5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

RAMDJ

Reaction score
The trailer brake controller for mine was thrown in as part of the deal. Dealer installed it after the truck got in.

Jimram

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy and add the factory trailer brake controller on a truck that didn’t come with it? My truck has virtually everything I wanted, except the brake controller, so I’d like to add the factory one if it’s not too difficult to do.

I know aftermarket is probably better, and cheaper, but I’ll rarely use it. so how out of the way the factory piece is seems like a plus to me.
I just got mine back from having factory brake controller installed. $516.00 and it works great. Well worth it.

ddrivers

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy and add the factory trailer brake controller on a truck that didn’t come with it? My truck has virtually everything I wanted, except the brake controller, so I’d like to add the factory one if it’s not too difficult to do.

I know aftermarket is probably better, and cheaper, but I’ll rarely use it. so how out of the way the factory piece is seems like a plus to me.
The factory controllers come out April 1st. Service will have to install. Has to be programed in. 299.00 is the cost plus labor at 80.00. That was quote from service.

abody711

Reaction score
I have ordered the parts to install myself. I found the instructions online. Search for "mopar 6862789"

Woods

Reaction score
For those of you trying to get the kit check out this thread. I bought all the parts individually and only spent $130 shipped.

Magredvet

Reaction score
Dealer told me kit is on backorder, until June.
Thanks to this site, and the members, the parts are on their way from Mopar Wholesale parts, at a cost of $120.54 to my door !!
Still have to deal with the outrageous cost of programming, but still it's a huge savings
Gotta love that !

grinch72

Reaction score
Thanks to this site, and the members, the parts are on their way from Mopar Wholesale parts, at a cost of $120.54 to my door !!
Still have to deal with the outrageous cost of programming, but still it's a huge savings
Gotta love that !
Dealer charged me $50 to add the sales code. it shouldn't cost you that much. Took them 10 mins!

acat

Reaction score
The new set is 82215278AE, is there any difference to 82215278AD

Magredvet

Reaction score
Dealer charged me $50 to add the sales code. it shouldn't cost you that much. Took them 10 mins!
Dealer I spoke to wanted 2 hrs labor for install and programming. Guess it's lucky the kit was not in stock.
I'll see what he wants to just program, and if it's way out of line with your experience, I'll go elsewhere.
Thanks for the "heads up"

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score

I assume you installed it yourself and just had the dealer program it? I was planning to install mine but was told the dealer will charge the same amount whether they install it or not. If I can find a dealer to flash it for $50 though that would be awesome.

grinch72

Reaction score
I assume you installed it yourself and just had the dealer program it? I was planning to install mine but was told the dealer will charge the same amount whether they install it or not. If I can find a dealer to flash it for $50 though that would be awesome.
Yes. I installed it myself and told them to flash it during the brake pedal recall.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Yes. I installed it myself and told them to flash it during the brake pedal recall.

Awesome. I am going to install mine then as well. Hopefully I can have my dealer flash it quick when I take the truck in for the recalls and my new center console lid.

grinch72

Reaction score
Awesome. I am going to install mine then as well. Hopefully I can have my dealer flash it quick when I take the truck in for the recalls and my new center console lid.
I used the whole, this thing is full of problems speech to and said you guys should do this cheap for me because of all the hassles. They didn't blink an eye.

acat

Reaction score
Gotta love that !
maybe you got the last one, I order last night, they gave me a mail saying its on backorder

Magredvet

Reaction score
maybe you got the last one, I order last night, they gave me a mail saying its on backorder
You tried to order the kit ?.... or the parts individually ?
The kit is on backorder until June, hence the ordering of the parts individually per the reference post in post #48 of this thread

Last edited:

acat

Reaction score
You tried to order the kit ?.... or the parts individually ?
The kit is on backorder until June, hence the ordering of the parts individually per the reference post in post #48 of this thread
I am ordering the parts individually, and they told me the switch is on back order, tried order these parts from another online store yesterday, see if I get the lucky

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/