5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

chalin

Reaction score
I have had my truck in 3x for the a/c. For me, the a/c works, but just not good enough. I keep a hvac thermometer in it, and have routinely checked it against my 2014 toyota venza, 2008 toyota rav4, 2017 f250, and a friends 2018 gmc 1500. the Ram blows a full 10deg warmer than ALL of those vehicles. The best mine will do is 50deg....and not even that if it is over 90 outside. I have a ramcares case open, however, they have instructed the dealer to NOT attempt anymore repairs as it is working "to specification". I am very frustrated that a 50k vehicle will not blow cold enough to be comfortable when it is really hot outside....especially when all my other vehicles do just fine. I'm going to start gathering comparable "data" from other vehicles and turn the heat up on Ram!!!!
I have the same issue and also had a case#. Today I found the case has been closed, the last I heard is operating as designed. I believe this is BS and am also frustrated with having bought a 55K vehicle that has poor A/C performance. Please let me know how you intend to "turn the heat up on Ram".

scola77

Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.

Add me to the list.

chalin

Reaction score
Add me to the list.
Guys - I suggested this before and still think it's valid to get some factory attention. We need a central file or location where anyone with the A/C issue can list their VIN. Doing so would help show how wide spread the problem is. Possibly get some action.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We need a central file or location where anyone with the A/C issue can list their VIN. Doing so would help show how wide spread the problem is. Possibly get some action.

I had a few free minutes - here you go!

This Google Sheet is formatted with what I think is needed to track the basics - PM Me if there's changes required. I haven't measured mine yet, but will do and add to the list so we can get some metrics going

dstwyatt

Reaction score
Well I had my final converation with my case manager, who basically said there is no other remedy within "this building" he gave me an arbitration phone # and FCA corporate address. I guess my step is to consult a lawyer!!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine blows cold. Just got off the bay last week, 80 or so out and was steaming so I put it to LO. In 10 minutes I had to open the windows just to warm myself back up.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This Google Sheet is formatted with what I think is needed to track the basics - PM Me if there's changes required. I haven't measured mine yet, but will do and add to the list so we can get some metrics going

View attachment 27344
I think you need to include "Build Date", 12" or 8" Screen. By now RAM has built and sold well over 100000 2019 trucks. You would think if the design of the AC was totally inadequate that the uproar would be unbearable for RAM. So, maybe it is not the entire production line, but some of those produced. So, you need to see if there is a common element to those that are failing and if so, maybe then RAM will listen. Thus, I think you need the additional information. Perhaps, add "e-Torque" or "non-e-Torque".

dstwyatt

Reaction score
i think it has been narrowed down to a blend door issue....i have noticed that as the temperature is rising you are seeing a lot more activity on this issue. I hope some owners are having no issues...I have no doubt that if I lived in the mountains in Colorado that I would never have an issue...but in Oklahoma where it is just now starting to crank up the heat, the a/c does not cool enough to make it comfortable....it's more like a cool fan

chalin

Reaction score
i think it has been narrowed down to a blend door issue....i have noticed that as the temperature is rising you are seeing a lot more activity on this issue. I hope some owners are having no issues...I have no doubt that if I lived in the mountains in Colorado that I would never have an issue...but in Oklahoma where it is just now starting to crank up the heat, the a/c does not cool enough to make it comfortable....it's more like a cool fan
Can you extend the cell width for VIN? - Needs to be at least 17 characters. Thanks
Can this be posted so that it comes up everytime some accesses the forum subject?

chalin

Reaction score
Well I had my final converation with my case manager, who basically said there is no other remedy within "this building" he gave me an arbitration phone # and FCA corporate address. I guess my step is to consult a lawyer!!

Here's the link to the info for arbitration - I'm probably going to go that way if I can get FCA to provide a written response to the letter I sent.

Cygnus A

Reaction score

Is there a way to get to the blend door to see what is going on? If it is never fully closing that would be the nail in the coffin.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Is there a way to get to the blend door to see what is going on? If it is never fully closing that would be the nail in the coffin.

If it's anything like my 03, the dash has to come out. My 03's is currently broken and I've not yet mustered up the motivation to rip the dash out. It's on my long list of things to do.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 27344

Updated. Thanks for doing this!

KcRay

Reaction score
Mine blows cold. Just got off the bay last week, 80 or so out and was steaming so I put it to LO. In 10 minutes I had to open the windows just to warm myself back up.
If it doesn't come with vent temperatures, it never happened. All kidding aside, with "feeling cool" or "blowing cold" being subjective to each individual, we wander what temps you consider as "blows cold"?

