5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add another windshield crack

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please explain your theory on the connection between cracked windshield and the pano roof.
There is way more chance of flex in the "A" pillar of a Pano truck. And since this is the first generation of this system, good chance the engineers may have missed a pinch point on the windshield. It's extremely speculative, but common sense keeps kicking me in the nuts saying "it can't be just coincidence" so many Pano trucks have cracked windshields in the same place after a few thousand miles.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is way more chance of flex in the "A" pillar of a Pano truck. And since this is the first generation of this system, good chance the engineers may have missed a pinch point on the windshield. It's extremely speculative, but common sense keeps kicking me in the nuts saying "it can't be just coincidence" so many Pano trucks have cracked windshields in the same place after a few thousand miles.
If anything which I doubt, the roof of a panoramic sunroof equipped truck is going to be stiffer than without. The additional structure and glass are much more rigid than the floppy metal roof.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anything which I doubt, the roof of a panoramic sunroof equipped truck is going to be stiffer than without. The additional structure and glass are much more rigid than the floppy metal roof.
Sorry, didn't specify the speculation is around the additional weight caused by the glass and hardware... way more than the "floppy metal roof".

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't specify the speculation is around the additional weight caused by the glass and hardware... way more than the "floppy metal roof".
So I thought about it and I don’t agree with your theory because of the sequence of construction. We know the headliner is installed through the windshield so the windshield would be out. It makes sense that the pano glass would be installed before the headliner, so the windshield would be installed after any stress is placed on the body by the pano. The windshield is then place on the body in a bed of adhesive. Cannot conceive of how any stress would be placed on the glass in this scenario. What do you think?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I thought about it and I don’t agree with your theory because of the sequence of construction. We know the headliner is installed through the windshield so the windshield would be out. It makes sense that the pano glass would be installed before the headliner, so the windshield would be installed after any stress is placed on the body by the pano. The windshield is then place on the body in a bed of adhesive. Cannot conceive of how any stress would be placed on the glass in this scenario. What do you think?
I think a few members with cracked windshields have driven over potholes or high bumps, causing some flex/movement in the chassis and up into the body. Again, just speculation of course, but you have to admit there is more than coincidence at work here. With the added weight and stiffness of the Pano roof in that scenario, pop goes the windshield.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a few members with cracked windshields have driven over potholes or high bumps, causing some flex/movement in the chassis and up into the body. Again, just speculation of course, but you have to admit there is more than coincidence at work here. With the added weight and stiffness of the Pano roof in that scenario, pop goes the windshield.
Nope , don’t agree at all that is the root cause. The sample size is too small to make that leap.

Levi Morgan

Reaction score
I haven’t had issues either but given the members who have I think everyone should price out having their deductibles for either glass/comprehensive (depending on your state) reduced to zero. For me it amounted to $24/yr diff to go from $500 to $0 deductible and that included 2 vehicles, so likeMy 2019 Laramie only has 2300 miles on it. Last night on smooth highway I here a pop. Next morning I have a big curved crack. No impact chip.
Please explain your theory on the connection between cracked windshield and the pano roof.

My 2019 Laramie only has 2300 miles on it. Last night on smooth highway I here a pop. Next morning I have a big curved crack. No impact chip.This isn't just coincidence, I'm convinced.
[/QUOTE]

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie only has 2300 miles on it. Last night on smooth highway I here a pop. Next morning I have a big curved crack. No impact chip.This isn't just coincidence, I'm convinced.
[/QUOTE]
Not saying there is not a common cause! Just disagreeing that there is enough evidence to say the pano roof is the cause. My earlier posts states why. Just my opinion.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The roof in vehicles equipped with a pano roof are also reinforced to provide additional support for the weight of the glass. I agree that something is going on with a few of you but not sold on the fact that the pano is causing the issue.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The roof in vehicles equipped with a pano roof are also reinforced to provide additional support for the weight of the glass. I agree that something is going on with a few of you but not sold on the fact that the pano is causing the issue.
I can't believe that the one similarity between all the trims popping windshields, being the Pano roof, isn't the issue. I might not have the forensic engineering evidence to back it up, but all things being equal it's the most likely culprit... maybe its too stiff?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't believe that the one similarity between all the trims popping windshields, being the Pano roof, isn't the issue. I might not have the forensic engineering evidence to back it up, but all things being equal it's the most likely culprit... maybe its too stiff?
Nope the most common element in the scenario, is the windshield itself. If I was going to, but not really, speculate, I would go for defective glass.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope the most common element in the scenario, is the windshield itself. If I was going to, but not really, speculate, I would go for defective glass.
Defective glass cracking in almost the same place on multiple trucks? That says pinch point, not glass defect. BUT, who can say.

Jplumley

Reaction score
Some thing here. Woke up in the morning with a crack from the bottom lower driver side running halfway up. There was a very small impact point. The dealer was nice enough to cover it for me considering all of the other issues. However, I argued a good deal. There is absolutely no way a windshield should crack like that with a barely detectable impact. I’ve driven for years with deep impacts in previous vehicles with no cracks. It just seemed peculiar with all of the other issues.

I also have the full pano.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Pretty sure the folks complaining about an “issue” have a crack at the top of their windshield on the passenger side.

There was a thread on here about excess wind noise that the dealer tried to resolve and never could. Then the user had a crack and replaced the windshield with a new RAM one and the wind noise stopped. So here’s an alternate theory, improper windshield installation / bad seals/defective glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramiepete

Reaction score
Cracked windshield here! Started right in the middle at the very top of the windshield. No impact mark visible. At first I didn't notice it because it was all contained in the black portion of the window around the rearview mirror. It has now spread half way across the upper passenger side. I will see what I can do with the dealer when I take it in for the recalls. I also have the pano roof.

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
Cracked windshield here! Started right in the middle at the very top of the windshield. No impact mark visible. At first I didn't notice it because it was all contained in the black portion of the window around the rearview mirror. It has now spread half way across the upper passenger side. I will see what I can do with the dealer when I take it in for the recalls. I also have the pano roof.
same here

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
fixed by insurance within 15 hours , dealership promised 2 weeks time for original glass .

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.34.40.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.34.40.png
    821.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.34.28.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.34.28.png
    839.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.34.54.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.34.54.png
    632.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.35.06.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.35.06.png
    899.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.35.17.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.35.17.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.35.27.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.35.27.png
    656 KB · Views: 29
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.36.51.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.36.51.png
    567.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.37.05.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.37.05.png
    610.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.37.22.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-06-23 в 13.37.22.png
    633.1 KB · Views: 30

djjr50

Reaction score
Ugh...I am afraid. Bought it CPO and I hope that it has already happened (if the pano sunrooofs is indicator).

Question, does a Carfax record a windshield change if it was changed under insurance?

2nd question, can you distinguish between the original windshield and a replacement if an authorized part was used (I know some places use non-OEM parts)?

Users who are viewing this thread