the rubber covering on.
  • Absolutely buy painters tape before starting. Didnt see that step till my truck was already in a non-drivable state and attempted to make due with electrical tape. It kept stretching, putting the window in the way of machinery inside and left a lot of junk on the window when I was done.
  • Reattaching the door handle was the hardest part by far. The internal parts are a beast to get back into place to be ready for the handle parts to be reattached. 1. Reattach this before reconnecting the door latch or all the bolts that you took off the door. You'll need as much play as possible to wedge this guy in to the correct place. 2. Feed the wire that connects to the door handle out through the door handle hole before you try reattaching the internal parts. Otherwise you'll have to undo everything to reach it. 3. The back part of the internal assembly has a little clip that has to be seated outside the door. When undoing everything you loosened a torx screw and probably didnt notice that tab holding things in place on the back half. 4. Use a flathead screwdriver to reach into a hole on the back half to pull it towards you before sliding the assembly backwards to fit that tab in place. Once you pull the torx screw into place on the front, the back half will push itself deeper into the door. You need a way to keep both halves pulled towards you. 5. Once the back tab and front torx screw are in the right places, make sure the torx screw is centered vertically. Look at how much plastic you see in the front hole and make sure it's symmetrical. Otherwise things will be very tight and when you try to insert the main handle piece it will pull the internal assembly out of place. That will make everything crooked and might not be able to move the handle at all when you're done. Once the front handle can slide in easily, finally tighten the torx screw fully to keep it in place when you finish installing the handle.
Time to tackle the tailgate. That looks far easier.

This post helps a ton - some specific details the instructions don’t contain that will be worth reviewing.
Another point - really look at how the wiring is routed for the harness that runs to the handle. You can see where it goes in the pictures at the beginning, worth it to know inside and out.
First side took me all morning because I kept missing small details. Second side took me like an hour and half, rear harness an hour - and I’m not handy, doing it in a driveway with crap tools.
For the tailgate I used a good strip of double sided tape to hold the antenna in it’s intended location - this avoids having to drop the tire and do too much work finding screws etc. just used a bunch of zip ties on the harness so if tape fails I’ll have a dangling antenna not one that drags on the ground.
You guys that put in all the leg work are amazing, an awesome mod that works flawlessly following the directions.

YotaGuy

Reaction score
I’m going to be doing this on my 21 2500, but I’d like to break the install down into 3 parts. My question is if I do the rear antenna and Alfa OBD setup first will the doors unlock with the tailgate or does only the tailgate work with the rear antenna.

I’ve ordered
Mx+ OBD reader
Koad sgw bypass
Harnesses from jimmy
And driver and passenger door handles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
I’m going to be doing this on my 21 2500, but I’d like to break the install down into 3 parts. My question is if I do the rear antenna and Alfa OBD setup first will the doors unlock with the tailgate or does only the tailgate work with the rear antenna.

I’ve ordered
Mx+ OBD reader
Koad sgw bypass
Harnesses from jimmy
And driver and passenger door handles

Only the tailgate will unlock.

YotaGuy

Reaction score
Only the tailgate will unlock.

Thank you guess I’ll start with the driver door first, one other question, what do you guys prefer the windows or android version of alfaobd?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thank you guess I’ll start with the driver door first, one other question, what do you guys prefer the windows or android version of alfaobd?

I use the android version with my phone.

Patamaran

Reaction score
what are BTS and bighorn owners doing about the fact that the PE handle caps have a key hole in them for the passenger side? since the Bighorns dont have locks in their passenger doors doesnt that leave a glaring hole in the door handle?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
what are BTS and bighorn owners doing about the fact that the PE handle caps have a key hole in them for the passenger side? since the Bighorns dont have locks in their passenger doors doesnt that leave a glaring hole in the door handle?
What do you mean? No Ram DT has a key hole on the passenger door.
You just buy a prox-capable cap without the hole.
i.e:
Left(with key hole): 6CV50KXJAC
Right(no key hole): 6CV52KXJAB

Str8Ripon

Reaction score

Alternatively I use the Windows version and a WiFi reader and have zero issues - either should work fine and if you dig around you can find instructions for both/figure it out. I didn’t have an android device and figured I could make it work/didn’t feel like spending any extra money.

To be honest once it’s paired and you’ve connected to the BCM once it’s comically easy.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question about the "Passive Entry System". Passive as in walk up to the truck with the FOB in your pocket, you pull the handle and the door opens. You leave the truck, close the door.
Now the question. Do you have to push the button on the handle to lock it or you walk away and the doors auto lock?

Users who are viewing this thread