AndreiV

Reaction score
Updated. Thanks for doing this!
Just a thought: how about when you first register on forum or as an option it will require you to fill out form that captures trim level and all other goodies of your specific truck. Also have separate page form for issues related to various components. This will create huge database of different truck configurations and issues, or certain real world characteristics with out much of extra work. Admins could post monthly or semi annual reports of interesting findings.

Treek

Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn is definitely not as cold as my 2012 Bighorn, some of it I think has to do with the blower fan seems to be lower speed at low settings. I did temp test with my digital thermo, and measured 49/42 driver/pass side vents. Hard to measure since laser can hit back of vent or front levers so... Anyway took it in for recall work and had dealer look at A/C, did 3 days of testing and tweaking (evac, leak tests, etc), came back and said it was performing as intended. Now is running colder actually, got a reading in 20's, but still warmer on driver side by 6-8 degrees. In the 90s now here in Florida and it does get cold, just takes a little more time than previous. Also I need tint, which wlll help a lot, gets pretty warm through windows.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's anything like my 03, the dash has to come out. My 03's is currently broken and I've not yet mustered up the motivation to rip the dash out. It's on my long list of things to do.
I just did an '03 a few months ago...replaced all the doors. Taking the dash out is not very difficult at all. There is a U-Tube video of a couple guys doing it that helps. If you don't want to disconnect your A/C and heater lines you sill still need to make cuts in the box to get it done. I did the cuts because I didn't want to mess around with the Air Conditioning lines and having to capture, dehumidify, etc. While I had he dash out I JB Welded what was left of the broken dash pieces and installed a Dashskin after I put it back in. I did the two piece Dashskin; but if I had to do it again I would do the one piece. It's not that bad of a job. It took me about two Saturdays to get it done.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, bear with me a minute here...I did some experimenting today. I did not measure temperatures. After work today, my outside temp was reading 117 degrees; this is after sitting in an asphalt parking lot in the Florida sun today. I did the normal things that I do with the A/C; I put the seat cooler on the lowest setting, selected auto with the A/C knob and set the temp to 70 degrees. The truck was cooling; but not really fast. After a couple miles I turned the temp to LO; it did not seem to change the temperature at all; so I moved it to 65 degrees...air temp felt the same. Once the truck was moving around 50 plus MPH, there was a noticeable difference as the air got cooler. At this time my outside temperature was reading 99 degrees and it stayed there for my 25 minute drive home.
After about 10 minutes or so and about five miles of my drive home, I was sitting at a light and thought "what options are available on the UConnect screen"? So, I selected climate on the UConnect screen to have a look. I rarely look at this and almost always use the knobs. When I looked at the screen, it looked like defrost was selected even though I was getting cold air from the front vents (and defrost was not selected with the defrost button); all of the other settings were greyed out. Normally, I would select the setting for air out of the top vents if I saw this....but today was different. I noticed the top left corner where it says "Max A/C" instead and I selected it. When I did this, the front air automatically selected, temperature dropped to LO, the recirculate vent closed, and the fan went to high. Within a matters of seconds after selecting "Max A/C" the air was much colder than it had been. No, I didn't measure temperature; but I could tell it was much colder. It was so much colder that I actually turned it down in a few miles.
Without a doubt, this is the coldest air that I have felt from my truck in the eight months that I have owned it. So, I'm wondering if everybody normally operates it like I do with the knobs. Maybe the doors drift or get hung up when its parked or the software doesn't completely engage everything by just hitting the AUTO knob and adjusting the temperature. Maybe this is some sort of software thing where the Max A/C resets all the doors and sets everything up for optimal performance. For those who don't feel the truck is cool enough; have you tried selecting "Max A/C" on your UConnect screen? I am interested to hear if anyone else has tried this and what their thoughts are. In my opinion, the Max A/C worked really well.

chalin

Reaction score
If you want to compare temperatures with other postings it would be helpful if you tested and recorded temps according to the attached document.

Attachments

• Diagnosis and Testing - AC Performance-1.pdf
    931.1 KB · Views: 30

dstwyatt

Reaction score
i keep a HVAC thermometer in my vent at all times...it never gets below 50...all the other vehicles i check go to 40...so it's not subjective

Users who are viewing this thread