5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add USB ports to backseat BigHorn

rtb

Reaction score
How did you wire under the console?
I try to wire with a hard wire but cannot go through.....

BTW, I did not find the fuse panel either.

I accessed the console from the back seat in (where the USB ports will be mounted). I then used fiberglass wire pulling rods to get the wires through. I pushed the rods under the console from the front driver seat area and snaked them back to the exposed hole , tied of the wires, and then pulled them back through. That part was actually pretty easy.

TxGeorge

Reaction score
I accessed the console from the back seat in (where the USB ports will be mounted). I then used fiberglass wire pulling rods to get the wires through. I pushed the rods under the console from the front driver seat area and snaked them back to the exposed hole , tied of the wires, and then pulled them back through. That part was actually pretty easy.

Good to know. Have to find my wire snake to finish this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxGeorge

Reaction score
Ok, today I finish the job, I took off the whole console and wire in lime to the front.

Cannot find the fuse box either. Also I add a cigarette lighter in front for my radar detector.

Carlmyman

Reaction score
How to remove rear of center console for adding USB Port​

1. Pictures 1 & 2 Starting at the top, remove the trim/edge piece with a trim removal tool. Begin at one end and work your way around there are 5 clips holding it (Pict.#2 ) Center Console  (1).jpg Center Console  (2).jpg

2. Picture 3 & 4 Lift out the rubber cup holder insert. There are 2 screws (Pict.#3), 1 on each side (I believe 7mm but you can use a phillips head) remove them. Now using either your fingers or a trim tool (Pict.#4) start at the bottom and pull out gently from the carpet up to pop the clips (7). When they are done the whole rear of the console will lift up away. Center Console  (3).jpg Center Console  (4).jpg

3. Pictures 5 & 6 There are 4 screws (Dark Blue in Pict.#5) that hold the center storage area in place. Remove them and you have the mounting area for your USB or whatever. The light blue screws (Pict.#5) remove the center area, there are also 2 clips (yep, I knocked mine off, overkill) if you wish to but don’t have to remove. Center Console  (5).jpg Center Console  (6).jpg

I hope this helps you in your project.

Last edited:

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
The OEM wiring harness finally arrived.. now got to find time to remove center console and swap out harnesses ... more to follow

Were you able to make it work?

Carlmyman

Reaction score
Were you able to make it work?

Haven't done the wiring yet. Going to run a fuse tap into the box under the steering column (F66). Little too cold for my bones. Will update when completed. Here is the wiring / connectors I plan on using. The plug is for taking the back of the console apart if necessary. The Wago connectors, not sure which style I will use, will have a hot & ground and leave me some room to hook up interior LED lights and any other misc. items in the future.

Attachments

• USB Wiring.jpg
    USB Wiring.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Carlmyman

Reaction score
Hey, I just finished up wiring up my rear USB ports. The unit I used was from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKK9HZT/ref=twister_B07JCSJ2R2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ), chose this one because it had dual 3 amp ports for quick charging, was made out of aluminum instead of plastic, and had a volt meter to keep an eye on things. I originally ran both a hot & ground to the front but noticed the metal bracket at the back of the console was grounded ( I removed ground wire I originally had run to the front). I ran a self tapping screw with a ring terminal into the right side base to a wago connector. The hot wire from the front (under dash fuse panel #66 I used a micro2 fuse tap (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PBXGK...oding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title), I used the wago connectors (attached to floor with 3M double sided tape) as I previously stated in another post so that in the future I can connect LED lights and whatever else I can think of by just tapping into the wago connectors. I had also used a waterproof automotive connector, 2 pin (Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-GA00...&pf_rd_p=f77e5508-92f4-5ac6-8d8a-9b4efd8d7af7) so I can disconnect the console back to work more magic. Works like it should, sorry about the crappy shot with the volt meter blurry. Whats good about this set up is 1. I can remove the console rear cap by unplugging it, 2. I can use the hot and ground connections by tapping into the wago connectors for future add ons, 3. Volt meter is a good fall back if you need a quick check up on things.
20200212_171510~2.jpg 20200212_171952.jpg 20200212_171958.jpg 20200212_172530.jpg 20200212_172654.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisW74

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I was able to complete my install this weekend. Thanks to everyone who put in info and pics.

Attachments

• USB.jpg
    USB.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 179

jj_kennedy

Reaction score
All the steps were super easy to follow. All I would add is i ended up needing a mini fuse tap not a micro. All in all it was a $30. project.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPEG
    IMG_1971.JPEG
    164.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

jj_kennedy

Reaction score
Clean!!! Parts list pls... lol

Im not sure if it is a mini or micro fuse tap. I would recommend if you dont know either, taking f66 fuse to autozone and they will help you find the right add a circuit.

USB and Power

Wire

Same thing though plugged into f66 fuse ran power along side of bottom center console and hid wire, soldered the ground to the chassis there is a bar that runs on the floor behind the end cap before I soldered I tested to make sure everything worked. A previous post in this thread shows the place I grounded I am referring to.

texaswookie

Reaction score
How to remove rear of center console for adding USB Port​

1. Pictures 1 & 2 Starting at the top, remove the trim/edge piece with a trim removal tool. Begin at one end and work your way around there are 5 clips holding it (Pict.#2 ) View attachment 46027 View attachment 46028

2. Picture 3 & 4 Lift out the rubber cup holder insert. There are 2 screws (Pict.#3), 1 on each side (I believe 7mm but you can use a phillips head) remove them. Now using either your fingers or a trim tool (Pict.#4) start at the bottom and pull out gently from the carpet up to pop the clips (6). When they are done the whole rear of the console will lift up away. View attachment 46029 View attachment 46030

3. Pictures 5 & 6 There are 4 screws (Dark Blue in Pict.#5) that hold the center storage area in place. Remove them and you have the mounting area for your USB or whatever. The light blue screws (Pict.#5) remove the center area, there are also 2 clips (yep, I knocked mine off, overkill) if you wish to but don’t have to remove. View attachment 46031 View attachment 46032

I hope this helps you in your project.
Just wanted to say thank you! Your info, and others too, allowed me to do this job fairly easily in one afternoon. Added 2 x double USB ports to the rear cubby. Awesome! Thank you again!
Wookie

Nats FJ40

Reaction score
Question for those that have been inside/under the center seat doing this project, I see a connector, gray with what looks like a mini/micro usb (male) end sticking out from under there. And idea what this is for? I noticed it while looking at the jack location

Gabejv85

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking into doing this soon. Can anybody answer if the power turns off with the truck or is it always on?

Dave L

Reaction score
When I looked into doing this I found I may have a depth issue. The depth of the usb may hit the inside of center console behind this piece you are attaching it too. It doesn't seem like it will fit. I may be wrong so just looking for some insight thanks

HookedonRam

Reaction score
I have the factory usb ports in the back I just want to add the factory inverter with power outlet. Is it as easy as just plug and play or do I have to do anything else to it?

klemo

Reaction score

Just wanted to post my thread about installing the OEM USBs. I got the USBs to work, but couldn't figure out how to get the outlet to work.

THFD334

Reaction score
So I couldn't get an answer from two different dealerships and no feedback from the forum if anyone has done it or not done it. I ordered the part today (Plug-Media Hub -Mopar (68330429AD)) and I will see how it works when it comes in. Dealerships wanted $169 plus tax and takes 5 days, ordering from moparonlineparts.com for $117.86 plus shipping.

So did you have the wiring already there to plug in the media hub or did you have to buy a wiring harness as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/