5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add another windshield crack

dalailama23

Reaction score
I was reading the forums about the owners who have had windshield cracks and sure enough going down my driveway i heard a load pop. After looking around for the source i found a two inch crack by the passenger pillar exactly where you other members have shown in pictures. It has now grown to curve covering almost eight inches long. nothing hit it , i was in my driveway, have any of you members got it fixed under warranty and were there any problems . It looks complicated because there is a camera and sensors in the center. This must be a problem if everybody gets the crack in the same place. wonder what RAM care thinks about this. So far almost every problem that other members have mentioned has gotten around to me, July build.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That blows. Nothing hit it? Maybe something hit it previously and a temp change caused it to spider? I’m guessing that’s what FCA will claim anyway to deny a warranty claim and force you thru insurance. I’d be shocked if they stepped up and admitted a windshield defect and recalled the glass. That would cost them a lot of $$$ and would be hard to control defect vs accidental strike IMO.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was exactly what happened to me. They refused to cover it under warranty because their little tool found what they called the "impact point". Which bugged me since you couldn't see it with the naked eye. Any more of these stories and I will present them to my dealer to have my insurance deductible refunded.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I was reading the forums about the owners who have had windshield cracks and sure enough going down my driveway i heard a load pop. After looking around for the source i found a two inch crack by the passenger pillar exactly where you other members have shown in pictures. It has now grown to curve covering almost eight inches long. nothing hit it , i was in my driveway, have any of you members got it fixed under warranty and were there any problems . It looks complicated because there is a camera and sensors in the center. This must be a problem if everybody gets the crack in the same place. wonder what RAM care thinks about this. So far almost every problem that other members have mentioned has gotten around to me, July build.
i wonder if this is an issue with flexing seems like we all have the dual pano roof

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i wonder if this is an issue with flexing seems like we all have the dual pano roof
That's exactly what I said to the service manager... he wasn't buying what I was selling. But with the amount of cracks in the same place... I dare someone from FCA to tell us it's random luck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have zero deductible glass coverage...you should check with your insurance company to see what your options are. It cost me like $10 a year.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just had mine replaced and Safelite did an amazing job. They are trained and qualified to do any calibration for advanced safety systems so no second trip to the dealer.

Craigg69

Reaction score
I just had mine replaced and Safelite did an amazing job. They are trained and qualified to do any calibration for advanced safety systems so no second trip to the dealer.
How long did it take them to find a windshield? Rock hit mine and they just told me the quickest place they found was an hour away and they said end of May before they can get it.The wind shield place said they are on back order..This sucks.. Been waiting for 5 weeks for gaskets for passenger window and rear driver side gauskets for air and water leaking. Dealer said they are having a hard time getting them.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How long did it take them to find a windshield? Rock hit mine and they just told me the quickest place they found was an hour away and they said end of May before they can get it.The wind shield place said they are on back order..This sucks.. Been waiting for 5 weeks for gaskets for passenger window and rear driver side gauskets for air and water leaking. Dealer said they are having a hard time getting them.

When I called Safelite on Friday they said dealer had in stock and it was scheduled for Monday.

TruckRamRod

Reaction score
I too had the same defect in my windshield. I was driving and no rock hit it but I heard a crack and next thing I know there is a spider web right around the ram head emblem on the passenger side. From there it continued to crack until it reached the centre of the windshield. I had it replaced, $500 deductible. I also have the pano-sunroof.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too had the same defect in my windshield. I was driving and no rock hit it but I heard a crack and next thing I know there is a spider web right around the ram head emblem on the passenger side. From there it continued to crack until it reached the centre of the windshield. I had it replaced, $500 deductible. I also have the pano-sunroof.
Where did it start? Near the grab handle on the passenger side?

Rhhays

Reaction score
I have had the same experience with multiple cracked windshields. In total, I have had four windshields put in my Ram since October 2018 when I purchased the vehicle. Two weeks ago, I parked my Ram in my parking garage in the morning and when I got back in it in the afternoon, I had a crack starting from the driver's side around the handle area that extended towards the middle of the windshield. Currently, I have been waiting two weeks for the new windshield to arrive at Safelite from the dealership. I took it by the Ram dealership to look at and they said it was caused from a rock. So, with the next windshield it will be a total of five windshields in eight months.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This isn't just coincidence, I'm convinced. There is a direct connection to cracked windshields and the Pano roof. Too bad we all got hit with our deductible and had to use insurance... I'm sure there is some BS loophole Ram/FCA is using to avoid a recall.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This isn't just coincidence, I'm convinced. There is a direct connection to cracked windshields and the Pano roof. Too bad we all got hit with our deductible and had to use insurance... I'm sure there is some BS loophole Ram/FCA is using to avoid a recall.

In have a pano roof and have yet to experience any issues with my windshield. 4 months of ownership and just turned 3K miles.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t had issues either but given the members who have I think everyone should price out having their deductibles for either glass/comprehensive (depending on your state) reduced to zero. For me it amounted to $24/yr diff to go from $500 to $0 deductible and that included 2 vehicles, so like $1 month.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please explain your theory on the connection between cracked windshield and the pano roof.

Users who are viewing this thread