5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Seats

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have my truck yet to even see if this is possible but I dreamed this mod up on my current ride. The Ram has ventilated seats, not AC cooled seats. So why don't we make them AC seats? It's hot in Texas!
Since Ram so thoughtfully ran AC vents through the center console, and bragged about more rear airflow, it's just asking to be partially diverted for a higher purpose.

My thought is to cut a hole into the side of the console low under the front seat so that cold air now blows out. Then run some hose from there up into the seat air intake - you could also cut a small hole in the hose so your under seat amp gets a drink.
Since the seat is tall and close to the console, you'd never see your mod either. I'm still wondering if a valve wouldn't be desired as this would run heated air in the winter but some of you in the north might enjoy it!

The next step is to figure out if the console ducts are on the outside of the console like I imagine they are and then pretending I know anything about fluid dynamics to determine what size hole/tubing to balance rear air and not freezing myself out.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There are also more than likely vents under the seat already directed at the rear passengers feet, you could always piggy back off that and run some tubing up to the seat.

The funny thing is I'm 99% sure I've seen this done somewhere before (not on a 5th gen)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ones under the seat should be heater ducts while the AC vents are up top on the rear of the console. That's what I want to tap into.

I'll dig around to see if someone's already cracked the code on this.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RAM seats are fantastic - much better than Ford. Don't waste your time modding them until you've felt them stock! Much better than Ford.

From my understanding, the RAM ventilated seats just pull cabin air into the seat....thereby cooling your body and the seat itself. Works great, at least in my truck. As I've said in another post - I spent a day in a 2017 Explorer and it was hot out. Ventilated seat did nothing for me. 10 minutes after getting back into my Ram (which sat in the sun all day) and the seat felt cooler than this Explorer with the seat on for 3+ hours.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ones under the seat should be heater ducts while the AC vents are up top on the rear of the console. That's what I want to tap into.

I'll dig around to see if someone's already cracked the code on this.

The HVAC floor vents under the front seats will blow any temperature air as long as the floor setting (or combo dash/floor) option is chosen. Verified this just now on my 2019 Longhorn.

I'm with @firecadet613 that the stock setup works well enough and wouldn't bother messing with it. If you did decide to make a change, there are two fans: one for the seat & one for the back.

Seat Cushion Fan:

1533148517201.png

Seat Back Fan (circled in red - located at the top of the seat near the headrest):

1533148999939.png

In both cases, the fan attaches to the venting pad which distributes air across the seat:

1533149098449.png

1533149175036.png

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HVAC floor vents under the front seats will blow any temperature air as long as the floor setting (or combo dash/floor) option is chosen. Verified this just now on my 2019 Longhorn.

I'm with @firecadet613 that the stock setup works well enough and wouldn't bother messing with it. If you did decide to make a change, there are two fans: one for the seat & one for the back.

Seat Cushion Fan:

View attachment 1997

Seat Back Fan (circled in red - located at the top of the seat near the headrest):

View attachment 1998

In both cases, the fan attaches to the venting pad which distributes air across the seat:

View attachment 1999

View attachment 2000
Thanks! Awesome info!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I come from a Mercedes SUV, and the ventilated/cooled seats on it were not even close to being as good as the RAMs.

Even on Med or Low, they do an outstanding job. Recommend you try it. Will not disappoint!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I come from a Mercedes SUV, and the ventilated/cooled seats on it were not even close to being as good as the RAMs.

Even on Med or Low, they do an outstanding job. Recommend you try it. Will not disappoint!
Thanks for that. I'm coming from the same and will definitely wait to see how they actually perform although it will probably be fall before I get it.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn which of course has cloth seats.

I wonder if the vented cushion from a Laramie could replace my seat cushion and blow through the cloth seat material?

I could just hook the fan to one of my auxiliary switches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread