5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Comprehensive Guide to Towing with the 2019 RAM 1500 - Everything You Need to Know!

beemerb0y

Reaction score
If you look at info here it explains in great detail why and how it is wrong.

But to get to the jist of it...the numbers are for the configuration..example crew cab 6'4 bed v8 4x4.

It is not for a Rebel or a Laramie with every option you have.

That number is provided on the tire and loading sticker on drivers door jamb.

And the towing is by taking truck weight and payload from 139000 or 17000 depending on how the truck is equiped.

And the way the site figures it is with 300 lbs for passenger and driver. I for one weigh near that myself.

Hope I understood your question right, I have been batting a thousand misunderstanding questions lately.

Hope that explained it.

Played around with the towing guide on the RAM website, put different VINS of different builds of the same trim level (ie: different VINs for dofferent Rebels) and the max weight and payload was different each time. So it does in fact take into consideration the trim level, options/build, etc. Please correct me if Im wrong

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Played around with the towing guide on the RAM website, put different VINS of different builds of the same trim level (ie: different VINs for dofferent Rebels) and the max weight and payload was different each time. So it does in fact take into consideration the trim level, options/build, etc. Please correct me if Im wrong

They may have fixed the site by now, but I would always use the door sticker instead of the website.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Using a VIN, yes the configurator gives you the proper numbers.

Most just put the configuration. Which has been the issue.

Not sure what time frame my quoted post is from.

Originally, when we started this thread the configurator was wrong no matter what.

A member here @Dawn had an issue and through her effort the configurator has been updated.

So. Yes. If you use the VIN the configurator will give you the correct number (about 99.2% of the time now) this takes the configuration and adds the options. So yes. Your experiment did what you said, and is the proper way to use it.

Way to many people are just using the configuration still and getting false numbers. I think by now we have explained this numerous times and would hope everyone can read it and understand.

Now the issue is the max tow number. It only allows for 300lbs (driver/passenger/cargo) 70 lbs for hitch and 10% tongue weight.

Very, very few people can hit that number. For me, it is that i have a family of 5 and I by myslef weight 295. The other issue is most travel trailers need 12 to 14% tongue weight.

Hope this makes sense.

Use a VIN and your good. Use a configuration and you are not.

beemerb0y

Reaction score
Thanks devildodge
a lot of wrong info online
even this guy reviews the Rebel and says it tows 7520#

check time market 6:21

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@beemerb0y

The numbers that do not change are GVWR GAWR GCWR. Then using the supplied payload number you can find curb/base weight. Then it is a matter of doing the math to see what you can do.

That is truly the only way to get the proper number.

Then,of course you got the crowd that says add bags and hook the trailer and the crowd that says DO NOT EXCEED ANY NUMBER YOU WILL DIE.

For info. GVWR is gross vehicle weight rating. This is specific to configuration. 4x4 or 4x2 deciding 7100 and 6900 with Hemi. Of course their are a few others, but these are the common ones.

GCWR is Gross combined rating. This is determined by gear ratio. 3.21 13900 and 3.92 17000. Again for a Hemi.

Gross axle on a 4x4 is 3900 front and 4100 rear.

Base weight is GVWR minus payload. This all from the door jamb sticker...or using a VIN in the configurator.

The limiting factor is the truck being a 1500 and i believe the reason the combined axle rates add up to more than the GVWR is because of physics, mainly weight transfer during starting and stopping.

Glad to see many more people researching before buying and getting the proper trailer for the truck.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
After riding in my brothers 2500 non-tuned duramax chebbie today, I’d be more than willing to try and tow up to an 9K wet trailer with a RAM 1500. His “wood wagon” was absolutely horrid driving around town.
And gas mileage? He gets 10-11 towing, 15 in town not towing. That’s not so great for a mighty diesel. His GM mechanic said that the newer models (his is a 15’) get even less mpg’s.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
Great writeup!
I was attempting to explain the combinations of weights to a new truck owner that just bought a 2500 Cummins because he wanted to tow a toy hauler. Running the numbers on his truck he would have had a better tow capacity with the 6.4 Hemi only due to tongue weight of the 5th wheel. He just kept saying "I got a diesel it can tow it" Yes diesels have stupid torque for the hills... I understand that... but they are a heavy iron beast!

