5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add another windshield crack

GoRamGo

Reaction score
I live in San Diego and to get to my job is all high way I am on my 5th crack and third windshield I got tired of filing glass claims so I have left the newest one for now. Never had a crack or something hit my windshield until I bought this truck lol

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
I live in San Diego and to get to my job is all high way I am on my 5th crack and third windshield I got tired of filing glass claims so I have left the newest one for now. Never had a crack or something hit my windshield until I bought this truck lol
If its happen with me again , i'am goona go with aftermarket window , probably its gonna be much stronger than original one

GoRamGo

Reaction score
If its happen with me again , i'am goona go with aftermarket window , probably its gonna be much stronger than original one
Yea i have never even had a crack in my windshield before owning this truck its rock prone it seems lol

mr.fusion

Reaction score
Ok, this thread caught my attention. I make my living repairing windshields for the past 28 years. I do rock chip repair.... thousands of repairs every year. I don't do replacements. So I find this thread and the potential "issue" interesting to say the least. I have a couple questions and thoughts to add here.
i found a two inch crack by the passenger pillar exactly where you other members have shown in pictures
Pretty sure the folks complaining about an “issue” have a crack at the top of their windshield on the passenger side.
Is there actually a pattern where a lot of these trucks have cracked from the same point along the edge of the windshield?

I don't want to be quick to dismiss an issue because this thread is all I've read about it. But here are the comments in THIS thread.... and it seems very random and "normal" to me. One from the top, one from the bottom, one from each side....
descriptions of cracked windshields:
1- next thing I know there is a spider web right around the ram head emblem on the passenger side.
2- crack starting from the driver's side around the handle area that extended towards the middle of the windshield
3- crack from the bottom lower driver side running halfway up.
4- Cracked windshield here! Started right in the middle at the very top of the windshield.
And this one with a crack seems to me to be very normal....not from a defect or pinch point or install issue. IF there was even a tiny visible impact point on the surface, then it was hit... and there was likely a small sub-surface break. Some of these are less than 1/2" long and are not easy to see in the blacked-out part of the glass.
found what they called the "impact point".
The one thing that does jump out to me... is that some report having to replace the windshield 3 or 4 or 5 times. There aren't really that many pano roof ram trucks out there, so if multiple people are having this happen... it does make me wonder what's going on.

Note.... in my experience....
It is VERY common to have a windshield crack from a chip that the owner did not know was there. Also, it's very common to have this happen in the morning, especially in cold weather. Especially along the bottom of the w/s..... the heat/cold "shock" puts a stress on the glass and will cause a small chip to crack. Same thing with chassis flex from hitting pot hole or dip, etc. Especially when the impact is at the edge of the glass.... anywhere along the edge. It's happened to me. One day I cleared snow off my work van first thing in the morning and found a crack halfway up the windshield from under the wipers. I had no idea there was a chip or I would have fixed it. The chip was hiding right under one of the wipers. Go figure....

Users who are viewing this thread