5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Adaptive Cruise Control

rafael_

Reaction score
So i have made some major progress on this. I managed to find a New DASM on ebay for half the price of retail. After a long wait it finally got here today. I swapped it with my current (used) one and fired the truck up. For the first time in literal months there were 0 warnings on my dash. I think this was the missing piece to get this whole thing to work. When i try to turn cruise control on I get a "front radar in plant mode" warning on my dash. To me, this is great news. I now know that the truck is happy with everything i've installed and enabled via alpha and the only thing that's required is to calibrate the radar. After looking at alpha obd I see I have 3 DTCs: C14A4, C2212, C008F. Each of these codes is related to the alignment of the sensor in the windshield. Unfortunately I cannot perform the sensor alignment procedure with the current version of alpha obd.

I have called my dealer that has been great in the past with my side projects to quote me for a cruise alignment. If they won't perform the alignment, i have another backup plan...Safelite glass repair offers to do the alignment procedure when you get a new windshield installed. If the dealer won't do it, i will be trying that next.
Would you happen to have a picture? Im thinking of doing this

tdb0021

Reaction score
Would you happen to have a picture? Im thinking of doing this
Not on hand. I'll take one later. I also plan on doing a complete write up on the procedure once I confirm it's working. It's not an "easy" modification i'd say and certainly not the cheapest but it's certainly doable.

Sage

Reaction score
You smart guys with the programmer, do you think there might be a way to make ACC or the vehicle systems as a whole to do an auto brake hold? This is when you are at the stop light and want to let off the break but it's still holding your brake for you until you touch the gas pedal. I see it not only as a comfort/convenience feature but also a economy consideration (would improve engine stop/start performance) and most importantly a safety feature. I have already almost messed up in stopping close in traffic and then letting off the break, remembering my BMW always has me held. This behavior already works when ACC is active so I am sure it just a little extra work on the RAM engineers. Just a thought.

tdb0021

Reaction score
You smart guys with the programmer, do you think there might be a way to make ACC or the vehicle systems as a whole to do an auto brake hold? This is when you are at the stop light and want to let off the break but it's still holding your brake for you until you touch the gas pedal. I see it not only as a comfort/convenience feature but also a economy consideration (would improve engine stop/start performance) and most importantly a safety feature. I have already almost messed up in stopping close in traffic and then letting off the break, remembering my BMW always has me held. This behavior already works when ACC is active so I am sure it just a little extra work on the RAM engineers. Just a thought.

I've always loved that feature on other vehicles. I'm not sure if we (as consumers) have the ability to add that feature in. It probably wouldn't be hard to do if the feature came as an option on the limited rams, but since it doesn't (that i know of), it would probably take some magic with the BCM i couldn't even attempt to start. Hopefully ram adds it to later years

Ramroader

Reaction score
Any progress on your ACC project I am still thinking I have all the right equipment. I have the buttons on the steering wheel and there are 2 cameras pointing out from my windshield well 3 now with the dash cam I put in and the brakes will come on automatically if I get to close to something so I think I should be able to turn it on with AlphaOBD

tdb0021

Reaction score
Any progress on your ACC project I am still thinking I have all the right equipment. I have the buttons on the steering wheel and there are 2 cameras pointing out from my windshield well 3 now with the dash cam I put in and the brakes will come on automatically if I get to close to something so I think I should be able to turn it on with AlphaOBD

I'm still trying to find a good time to take my truck to the dealer to take the radar out of plant mode. As far as i can tell everything is how it should be and a quick calibration will enable the feature. Unfortunately most of the dealers here are swamped with work because of their techs being out with covid.

What year is your truck? I find it unlikely that you would have all the hardware installed from the factory but not have it functional. Easiest way to tell is to see if the camera behind you rear view mirror is in fact the correct one. It looks like the one marked 3 in this diagram https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-forward-facing-camera-68320948am?c=az0x

Last edited:

Ramroader

Reaction score
It is a 2020 I assume that camera you showed me is in that big chunk of plastic in front of the mirror and not in the mirror itself. Does the cover just pop off ? I pried on it a little but didn't want to break it

tdb0021

Reaction score
Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG
Here is what the rear view mirror setup should look like if you have the DASM (ignore the actual mirror itself). That plastic piece is rather large and it will pop off easily. If you have that type trim piece, you have the DASM. You can also look from the outside of the truck at this same area and see the clear window that the camera looks through. It looks like /\

Ramroader

Reaction score
My massive plastic mirror piece doesn't look exactly like that so maybe I don't have the right DASM unless they changed it for 2020 I am going to see if I can find a 2020 at the dealership with the right one here is a picture of mine sorry for the poor quality had to use the flash in a dark shop to avoid reflections

Attachments

• Dqy0w%VFSMSfjm%j15PtCg.jpg
    Dqy0w%VFSMSfjm%j15PtCg.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 125

tdb0021

Reaction score
My massive plastic mirror piece doesn't look exactly like that so maybe I don't have the right DASM unless they changed it for 2020 I am going to see if I can find a 2020 at the dealership with the right one here is a picture of mine sorry for the poor quality had to use the flash in a dark shop to avoid reflections

So what you are looking at is the eye for the humidity/rain sensor. That is not the DASM. That being said your truck is likely missing the other hardware too (abs module and HCU). I suppose the factory just messed up and put the wrong steering wheel buttons on.

Ramroader

Reaction score
I checked at a dealer who had a 2020 with ACC actually installed and the big plastic piece looks just like your picture so I guess they didn't change it and I am out of luck there would still like to make it work the parts guy said I would need a whole new computer and the wires wouldn't be there for the right DASM, do you think he is right?

tdb0021

Reaction score
The things you would need to add is the DASM, which requires a new windshield. The wiring of the DASM is easy and takes at most an hour. Outside of the DASM you need a new ABS module and Hydraulic control unit. The ABS module you have now cannot be configured for ACC. Replacing the HCU means draining and re-bleeding your brakes after the new one is installed.

The process to add it to your truck is not overly complicated... just a bit tedious and expensive. Here's a rough estimate of what it costs (not including labor for a shop to do the brake work):

Windshield - $400 (non-mopar)
DASM - $1,100
HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130
Switch - $50
Dealer visit to calibrate after everything is installed $200-$500
Alpha OBD and Hardware $100

St-na

Reaction score
I have the same box behind the mirror, truck equipped with Automatic High–Beam Headlamp and Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus. Hopefully I can shorten the list of required parts. Anybody here succeeded with installation and programming ACC?

tdb0021

Reaction score
After approximately 6-8 months, I have successfully installed and activated Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Sense, Forward Collision Warning, and Auto High Beams to my 2019 Lonestar. I got my truck back from the dealer this afternoon. They did a calibration procedure on my cruise control module which FINALLY allowed everything to activate. Persistence on this project was certainly the key to success.

I will briefly recap what's required to do this and approximate cost for those that will ask:

You have to replace the following:
Windshield - $400 (An OEM mopar one will cost more than double this)
DASM - $1,100 (this part has to be new, never installed on a vehicle)
Center Stack 12" or 8.4" (one with a lane sense button. As far as i know you cannot simply add the button. There also does not appear to be a softkey you could enable with alphaobd)
HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130
Steering Wheel Switch - $50
Dealer visit to calibrate after everything is installed - $100-$500 (depends on how your dealer handles this. For me it was a half hour labor charge)
Alpha OBD and Hardware - $100 (PC version recommended)

I am considering making a write-up for the procedure with all part numbers. There is inevitably stuff I do not remember when it comes to everything I enabled with alpha obd, but if several people are interested in one i will write one.

Big thanks to @Jimmy07 , his help certainly made this idea a reality

HookedonRam

Reaction score
After approximately 6-8 months, I have successfully installed and activated Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Sense, Forward Collision Warning, and Auto High Beams to my 2019 Lonestar. I got my truck back from the dealer this afternoon. They did a calibration procedure on my cruise control module which FINALLY allowed everything to activate. Persistence on this project was certainly the key to success.

I will briefly recap what's required to do this and approximate cost for those that will ask:

Center Stack 12" or 8.4" (one with a lane sense button. As far as i know you cannot simply add the button. There also does not appear to be a softkey you could enable with alphaobd)
HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130
Dealer visit to calibrate after everything is installed - $100-$500 (depends on how your dealer handles this. For me it was a half hour labor charge)

I am considering making a write-up for the procedure with all part numbers. There is inevitably stuff I do not remember when it comes to everything I enabled with alpha obd, but if several people are interested in one i will write one.

That is great news! If you can do a write up that would be great!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130

That's really awesome. I'm ready to do it so I'm interested in the write-up.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

HCU - $200
ABS Module - $130

Put me down for another vote to do the write-up.

Great job on persisting and getting it done. That's quite an achievement. A doff o'the cap. ;)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Put me down for another vote to do the write-up.

Great job on persisting and getting it done. That's quite an achievement. A doff o'the cap. ;)
Ditto. I have all this equipment in my truck from the factory, but I'd still like to see a write up of the process. Call me a nerd. ;)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated on your project. It's people like you who make this forum great!

I'd love to add this to my Laramie, but the cost of it (both time and actual money) isn't really worth it for me. I have way too many other projects that are higher priority. I'd enjoy reading your write-up if you make one, and who knows, it may motivate me to do this some day.

Users who are viewing this thread