5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question about the "Passive Entry System". Passive as in walk up to the truck with the FOB in your pocket, you pull the handle and the door opens. You leave the truck, close the door.
Now the question. Do you have to push the button on the handle to lock it or you walk away and the doors auto lock?
You have to push the button.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question about the "Passive Entry System". Passive as in walk up to the truck with the FOB in your pocket, you pull the handle and the door opens. You leave the truck, close the door.
Now the question. Do you have to push the button on the handle to lock it or you walk away and the doors auto lock?
You must push the button. I wish it had the ability to auto lock once the FOB is out of range. It would also be cool if the puddle lights would come on as you approach.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So much for "Passive Entry System", still better than finding the FOB in your pockets.
It is still technically passive entry. It's just the exit part that's not passive, just more convenient.

Probably why they didn't call it Passive Proximity.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It is still technically passive entry. It's just the exit part that's not passive, just more convenient.

So it is passive entry, but not passive exit. Whatever you want to call it, I still like it and I'm glad I added it.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will install it in mine, so I can keep my FOB in my pocket.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you get used to locking the door via the inside button as you exit, it's a little more convenient than reaching up to hit the button on the outside handle. As long as you have all the antennas installed, fobik safe will warn you if you accidentally leave a fob inside the truck.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If you get used to locking the door via the inside button as you exit, it's a little more convenient than reaching up to hit the button on the outside handle. As long as you have all the antennas installed, fobik safe will warn you if you accidentally leave a fob inside the truck.
Also, allows you to lock the doors while they are still open instead of waiting for everyone to close the doors before pushing the outside button.

Last edited:

Ethanol2

Reaction score
Anyone getting buzz noises from their doors after the install? When playing music, especially podcasts I hear vibrations in the doors. I dont think that was there before. Very happy to have passive entry.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Anyone getting buzz noises from their doors after the install? When playing music, especially podcasts I hear vibrations in the doors. I dont think that was there before. Very happy to have passive entry.
No, everything is still solid. There must be something loose.

TNrover

Reaction score
Finally got around to attempting this today. Few minor issues routing door wiring (hung on window) and getting the handle back on. Wasn’t a super easy mod for me, but this is by far the best upgrade I have done. Thanks for the write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethanol2

Reaction score
No, everything is still solid. There must be something loose.

Used power tools to tighten the bolds up and all the clips lined up when I put the door back on. Did you use a rubber hammer or anything to really smack them into place harder?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Used power tools to tighten the bolds up and all the clips lined up when I put the door back on. Did you use a rubber hammer or anything to really smack them into place harder?
No, I tightened everything and then pressed the door panel back. I used my hand to pound around the door clips.

Snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Can anyone help me check my homework? In my excitement to finally have new 2500 Cummins I didnt even look at the door handles as I was under the impression Push to Start = Smart Door Handles, oh how wrong I was. Anyway, so far I have the following part #s and think I have the jist down of what needs to be done.

Parts are, 1x 1UJ81LAUAI Door handle Left, 1x 1UJ86LAUAI Door handle Right, 1x 52112204AA Antenna. I am working with Jimmy to buy the harnesses because 1) I dont trust myself to make it look good, 2) His look near factory to me.

My question is do I need an antenna for the both doors and then the rear so 3 total? Do I need two of these, 56046957AA. I want to have the feature of not locking the fob in the car (ive had that happen on my tacoma but the doors immediately unlock). I am also going to go with the Koadtech SGW bypass and the OBDlinkEx as I will be using a windows computer. Am I missing something here? Id like to make sure I have everthing before I start ordering parts to save on shipping costs. I appreciate anyone that could offer their input for me.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone help me check my homework? In my excitement to finally have new 2500 Cummins I didnt even look at the door handles as I was under the impression Push to Start = Smart Door Handles, oh how wrong I was. Anyway, so far I have the following part #s and think I have the jist down of what needs to be done.

Parts are, 1x 1UJ81LAUAI Door handle Left, 1x 1UJ86LAUAI Door handle Right, 1x 52112204AA Antenna. I am working with Jimmy to buy the harnesses because 1) I dont trust myself to make it look good, 2) His look near factory to me.

My question is do I need an antenna for the both doors and then the rear so 3 total? Do I need two of these, 56046957AA. I want to have the feature of not locking the fob in the car (ive had that happen on my tacoma but the doors immediately unlock). I am also going to go with the Koadtech SGW bypass and the OBDlinkEx as I will be using a windows computer. Am I missing something here? Id like to make sure I have everthing before I start ordering parts to save on shipping costs. I appreciate anyone that could offer their input for me.
Just one antenna for the rear- 56046957AA. All other antennas are present. Those are the correct front proximity handles for granite crystal body color w/o chrome.

ramracked

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg
These still being built?? Id like pricing if so!

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I did the install and everything works perfectly. When I was testing the unlock/lock feature, I opened the door, headlights came on like normal, closed the doors and I walked away form the truck about 10 to 15 feet. The headlights turned off after awhile, then, exactly 30 seconds later all doors locked themselves. I tried that 3 times in a row and every time the headlights go out and 30 seconds later the doors locked. I thought that is great. Went on to other things, like changed my DRL's to the turn signals and installed the sensors for the park assist and programmed the feature. Everything is working perfectly, even the self parking went fine. After that, I rechecked everything, but the self locking stopped working. I have no clue why. There has to be a function for the self locking feature when you walk away with FOB in your pocket. Could not duplicate it anymore.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
There has to be a function for the self locking feature when you walk away with FOB in your pocket. Could not duplicate it anymore.
There's no auto-lock feature when stepping away...
The only time it'll lock it automatically is when you touch the handle to unlock but don't open any door.

Users who are viewing this thread