His as configured had less payload than my 1500! (but he does have 1000lb more tow capacity... not much gained for over twice the $ and not useable as per calculations)
His: 2020 2500 Laramie Megacab, Cummins, 3.73 axle tow and fifth wheel package. (he said sticker said 1700lbs, wouldn't let me see it, but charts online are around the same)
Mine: 2020 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 6'4" bed, 3.92 axle full tow package. (my sticker states 1748lbs)

Quickly running numbers, he had about 1700lbs payload (he wouldn't let me see his sticker), minus people and pets 700lbs (guessing and being modest, family of 4 and 2 Rottweilers), his fifth wheel hitch ~160lbs all in, his low profile tool box empty ~80lbs (im sure it was empty :ROFLMAO:). leaves what? 760lbs? his trailer was GVW 13800, 15% on the tongue fully loaded would be 2070lbs? If he had the Hemi, he starts around 2500lbs, giving him 800lbs extra payload??? for a total of ~1560lbs and a max trailer (in 5th wheel) of 10000 lbs, that difference in tongue weight equates to about 5500lbs of trailer!

My setup basically has the same payload as his (mine is 1748lbs) , Just a slightly lower GCVWR, We were looking at a "150 compatable 5th" that was 8600lbs fully loaded, TW of 1290, passenger weight 450lbs, ultralight 5th wheel hitch at 102lbs, and nothing in the bed. My truck still would have been 100lbs over. we decided on a 7594lb (fully loaded) bumper pull (lower profile, lower tongue weight, better mpg, no steps inside, and we went 5 ft shorter to keep same turn radius as the 5th had.) and our numbers were much better since we now dont have 102lbs of 5th wheel hitch, and a tongue weight of 760lbs. Our actual scale reading shows a payload total of 1296 in the truck when we intentionally fully loaded the trailer to actually check our weights. Ill have to say 1940lbs of stuff is a lot for camping :LOL:

The just of the story was I wanted to try to help someone prevent a very costly potential mistake... but what do I know... I just ran numbers that "dont mean a thang, the ram commercial said..."

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Great writeup!
I was attempting to explain the combinations of weights to a new truck owner that just bought a 2500 Cummins because he wanted to tow a toy hauler. Running the numbers on his truck he would have had a better tow capacity with the 6.4 Hemi only due to tongue weight of the 5th wheel. He just kept saying "I got a diesel it can tow it" Yes diesels have stupid torque for the hills... I understand that... but they are a heavy iron beast!

His as configured had less payload than my 1500! (but he does have 1000lb more tow capacity... not much gained for over twice the $ and not useable as per calculations)
His: 2020 2500 Laramie Megacab, Cummins, 3.73 axle tow and fifth wheel package. (he said sticker said 1700lbs, wouldn't let me see it, but charts online are around the same)
Mine: 2020 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 6'4" bed, 3.92 axle full tow package. (my sticker states 1748lbs)

Quickly running numbers, he had about 1700lbs payload (he wouldn't let me see his sticker), minus people and pets 700lbs (guessing and being modest, family of 4 and 2 Rottweilers), his fifth wheel hitch ~160lbs all in, his low profile tool box empty ~80lbs (im sure it was empty :ROFLMAO:). leaves what? 760lbs? his trailer was GVW 13800, 15% on the tongue fully loaded would be 2070lbs? If he had the Hemi, he starts around 2500lbs, giving him 800lbs extra payload??? for a total of ~1560lbs and a max trailer (in 5th wheel) of 10000 lbs, that difference in tongue weight equates to about 5500lbs of trailer!

My setup basically has the same payload as his (mine is 1748lbs) , Just a slightly lower GCVWR, We were looking at a "150 compatable 5th" that was 8600lbs fully loaded, TW of 1290, passenger weight 450lbs, ultralight 5th wheel hitch at 102lbs, and nothing in the bed. My truck still would have been 100lbs over. we decided on a 7594lb (fully loaded) bumper pull (lower profile, lower tongue weight, better mpg, no steps inside, and we went 5 ft shorter to keep same turn radius as the 5th had.) and our numbers were much better since we now dont have 102lbs of 5th wheel hitch, and a tongue weight of 760lbs. Our actual scale reading shows a payload total of 1296 in the truck when we intentionally fully loaded the trailer to actually check our weights. Ill have to say 1940lbs of stuff is a lot for camping :LOL:

The just of the story was I wanted to try to help someone prevent a very costly potential mistake... but what do I know... I just ran numbers that "dont mean a thang, the ram commercial said..."
Yep, numbers are numbers however how they are “interpreted” by either a salesman, an owner of a diesel that needs to justify it or whomever. I agree that for your basic lower cost towing the 2500 gasser is fine. I would defer to a diesel for Colorado passes on a regular basis as the diesel exhaust brake is very nice, however for flatland towing a diesel just isn’t necessary. But then “you only live once” so go buy a diesel, their mechanics need to eat too!

Edit: But get the extended warranty as the clogged up dpf filters are expensive to fix and that still seems to be an issue especially the Dmax.
Maybe the Cummins does a better job at passive or manual regens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarge65

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the discussion. We are talking about getting a TT and I knew I would need something to tow it with, hence, getting the truck. I have some experience towing, just not my own stuff and this is great information and gives pause at what my limites might be. Thanks.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me throw a wrench in here and we'll wait for the grinding gears and gnashing of teeth. Have a safe tow and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

red.harlan

Reaction score
I am doing research before I make a decision...but I need to gain some knowledge (which brings me here).

I am moving soon. I own a 2020 Ram Rebel w/HEMI, almost all the options, but no towing package (I never thought I'd tow anything). I'm researching the possibility of towing my Honda Odyssey (2010).

If I've done my reading right on the forums here, I have the following info:
GVWR: 7100 (per sticker)
Payload: 1164 (per sticker)
Base Weight: 5936

GAWR (Front): 3900
GAWR (Rear): 4100

I don't own a trailer so I would have to rent one. From a little bit of research, I've gotten two options...(1) don't do it; (2) flat bed trailer with Odyssey loaded onto it. I guess the dolly trailer wasn't a good option (/shrug).

I'm estimating my Honda to be at 4700 lbs, but plan to pack stuff in it for the move. Assuming I am able to tow it, I will be weighing it before towing.

Can you guys offer any guidance?

Thanks!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I was surprised... I plugged into the U Haul towing calculator your truck and a (2014) Honda Ody and it came up as “not recommended” for both the flatbed twin axle trailer and the 2 wheel dolly. I’d have thought the 4 wheel trailer was ok however the inputted 5K hitch (that I used) might have been too low.

Years ago I towed a few horse trailers with half ton trucks, and 1 or 2 horses in them. Maybe wasn’t the best but it worked. Course back then nobody really thought about GVW, GVWR, GCVWR or anything. it was “tire squat” and how bad it dropped the rear.

Hope that you can find a car hauler trailer that will rent to you.
or just get this guy (see: thedrive.com, September 20, 2020)

Chevy Silverado Driver Busted Towing 70-Foot Mobile Home on Rural Missouri Highway​

As his truck obviously could pull your van... 🤔🚚😱

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The hitch would be atleast 10k...most likely 12.

The ball mount in 2 inch is usually only at 7500lbs.

Check what you have. The truck should be able to tow that with no issue what so ever. Jut remember 55 MPH. I am sure someone will tell you to tow as fast as you want. But I would sta y at 55. Take the back roads instead of the highway.

