5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC from defrost in all modes

ddharris

Reaction score
Here is a sample video of what it is doing @RamCares . This is after I used heated defrost to clear the initial morning dew. It does this same thing on the highway an night or real early mornings.

Watch "2019 Ram 3500 HD air from defrost in all modes" on YouTube
I don't think I have had a vehicle that doesn't do that when dew points and conditions are right. Always have to go to wipers as defrost doesn't do much.

Albert193500

Reaction score
I don't think I have had a vehicle that doesn't do that when dew points and conditions are right. Always have to go to wipers as defrost doesn't do much.
Not near as bad as these because you can't stop air from exiting the defrost vents. I have but it was due to a failed part. I am not sure if there are any trucks not doing this. I can't understand why this is not getting any media attention due to the safety nature of this. On this truck I can see you losing all forward and side views of the road including your side mirrors. This 1500 I have is a death trap in the right circumstances, night or early morning.
What I noticed on this loaner truck is when in foot only mode a lot of cold air will come out of the defrost and side vents causing the driver and passenger front windows to fog. I think I will take a picture tomorrow morning of what this 1500 does. Although most of you guys already know.

ddharris

Reaction score
Was the video you posted the worst case?

Albert193500

Reaction score
Was the video you posted the worst case?
No, the worst case was towing my 5th wheel toy hauler to and from North Carolina. I did a lot of night driving and had all kinds of stuff wedged in my dash to try to stop the cold air. It blocked about half of the total windshield and when using the wipers it made it worse. I had it on vent on the lowest speed. I had my whole family in the truck and we were evacuating from Dorian. I didn't take any pictures of that because I was not aware of the widespread issue this is. I thought it was just a bad part and I would have it fixed. That was no fun. Here is a picture of my rig, and why I have been saying how dangerous this is. I know the vast majority of HD owners tow large trailers of all kinds and blocking the windshield is bad for all drivers who share the road with us. The 1500 owners are plentiful and it seems the issue is worse yet.

20190830_114454.jpg

20190907_124726.jpg

Last edited:

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/9/19

Great news. They are getting one from the supplier tomorrow. So hopefully I will have my truck by the end of the week.

Also here are some pictures of what this 1500 is doing. I have videos to but not posting it now.

This is after about 7 minutes idle at 78 degrees and a drizzle outside

20191009_182959.jpg

20191009_182850.jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi @Albert193500,

Thanks for tagging us. You currently have a case open with our Customer Care Team. We recommend that you continue to work with your case manager, as they are in the best position to assist you.

Darlene
Ram Cares

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/10/19

Well, the truck is back home but only temporarily. They said the new part didnt ship on time and since they have nothing to move my RV they had to give it back. FYI, the dash was not pulled yet, only the lower panels and behind the glove compartment. I will probably drop it back off on Monday, hopefully the parts will be there. From what I saw they are ordering the HVAC box and 2 actuators. I will have all of the part numbers when they are installed.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Hi @Albert193500,

Thanks for tagging us. You currently have a case open with our Customer Care Team. We recommend that you continue to work with your case manager, as they are in the best position to assist you.

Darlene
Ram Cares
I have not received any calls for the last 10 days. I was told they would reach out when the truck was dropped off, that has not happened.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have not received any calls for the last 10 days. I was told they would reach out when the truck was dropped off, that has not happened.

Thanks for letting me know. I have notated in your case that you would like an update from your case manager. Please allow one business day for your case manager to contact you.

Darlene
Ram Cares

Albert193500

Reaction score
Quick update 10/19/19

The dealer has a new HVAC box and doors. They checked and confirmed it is not damaged. My appointment is for Monday. I have my fingers crossed this will resolve the issue.

This is how I have to drive to drop my kids off at school. 2 out of the 4 days I took them to school this was my view. The other 2 days it was not bad at all, just the bottom of the windshield.
20191017_071558.jpg

20191017_071605.jpg

20191017_070505.jpg

yellowboy

Reaction score
Sorry , I did not read all posts going backward from here but are they saying your fix is specific to the 3500 only or does it apply to the 1500 ?

Albert193500

Reaction score
Sorry , I did not read all posts going backward from here but are they saying your fix is specific to the 3500 only or does it apply to the 1500 ?
No, this is an attempt. They do not know the fix yet to the best of my knowledge. Ram is inundated with these complaints and from what I understand this HVAC box is a different part number so there may be changes to door or actuator locations that stop this from happening. But I was also informed a new calibration should be released soon.
I dont know if the HVAC box is the same on both 1500 and HD trucks.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/22/19

I went by the dealer to check the progress of my truck. The truck is a mess, but I see past that to see the HVAC box is out.

The following pictures are graphic in nature, the truck is only 3 months old......

20191022_163209_capture.jpg

20191022_163302.jpg

20191022_163214_capture.jpg

Albert193500

Reaction score
Another update 10/22/19

I just received a phone call from my service advisor. The box that they said was not broke is BROKE.
They have overnighted another one, it should be here by 11 am.

Here is my dilemma, we are going to Fulltime in our RV. Our house sold last week and we are scheduled to be in South Carolina on Saturday. This starts our 5 year plan to see all 50 states. I will have my wife, 2 kids, and dog with me. My closing date is Friday and I will have no way to move my RV Saturday morning. This is now becoming a major problem. Please @RamCares read this. I need your assistance in one way or another.

RamCares

Reaction score
Another update 10/22/19

I just received a phone call from my service advisor. The box that they said was not broke is BROKE.
They have overnighted another one, it should be here by 11 am.

Here is my dilemma, we are going to Fulltime in our RV. Our house sold last week and we are scheduled to be in South Carolina on Saturday. This starts our 5 year plan to see all 50 states. I will have my wife, 2 kids, and dog with me. My closing date is Friday and I will have no way to move my RV Saturday morning. This is now becoming a major problem. Please @RamCares read this. I need your assistance in one way or another.

Thanks for tagging us. Are you currently working with your case manager for this concern?

Darlene
Ram Cares

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Count me in as another user that gets this on mine too. Not sure if the door system is vacuum driven or mechanical - but the door SHOULD SEAL WELL ENOUGH when not in DEFROST - that air from the HVAC system should not be getting up those vents and causing the windows so fog.

Being in SoFla, this is also an issue for me. I see it more at night, than during the day - though I did see it while sitting idling for about 10 minutes.

Regardless of WHAT the dealers say - this is NOT A NORMAL OCCURRENCE. The doors for the distribution systems should be sealing POSITIVELY, for vent directions that are not in use.

For reference - I use AC, on LOW (not auto), with Dash & Footwell set. Usually between 5-7 on the fan speed. Have not tested in just dash vents.

My '16 Honda Pilot that I just traded with 90K miles, didn't do it when new, but as the miles went on - it started doing it.

In a humid clime (like SoFla with 80% or better most of the time) - cold air on the windshield WILL CAUSE OUTSIDE HUMIDITY TO CONDENSE.

We shouldn't have to turn the system to hot and run the defrost to bring the windshield to ambient temps - THE WINDSHIELD SHOULD BE GETTING ZERO AIR UNLESS THE VENTS ARE DIRECTED TO DEFROST.

Whether or not we see any useful resolution (as in FCA replacing thousands of HVAC boxes) - or at least the ones on those that complain, is anyones guess.

As a new owner - from what I'm gathering from discussions on this forum - it seems that dealers and FCA appear to be "somewhat less than responsive", and give a million & one excuses - the least pleasing of which is "this is normal, move along, nothing to see here".

Strangely enough - after a dozen years and 3 new Hondas (replaced every 4 years) - the dealer and Honda ALWAYS BENT OVER BACKWARDS TO ENSURE MY SATISFACTION. Would be truly sad if the first american vehicle I've purchased in years, END UP BEING THE LAST...

Rick

Last edited:

Albert193500

Reaction score
Thanks for tagging us. Are you currently working with your case manager for this concern?

Darlene
Ram Cares
I have not received a call. See my post below as this has now taken a turn for the worse.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/24/19

I am very upset to say the least. I am not sure where to go from here so I am blasting this across the internet and need some advice. Here is a link to a new thread I posted on the sister site for my truck.

In short, my 2 month old $60k truck looks like crap and it is worse now then before.

Any advice is appreciated

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Update 10/24/19

I am very upset to say the least. I am not sure where to go from here so I am blasting this across the internet and need some advice. Here is a link to a new thread I posted on the sister site for my truck.

In short, my 2 month old $60k truck looks like crap and it is worse now then before.

Any advice is appreciated

At this point - might be time to TALK TO A LAWYER.

Between the downtime of the vehicle, the inability to correct the issue - and now, damaging the interior and screwing up things during the repair - time for them to take the thing back - or ship it to detroit to let the factory techs re-do the dash. With how bad they screwed you over the PART ALONE - do you really think they're going to be able to make good on repairing the stuff they additionally damaged?

It's one thing to be strung along with "no problem found" - and quite another for a dealership to damage a $60K+ truck during a repair.

This is a heads up for me to take DETAILED PHOTOS of the entire exterior & interior before I drop my truck off at the dealership for ANY WORK. OTOH - I do all my own maintenance, so it would only go in for warranty issues.

I feel for you - I would end up being dragged out of the dealership by the law if this happened to me, after all you've been through already.

Rick

Albert193500

Reaction score
At this point - might be time to TALK TO A LAWYER.

Between the downtime of the vehicle, the inability to correct the issue - and now, damaging the interior and screwing up things during the repair - time for them to take the thing back - or ship it to detroit to let the factory techs re-do the dash. With how bad they screwed you over the PART ALONE - do you really think they're going to be able to make good on repairing the stuff they additionally damaged?

It's one thing to be strung along with "no problem found" - and quite another for a dealership to damage a $60K+ truck during a repair.

This is a heads up for me to take DETAILED PHOTOS of the entire exterior & interior before I drop my truck off at the dealership for ANY WORK. OTOH - I do all my own maintenance, so it would only go in for warranty issues.

I feel for you - I would end up being dragged out of the dealership by the law if this happened to me, after all you've been through already.

Rick

I think you are right. I have sent an email to some people at the dealership corporate level to advise them of this locations problem.

Honestly, I do not think they can make it right. Here is a more detailed list of the items found in less than 5 minutes.

"pag oil, coolant, and other oils/chemicals all over my seats, dashboard, steering wheel, door panel, floor mats and floor. In addition to this there is a gash in the passenger door panel, scuffs in other panels, what appears to be a cracked grill on the dashboard, gouges from a pick when removing the bolt covers, bolts so tight they went halfway through the plastic, stains on the seats (they tried to clean the chemicals and oil ), a very strong smell of coolant coming from under the hood, a bolt fell out of the fender liner, coolant possibly leaking from somewhere on the passenger side of the engine bay, greasy hand prints on both front doors and handles, some foreign oil type smudge across the radio display, wires routed incorrectly under the dash, at least one broken clip/plug under the hood. I am sure I am missing a few things "

I am a 25 year mechanic myself and do all my own maintenance and repairs. I told them at the dealership I would do the diagnostic myself but they said it would void the warranty it it looked like I started touching stuff in there. Now what about the stuff this tech screwed up? It's just sad that it's so hard to find someone who takes pride in their work nowadays. I'm 41 years old and in all of years of doing this, I have never done anything like this to someone's vehicle, even if they were completely deserving of it.

I have pictures of every seam and gap before they touched it. Unfortunately I trust nobody and this is my proof.

Users who are viewing this thread