5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add Me to the List: Water Leaking

KSOTI

Reaction score
Good luck. Please let us know what your service department discovers. I am supposed to get the second new window this week. Loosing confidence......

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Good luck. Please let us know what your service department discovers. I am supposed to get the second new window this week. Loosing confidence......
Thanks. Honestly, it's not nearly as bad as some of y'all are having. It takes quite a bit of water for even that tiny drop to get in there, and it dries really quickly. I'm worried they'll make more problems by fixing this one.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
So do they have a certain known group of trucks that leak? Did trucks that sat on the lot get fixed/checked by dealers?
Only GM/Chev do stop delivery repairs. FCA is oldschool, wait and see if the owner catches a problem then deal with it at that time.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Its a buyer beware scenario. In fact i let my dealership know that one of the loaner trucks i drove had displaced pano roof drain grommets. They were unphased and to date that has still gone unaddressed. Thats why this forum is such a valuable tool! Knowledge is power.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
well i sealed my gps antenna and installed a new 3rd brake light. used 100% silicone on both. tinted the 3rd brake light and installed led bulbs while i was at it. while i had the 3rd brake light out i ran a bead of silicone across the top of the middle of the window under the 3rd brake light. i waited a day and went tru the car wash. so far so good. time will tell i guess. 20190825_145030.jpg

Last edited:

KSOTI

Reaction score
My replacement window was supposed to be here today. Service manager called and said now it would not be here till the end of September. That ain't gonna work! ......To sum things up i have lost the use of my vehicle 15 day, I've got new dents and scratches, someone left my truck idle in excess of 10 hours and my rear window still leaks.......Lets see if you really do care, Ram Cares.......

KSOTI

Reaction score
We will likely see a foot or more of rain here in eastern nc with this hurricane. No new window yet. Thanks FCA!

technicholas

Reaction score
We will likely see a foot or more of rain here in eastern nc with this hurricane. No new window yet. Thanks FCA!
I don't understand why you have to order a new window they are taking my windshield off and putting it back on tomorrow.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't understand why you have to order a new window they are taking my windshield off and putting it back on tomorrow.
The same windshield? Have they done this before? I was told they can’t take off and reinstall the same windshield.

RodRow

Reaction score
well it rained all day yesterday with some heavy downpours. no water at all. looks like my leak has been solved.
So, I saw that you sealed the gps antenna and the 3rd brake light only, and that resolved the leak at the rear window? Mine leaks a tiny bit, but more than I am ok with. I’d like to know if you caulked it, or just replaced the seals please.

Thanks!

KSOTI

Reaction score
So, I saw that you sealed the gps antenna and the 3rd brake light only, and that resolved the leak at the rear window? Mine leaks a tiny bit, but more than I am ok with. I’d like to know if you caulked it, or just replaced the seals please.

Thanks!
[/QUOT

Which one is leaking?

Hackmunch

Reaction score

Thanks!
well i was having water coming down the inside of the window when it rained. i noticed a few stains on my headliner. after watching a video on how the rear window was installed i had a hard time believing it was the window. so before i jumped the gun having the dealer replace the window and trash my new truck i took it upon myself to figuire this problem out. i pulled the 3rd brakelight out to look at the seal and check on the gps antenna. gps antenna is right above the 3rd brake light. everything looked good from the inside with the antenna. so i took some clear 100% silicone and put a small bead around the outside of the gps antenna. at this point i just put the 3rd brake light back in to see if the water would go away. 2 days later it rained and back came the water inside. so that ruled out the gps antenna. i ordered a new 3rd brake light because i wanted to tint it and throw in led lights. 3rd brake light came in so i tinted it and went to put it in. i pulled out the old one which had no sign of leaking. when i pulled out the old 3rd brake light you can see the top of the middle of the rear window. everything looked fine with the window seal against the rear of the truck. i installed the new 3rd brake light with a bead of 100% silcone and tightened it from the middle out to ensure a good seal. so after about 3 car washes and a few days of very heavy rain my leak is gone with no water issues. the only thing i should have done when i had the 3rd brake light out is put a small bead of silicone along the top of the middle of the window just for good sake if the window was leaking but obviously it was not the window. hope this helps.

GerryS

Reaction score
OP here. I am glad to report that our dealer got us out the door before our trip. I checked after a car wash to clean the Colorado dust off and it seems my leak is fixed. I will update if the floor gets wet again. Love this forum! Got some pics of the Colorado trip in the Off road part of the forum.

Gerry

KSOTI

Reaction score
looks the same as mine. You can isolate the antenna and third brake light with tape and systematically test with a water hose to determine which one is leaking. When I do that water comes in whenever the hose is concentrated on top DS corner of the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/