5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

KurtA

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy and add the factory trailer brake controller on a truck that didn’t come with it? My truck has virtually everything I wanted, except the brake controller, so I’d like to add the factory one if it’s not too difficult to do.

I know aftermarket is probably better, and cheaper, but I’ll rarely use it. so how out of the way the factory piece is seems like a plus to me.
Yes, I had mine added when I bought the truck... dealer charged me $225 (installed), out of pocket. (A deal!)

Last edited:

Rich B.

Reaction score
Sales rep at the dealership quoted me $449.60 (parts, install labor and programming) for the TBC. However the service department (same dealership) says they can't currently get the part...Anyone else heard of this? Is there a backorder issue? Also, is there a difference in the TBC between the 18' and 19' models? I've seen someone posted the part number so I may just order the part myself.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sales rep at the dealership quoted me $449.60 (parts, install labor and programming) for the TBC. However the service department (same dealership) says they can't currently get the part...Anyone else heard of this? Is there a backorder issue? Also, is there a difference in the TBC between the 18' and 19' models? I've seen someone posted the part number so I may just order the part myself.
I had one dealership that could not find the part despite giving them the part number.

dwells

Reaction score
Supposedly the old part number is 82215278AC as others have stated. However, cross referencing your VIN will show the AC doesn't work, and the part is now 82215278AD. However, the AD part won't be released until Dec 30th, 2018. There are notes out there that some dealerships have the AD model, which I believe is some AC stock that the parts department said they were told to just update the model number.

Anyone know if the available AD's out there (even though AD is in development) would work?

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Ran into the same problem. Can't order as the new number ends with AD and it shows under development.

greggsmith21

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I was looking to add to my new 1500 Limited and I see that they now have 2 part numbers. I guess one may be for the trucks with 12" screen and a different one for the smaller 8" screens? More so for software maybe. Anyone know why they have two part numbers listed now. the last 2 letters is the only difference that I can see.

Mopar All new 1500 Accessories Page

Electronic Trailer Brake Controller
Part Number: 82215278AC

Electronic Trailer Brake Controller
Part Number: 82215278AD

Bram2019

Reaction score
The first number AC superceeds to the second number AD. The AD can be had. Have your local dealer put it on his locator. The usual problem is they are changing the vendor that makes the controller. Or it has a software change. That said there is a hold from the factory right now. But your dealer should be able to get it from another dealer if he trys hard enough.

greggsmith21

Reaction score
The first number AC superceeds to the second number AD. The AD can be had. Have your local dealer put it on his locator. The usual problem is they are changing the vendor that makes the controller. Or it has a software change. That said there is a hold from the factory right now. But your dealer should be able to get it from another dealer if he trys hard enough.
Thanks!!!

2wd

Reaction score
Considering doing this myself and having the dealer reflash the computer.

I have a Big Horn with the 8.4 inch screen. Would I need the AC or the AD part? Or do we know yet the difference? Thanks

Bram2019

Reaction score
Considering doing this myself and having the dealer reflash the computer.

I have a Big Horn with the 8.4 inch screen. Would I need the AC or the AD part? Or do we know yet the difference? Thanks
Did you actually read this thread?

TrackDay

Reaction score
As an update I'm hearing the AD part is on backorder until at least the end of January. The AD change is being called "unplanned" and the supplier needs some time to make the new part.

Bram2019

Reaction score
As an update I'm hearing the AD part is on backorder until at least the end of January. The AD change is being called "unplanned" and the supplier needs some time to make the new part.
Usually when this happens a new vendor has been hired to make the part. China?

TrackDay

Reaction score
Usually when this happens a new vendor has been hired to make the part. China?
Yep, agreed. This has new vendor written all over it. Either that or an issue was found near launch that required a new design, but if they are still building trucks with brake controllers right now, it's likely a new vendor.

2wd

Reaction score
Did you actually read this thread?

No, thanks for the reminder to read the thread. It's clear there is still some speculation about the reason for the 2 part numbers. My dealer has the AC in stock. Wondering if I should wait for the AD. I'll keep reading...

Erock901

Reaction score
Hi. 1st post so hope this can help some peeps waiting for the factory trailer brake kit. I just had my dealership install the factory trailer brake controller in my 2019. Took a bunch of research but found that the kit may not be available for a while but all the parts in the kit are available individually. Please double check these part numbers before buying just in case of a typo.
68277136AF-Module
68309259AB-Switch
68346572AB-Bracket
6510468AA-Nuts (3)
6101946-Screws (3)
Dealership took a couple hours to install since mine was the first one they installed. Instrument display shows trailer brake screens now. Crazy how they can’t just put all these parts together in a bag/kit to make it easier on all of us. Peace.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I think the parts are starting to come in. I was waiting for a factory brake controller and the OEM Power Steps and was not expecting any movement until middle of a February but got a call last week from the dealer that they were in. At the shop as we speak getting installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Hi. 1st post so hope this can help some peeps waiting for the factory trailer brake kit. I just had my dealership install the factory trailer brake controller in my 2019. Took a bunch of research but found that the kit may not be available for a while but all the parts in the kit are available individually. Please double check these part numbers before buying just in case of a typo.
68277136AF-Module
68309259AB-Switch
68346572AB-Bracket
6510468AA-Nuts (3)
6101946-Screws (3)
Dealership took a couple hours to install since mine was the first one they installed. Instrument display shows trailer brake screens now. Crazy how they can’t just put all these parts together in a bag/kit to make it easier on all of us. Peace.
How much did they charge if you don't mind trying?

Erock901

Reaction score
How much did they charge if you don't mind trying?
They gave a discount since i bought the truck at that dealership. Im not sure what retail would be but I paid $160 for all the parts. Then they gave me a discount on the install for $240.

AndreiV

Reaction score
They gave a discount since i bought the truck at that dealership. Im not sure what retail would be but I paid $160 for all the parts. Then they gave me a discount on the install for $240.

So total $400 + Tax?
Seems about the right price to negotiate: OEM part is around $299 + 15% Mopar discount ($255), and I believe istallation instruction calls for 1 man hour of work, assuming they charge $150 an hour, sums up to $400 total.

383Mopar

Reaction score
I also found the perfect truck on the lot, 2019 Laramie crew, 5.7 e torque, minus the trailer brake controller. I had the dealer install it, but they had to wait almost 2 months to get the part. They do need to flash the software to recognize the controller and it correctly shows the trailer brake in the dash menu now. It also registers the vehicle with FCA as a tow capable vehicle, you need the brake controller for trailers over 1000lbs...cost me $600 installed, high I know but got such a deal on the truck no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online