5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add USB ports to backseat BigHorn

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Here's what I purchased USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket
I've been out of town and am about to actually hook up the wiring and go live. I'll tell you right out of the box the included cable is VERY thin and is also not long enough to reach the interior fuse box, so I purchased some 14awg from Lowes, and am going to run it to a Micro2 Fuse Tap that I purchased, fuse 65 if i remember correctly. What I'm hearing is that the negative wire just needs to be attached to the chassis rather than the fuse box.
I'll post results once I'm done. :)
And lots of pics I hope..

prairiedoggn

Reaction score
Success!
I attached a Micro2 Fuse Tap in the F66 spot as pictured, and ran the 14awg wire along the underside of my center console, where I then spliced it and attached to my USB ports.

I also spliced the negative wire. You’ll need to attach it to the chassis, and I found it easiest to use the flat bar at the base of the center console. There’s a small notch in particular that is very easy to loop the wire around and then a spot of solder to secure it if desired. I tried attaching the negative wire beneath screws under the end cap but they didn’t close the circuit.

Works great, and I’m happy answer any questions you’ve got.

Attachments

• 5A283716-B186-4803-B3CB-026139B5F701.jpeg
    5A283716-B186-4803-B3CB-026139B5F701.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 461
  • 5901549A-A3A9-448B-8E76-9649B30134C1.jpeg
    5901549A-A3A9-448B-8E76-9649B30134C1.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 464
  • AC1F2F5C-3819-4D0E-AA1D-BBF7043D0FB2.jpeg
    AC1F2F5C-3819-4D0E-AA1D-BBF7043D0FB2.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 459

prairiedoggn

Reaction score
Success!
I attached a Micro2 Fuse Tap in the F66 spot as pictured, and ran the 14awg wire along the underside of my center console, where I then spliced it and attached to my USB ports.

I also spliced the negative wire. You’ll need to attach it to the chassis, and I found it easiest to use the flat bar at the base of the center console. There’s a small notch in particular that is very easy to loop the wire around and then a spot of solder to secure it if desired. I tried attaching the negative wire beneath screws under the end cap but they didn’t close the circuit.

Some observations...
The newly installed rear USB ports will charge my iPad, whereas the factory front USB ports do not, and may not push enough power. So a definite advantage to having these new ones.

Second though, maybe nitpicking and really just exclusive to the USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket that I bought. If you look closely you'll see that the one port accepts your USB cable right-side up, but the other is upside-down. In other words if you want to disconnect from one and move to the other, you'll need to turn the USB cable over. Sort of an odd design decision but not the end of the world. I'm more happy that the matte black on the charger housing is pretty much an identical match to my Rebel end cap.

Last edited:

Kleebs22

Reaction score
Those look right to me but I abandoned this project once I started doing the math. The end cap alone at around $300 was too crazy.

I ended up buying 2 quick charge automotive USB ports and installed into my existing end cap using a forstner drill bit. Picture attached. Ironically, I’m wiring them tonight and have come to the realization that my internal power distribution center didn’t come with a lid, so I literally have no map of what each fuse is for. Owners manual essentially says to look at the lid. Just my luck lol. Can anyone please post a picture of their internal pdc lid?
What size drill bit did you use?

Kleebs22

Reaction score
Is there a specific bit/size to use? Sorry if I missed your response earlier.

FM45

Reaction score
The OEM wiring harness finally arrived.. now got to find time to remove center console and swap out harnesses ... more to follow

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_145546.jpg
    IMG_20190723_145546.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 246

Rstewkids

Reaction score
Looks great. that is where I am heading... any more pictures details?
BATIGE Dual Ports Square USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable with Buckle for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LXX3MD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YCYpDbF9R3FHH
Some observations...
The newly installed rear USB ports will charge my iPad, whereas the factory front USB ports do not, and may not push enough power. So a definite advantage to having these new ones.

Second though, maybe nitpicking and really just exclusive to the USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket that I bought. If you look closely you'll see that the one port accepts your USB cable right-side up, but the other is upside-down. In other words if you want to disconnect from one and move to the other, you'll need to turn the USB cable over. Sort of an odd design decision but not the end of the world. I'm more happy that the matte black on the charger housing is pretty much an identical match to my Rebel end cap.
im going to try this and have available to plug to front usb for rear passenger to have radio interface, how much gap between rear of cubby and inside BATIGE Dual Ports Square USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable with Buckle for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LXX3MD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YCYpDbF9R3FHH

snj1013

Reaction score
So I've completed my first mod on my week old Lone Star 1500.

Attachments

• 20190815_203249.jpg
    20190815_203249.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 333

snj1013

Reaction score
I removed the cap from mine before installation as I think the install looks more OEM without it

TxGeorge

Reaction score
Suggest go prairiedoggn way, it's QC which support quick charge.
Your link is just a usb 3.0

BATIGE Dual Ports Square USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable with Buckle for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LXX3MD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YCYpDbF9R3FHH

im going to try this and have available to plug to front usb for rear passenger to have radio interface, how much gap between rear of cubby and inside BATIGE Dual Ports Square USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable with Buckle for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LXX3MD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YCYpDbF9R3FHH

TxGeorge

Reaction score
Success!

Where did you get through the firewall?

rtb

Reaction score
I have this project mostly complete and followed prairredoggn's method. I have the USB ports mounted and wires run under the console to under the steering wheel, however, I cannot locate the fuse box under the console that is in the picture. Can anyone provide additional details or pictures?

TxGeorge

Reaction score
I have this project mostly complete and followed prairredoggn's method. I have the USB ports mounted and wires run under the console to under the steering wheel, however, I cannot locate the fuse box under the console that is in the picture. Can anyone provide additional details or pictures?
How did you wire under the console?
I try to wire with a hard wire but cannot go through.....

BTW, I did not find the fuse panel either.

Users who are viewing this thread