5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Factory brake controller?

Magredvet

Reaction score
I am ordering the parts individually, and they told me the switch is on back order, tried order these parts from another online store yesterday, see if I get the lucky
Wow, guess they are beginning to run out of the "old stock" of the switch, due to the kit being on backorder.
Keep trying, hopefully you'll find someone who still has it.

dzal

Reaction score
I located a controller, 82215040AB online. I have a 2019 Ram Classic Lone Star does anyone know if this piece is compatible? I am having difficulty locating the tow controller for the Classic and not for the new ram. Any help is appreciated!

Magredvet

Reaction score
When looking for the DT controller, I found several for the DS (classic) Ram. Try ebay........

Eciampa

Reaction score
After installing the parts should the controller light up or not until the computer gets flashed?

grinch72

Reaction score
After installing the parts should the controller light up or not until the computer gets flashed?
You need to have the dealer add the sales code. Once that happens all will work as expected.

Eciampa

Reaction score
Mine lights up at night if that’s what you mean? Mine hasn’t been programmed yet.
Yes. Thank you. I noticed last night mine lights up. Just the "+ & -". Haven't had it flashed yet. Waiting to do it with the recalls.

SColang22

Reaction score
While install I dropped a nut down the center consule that I can’t retrieve. Anyone know where I can grab one and not pay $10 in shipping for a $.50 part?

SColang22

Reaction score
The cheapest way for me to get a new nut was ordering it through the dealer but I had to order in units of 10. If three people need them let me know and I'll send you them.

Lowzner

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy and add the factory trailer brake controller on a truck that didn’t come with it? My truck has virtually everything I wanted, except the brake controller, so I’d like to add the factory one if it’s not too difficult to do.

I know aftermarket is probably better, and cheaper, but I’ll rarely use it. so how out of the way the factory piece is seems like a plus to me.
I literally just went to the dealership yesterday to get one installed. When I purchased my truck I asked the salesperson if that could be added to my truck because that truck had everything I was looking for except a brake controller. He said that would be no problem but to come back in April because they are out. So yesterday I was told by the service manager that the OE controller won’t work on my truck because it’s suppose to have 2 4 pin connectors under the dash and mine doesn’t. I was not happy at all, so they said they would buy me an aftermarket one and install it for free. Not sure why the OE one can’t be put in when my truck has the towing package!?!? Let me know you hear something different. Might take it to a another Ram dealer.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I literally just went to the dealership yesterday to get one installed. When I purchased my truck I asked the salesperson if that could be added to my truck because that truck had everything I was looking for except a brake controller. He said that would be no problem but to come back in April because they are out. So yesterday I was told by the service manager that the OE controller won’t work on my truck because it’s suppose to have 2 4 pin connectors under the dash and mine doesn’t. I was not happy at all, so they said they would buy me an aftermarket one and install it for free. Not sure why the OE one can’t be put in when my truck has the towing package!?!? Let me know you hear something different. Might take it to a another Ram dealer.

They absolutely should be there. My truck came with a trailer hitch, but no sort of "tow package" and it had 2 plugs under the dash for the brake controller. I actually ended up getting a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 because I got in a time crunch and couldn't wait for the dealer. It's a nice progressive controller which I love, works fantastic, but I would've liked the cleaner install of the factory controller, especially with how rarely I actually tow.

NortheastRebel19

Reaction score
Just to confirm I would remove the panel under the steering wheel. Look for the harness. It will be wrapped in black felt tape.

I just installed my trailer brake controller. It took me about 45 mins to install. I just need it to be flashed by the dealer.

grinch72

Reaction score
Total BS

acat

Reaction score
is it hard to pull the front panel off, kinda of scary to tear down my new truck, lol

Barney556180

Reaction score
Dealer told me kit is on backorder, until June.
Just checked my dealer and was told same thing: BO to June (note kit in development).
I would have expected the development to have been completed and kit ready upon Gen 5 arrival in dealerships.

Users who are viewing this thread