Do not be in a hurry

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am doing research before I make a decision...but I need to gain some knowledge (which brings me here).

I am moving soon. I own a 2020 Ram Rebel w/HEMI, almost all the options, but no towing package (I never thought I'd tow anything). I'm researching the possibility of towing my Honda Odyssey (2010).

If I've done my reading right on the forums here, I have the following info:
GVWR: 7100 (per sticker)
Payload: 1164 (per sticker)
Base Weight: 5936

GAWR (Front): 3900
GAWR (Rear): 4100

I don't own a trailer so I would have to rent one. From a little bit of research, I've gotten two options...(1) don't do it; (2) flat bed trailer with Odyssey loaded onto it. I guess the dolly trailer wasn't a good option (/shrug).

I'm estimating my Honda to be at 4700 lbs, but plan to pack stuff in it for the move. Assuming I am able to tow it, I will be weighing it before towing.

Can you guys offer any guidance?

Thanks!
I would advise putting it on a trailer and and using a 2 5/16 ball in order to get the load capacity you will need. I wouldn't trust a 2" ball with the weight you will be towing, and yes, scale it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would advise putting it on a trailer and and using a 2 5/16 ball in order to get the load capacity you will need. I wouldn't trust a 2" ball with the weight you will be towing, and yes, scale it.
If he rents a uhaul the only option is for a 1-7/8 or 2" ball.

The max load on the trailer is ~5200lbs . the trailer empty weighs ~2200lbs. They are a 7500lb GVWR trailer

I got my adjustable hitch at wally world. I have a 7500lb 2 inch ball. Make sure you do not get the 5000lb 2 inch ball.

So it is possible with the uhaul trailer.

But I have to agree with trooper and if you can get an equipment trailer with a 2-5/16 ball it would be a better situation.

Just be sure to go slowly and pay attention to the straps and the trailer tires and bearings.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If he rents a uhaul the only option is for a 1-7/8 or 2" ball.

The max load on the trailer is ~5200lbs . the trailer empty weighs ~2200lbs. They are a 7500lb GVWR trailer

I got my adjustable hitch at wally world. I have a 7500lb 2 inch ball. Make sure you do not get the 5000lb 2 inch ball.

So it is possible with the uhaul trailer.

But I have to agree with trooper and if you can get an equipment trailer with a 2-5/16 ball it would be a better situation.

Just be sure to go slowly and pay attention to the straps and the trailer tires and bearings.
That won't leave much for packing. Years ago I ran into a similar problem, and just bit the bullet and bought a trailer to do the job with the intention of selling it on the other end. Worked out good, and actually held onto the trailer and used the h$!! out of it. But that was just me.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That won't leave much for packing. Years ago I ran into a similar problem, and just bit the bullet and bought a trailer to do the job with the intention of selling it on the other end. Worked out good, and actually held onto the trailer and used the h$!! out of it. But that was just me.
Over the last few years I’ve wanted to buy a car hauler trailer, a 20+’ tandem axle covered trailer and a 6x10’ landscape trailer... my back yard would look like a used trailer sales lot if I had done all that. But what are yards for anyways?

red.harlan

Reaction score
The hitch would be atleast 10k...most likely 12.

The ball mount in 2 inch is usually only at 7500lbs.

Check what you have. The truck should be able to tow that with no issue what so ever. Jut remember 55 MPH. I am sure someone will tell you to tow as fast as you want. But I would stay at 55. Take the back roads instead of the highway.

Do not be in a hurry
I think we will be shipping/selling the Odyssey instead. We don't want to drive separate vehicles, but it's a 1700 mile move. That's a long way at 55mph, not using highways. Even if we used highways @ 55mph (assuming that is legal in every state), that would still be a long drive. I am guessing 36 hrs of driving...with kids, that's 5 days :). Thanks for all the help! It's better to find out here than with a scattered mess on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread