5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active noise cancelling

MartyZ

Reaction score
Per the owner's manual:
F12 – 25 Amp Clear - Mod Audio Amplifier / Active Noise
Cancellation / SW Inverter

So you'd also lose audio if your truck has an Audio Amplifier. Also, I assume the Inverter is the 110v in the console.

Im going to try this when i leave work and see if it works. I have the tradesman so i dont have the amp for the audio or an inverter. If this is true it should just kill the ANC. Ill post up the results when i get home.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Pulling the fuse for the ANC killed all speaker outputs from the stereo. Stereo turned on but no sound at all. So even the base level tradesmans must run some sort of amplifier or power source to enable the speakers. Unfortunately pulling the fuse doesnt isolate the ANC. I had to put the fuse back in for speaker functions to return.

Narg

Reaction score
I've read where folks want this turned off to get that "rumble". ANC is for the annoying low drone on the highway, not the engine power rumble.

MartyZ

Reaction score
I think the best way to "turn this off" is to remove the microphone wires like KRField did. this can be done from the harness under the seat or from the other end at the microphones. I notice it with subs installed because it makes the subs go off trying to cancel the sound and then the subs make more noise making it try to cancel that sound too. I installed a volume switch for my subs so that i can turn it all the way down and not have the subs trying to cancel noise. Even if your stereo is off it will still try to cancel noises. without the volume knob you are doomed. If you have your volume up while listening to music it doesnt seem to try and cancel anything.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Im going to try and move my sub input signals from the rear speakers to the front and see if it stops. Someone mentioned that they think its just the rear speakers that do this.

Berk

Reaction score
I haven’t seen any post that makes mention of the “Frame mounted active tuned mass modules” as a factor. We’ve got more than just speakers generating cancelation frequencies. I imagine this is a lot like the buttkicker home theater devices, which are basically subwoofers, but instead of a cone connected to the coil, it’s a lead weight. You mount it to the frame of your furniture and connect it to the subwoofer output, and it shakes your *** during explosions. Side note, my girlfriend all of a sudden grew an interest in action films :)
Who knows what feeds the logic behind these frame mounted mass modules. It could be the ANC signaling, they could have vibration sensors of their own, and hopefully not but they might just be programmed to match engine rpm (which I doubt).
I am going to look for these mass modules tonight. I have an EcoDiesel, which does not have the ANC mics. If I have the mass modules, obviously they get their signal from something else.
Someone should figure out how to hijack the mass modules and pump the sub signal into them, that could be interesting! A02452DE-82BF-49B6-B35B-17E1156C509D.png

Berk

Reaction score
https://jalopnik.com/a-close-look-at-the-2019-ram-1500s-coolest-tech-1822465887

FF to 2:30 in the video, they show the mass modules.
For any curious non hemi owners, I’ll save you from crawling under. It’s not installed on my ecodiesel.

“As the HEMI engine’s Multi-Displacement System kicks in, and sends the truck into four-cylinder mode, an underhood sensor picks up unwanted vibrations, and triggers these ATMMs to shake their internal weights in a way that’s 180 degrees out of phase with the engine’s unwanted vibration, thus canceling it out and yielding a smooth experience for occupants. This concept is called destructive interference, and it requires tweaking to the ATMMs depending upon the frame length.“

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Adding some info about ANC, for what it’s worth. I have a 2019 2500 and had no issues with the ANC until I added an aftermarket subwoofer and amp. I knew there would be issues after reading a lot of posts.
instead of curing wires under the dash or using an adapter I pulled the mics out of the headliner and fished around and found a plug. Unplugged them, tucked everything back in and problem solved. Nice and easy and easy enough to return to stock whenever I sell the truck. Hope this helps someone.

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
2019 RAM Larmie:
Last week I put a new set of speakers in my rear door and shortly after I noticed what I thought was my exhaust being louder. The drone on the highway was really bad. I found the noise strange as sometimes it would do it at low speed and sometimes at high speed and other times in the middle of stable RPM on flat ground it would make the noise and then all of a sudden it would go away which sent me down a rat hole of wondering if the exhaust had some sort of butterfly valve or something to increase/decrease the noise.

Yesterday I unplugged the amp under the seat and went for a drive and no noise. After plugging it back in it has not acted up again.

My questions are:
1. Could unplugging and plugging the amp back in be a real fix or is something else wrong besides a god old reboot and continue?
2. Because the speakers I put in the rear doors have tweeters and the factory ones did not could the speakers be producing more sound which is messing up the noise cancelation?
3. I read about removing pins from the wiring harness and harnesses you can buy to just bypass the microphones going into the system. If you do disable the system is there any significant increase in cabin noise, road noise?
4. If you disable the microphones will your hands-free calling stop working as you can hear the people talking to you but there is no mic to pick up what you are saying?
5. If my system is busted how do you troubleshoot and fix or is it just not worth it?

Thanks,
-Lorne

Jim Marrs

Reaction score
I have a thread with a whole how to write up with pics for this.

It is a million times better. Everything else works as it should. My audio even improved ever so slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just pulled the mics out of the holder, placed a bit of electrical tape over the front of it and then put them back in.
Made a huge difference in the audio and there is no droning noise. And yes I can still use the hands free for my phone thru the system

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Jumping into an older thread on "droning". My truck has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so. After doing some searching on this forum, I was convinced it was the ANC system. Yesterday on my way home from work, it started doing it again, so I pulled over, left the truck running and pulled the F12 fuse for the ANC system. Radio sound went dead (as expected). Started driving again and was hoping to hear silence. NOPE! It continued 🤬. Any ideas? Could it be the front active air dam moving? Grill shutters? It's not consistent - happens while keeping steady speed/rpms. The droning goes up - goes down - stops - returns. Doesn't sound like a bearing. I can't be without my truck as I use it to get to work, so I'm reluctant to take it to a dealer until I'm fairly convinced what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread