5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy and add the factory trailer brake controller on a truck that didn’t come with it? My truck has virtually everything I wanted, except the brake controller, so I’d like to add the factory one if it’s not too difficult to do.

I know aftermarket is probably better, and cheaper, but I’ll rarely use it. so how out of the way the factory piece is seems like a plus to me.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I checked it was possible to add the OEM controller, however the dealerships could not yet order the part for the 2019s. I'll be checking again this week.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck came with some part in the glove box with an extrical harness. I thought it may be related to the brake control but I did not look at it to hard to figure out what it is yet.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck came with some part in the glove box with an extrical harness. I thought it may be related to the brake control but I did not look at it to hard to figure out what it is yet.
It's most likely the connector that you use to cap off the wiring should you take the tailgate off

kjk05006

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy and add the factory trailer brake controller on a truck that didn’t come with it? My truck has virtually everything I wanted, except the brake controller, so I’d like to add the factory one if it’s not too difficult to do.

I know aftermarket is probably better, and cheaper, but I’ll rarely use it. so how out of the way the factory piece is seems like a plus to me.

I had the same question when trying to decide on a truck. I called a ram service center and they said it was no problem. I’m fact he said he had just finished doing one.

Has to flash the code into the system once installed which he said would cost like $150.

I’m just going off what he said as I ended up Factory ordering.

Kidder

Reaction score
I had the same question when trying to decide on a truck. I called a ram service center and they said it was no problem. I’m fact he said he had just finished doing one.

Has to flash the code into the system once installed which he said would cost like $150.

I’m just going off what he said as I ended up Factory ordering.

$150 for five minutes worth of work. Nice. Not.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
Awesome thanks everyone. I’ve got a friend at a local dealership, hopefully he can get me a better price on any kind of programming that needs done for it to work.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Awesome thanks everyone. I’ve got a friend at a local dealership, hopefully he can get me a better price on any kind of programming that needs done for it to work.
Just needs a sales code added and a reconfiguration. I know we charge like 50 bucks for that. But if they charge you anymore than 100 they are bending you over.

AndrewGS

Reaction score
Good too see this post. I'm going to look at a truck tomorrow that was ordered without the TBC and I'm hoping I can get them to toss it into the deal.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
Good too see this post. I'm going to look at a truck tomorrow that was ordered without the TBC and I'm hoping I can get them to toss it into the deal.

I wish I’d have thought of that. But they probably wouldn’t have bit for me since they worked a minor miracle getting me out of my 2017 lease and into the new 2019 just because I found the exact one I was looking for online when shopping for my wife’s grand Cherokee.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The post below explains an after market trailer brake controller. OEM has 2 plugs and needs a sofware update at the dealer for the TBC to show up on the screen and work from the steering wheel. Aftermarket has 1 plug and appears to be a quick and $$$ saving alternative.
5thgenrams.com/community/threads/plug-n-play-harness-brake-controller.1283/#post-31755

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Kinda mad. My dealer and i negotiated to add the brake controller at cost with my truck. Quoted me a price of $658 installed..

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
632.90 to add trailer brake controller AND wheelhouse liners. Mopar instructions for trailer brake controller has 1.2 hours labor for install of trailer brake. Dealer in Michigan can not get either parts even after giving them the part numbers.

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Anyone post up their receipt for trailer brake and installation. Need some ammo on how paying $650 is a rip off

Users who are viewing this thread