5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Comprehensive Guide to Towing with the 2019 RAM 1500 - Everything You Need to Know!

Stryker6040

Reaction score
hey all do these truckx have thd trailer towing pages to set length and such for the blind spot? Some times when i use my 16ft trailer the dissplay says Auto other times it'll say 20', other times it says 30 feet

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
hey all do these truckx have thd trailer towing pages to set length and such for the blind spot? Some times when i use my 16ft trailer the dissplay says Auto other times it'll say 20', other times it says 30 feet
I'm sure I saw the ability to manually set length in the manual - do a query in the pdf. We have a 24' TT and the auto-detect has always picked it up as 30', which is correct as it's in 10' increments. The only glitch I've had was when starting the truck, hitching the TT and then pulling out without shutting the truck off first. I had a new light on the dash that was a trailer in a circle/slash. My blind spot detection didn't register the trailer until I shut down and restarted a bit further down the road.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here’s another pretty good article chock full of math and numbers:
from pickuptrucks.com: (Dated March 16, 2018)
Pickup Trucks 101: How Much Can My Truck Tow?

BigBear1612

Reaction score
What I don't understand is if a fifth wheel is within the weight limits of the truck why do you say don't pull the fifth wheel? What is the difference between a fifth wheel and a travel trailer with both having basically the same weights? Isn't the fifth wheel much safer to tow?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I don't understand is if a fifth wheel is within the weight limits of the truck why do you say don't pull the fifth wheel? What is the difference between a fifth wheel and a travel trailer with both having basically the same weights? Isn't the fifth wheel much safer to tow?
A fifth wheel trailer, opposed to a tow behind trailer, all things being equal as far as weight on trailer and truck loading, is far superior in handling in out of straight line or cross-wind situations. As far as straight line normal situations, they are pretty much the same. In situations where the operator is a novice, start light and small(opinion), and if available, get training, and get experienced in small doses before getting a 3500 and a 20k trailer. Lack of experience is a huge problem, no matter the weight and length.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
The difference is all about tongue weight- which runs 10-12% of the trailer and pin weight which runs 20-25% of trailer weight. Most half ton trucks do no have enough payload to handle the higher requirements of the pin weight. There are other reasons, but this is the main one. There are some lightweight fifth wheel trailers that advertise 1/2 ton towable, with lower pin weights.

silver billet

Reaction score

Because you'll be very hard pressed to find a light enough fifth wheel that you can tow while being within the rating of your truck. Most 5th wheels are heavy pigs, and then put 20% of the weight of the trailer on the back of your truck, plus the hitch, some cargo, and some passengers, and you'll blow right past your payload.

Simple example; 9000 pound 5th wheel at 20% tongue weight = 1800 pounds. That's just tongue weight on an empty 5th wheel, and that's already beyond the payload of most 1500's unless you get a v6 tradesman. At that point you haven't added any cargo to the trailer, or the truck, or added any passengers.

A 9000 pound travel trailer at 10% tongue weight = 900 pounds. Already creeping up quite close to 3/4 payload just by hooking up an empty trailer. But doable if you're careful.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
The Blind spot senses length as you make turns. The sharper the turn, the more accurate the estimation. Mine always starts at auto, then 20 ft coming out of storage, then 30 ft after the first left at the traffic light.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because you'll be very hard pressed to find a light enough fifth wheel that you can tow while being within the rating of your truck. Most 5th wheels are heavy pigs, and then put 20% of the weight of the trailer on the back of your truck, plus the hitch, some cargo, and some passengers, and you'll blow right past your payload.

Simple example; 9000 pound 5th wheel at 20% tongue weight = 1800 pounds. That's just tongue weight on an empty 5th wheel, and that's already beyond the payload of most 1500's unless you get a v6 tradesman. At that point you haven't added any cargo to the trailer, or the truck, or added any passengers.

A 9000 pound travel trailer at 10% tongue weight = 900 pounds. Already creeping up quite close to 3/4 payload just by hooking up an empty trailer. But doable if you're careful.
Like I said, "all being equal".

BigBear1612

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Winnebago Micro Mini 26.9 ft the GVWR is 7,000 lbs with a pin weight of 1060 lbs. I think it would be just right for my wife and me. Do you think it would be a good match for my truck?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Winnebago Micro Mini 26.9 ft the GVWR is 7,000 lbs with a pin weight of 1060 lbs. I think it would be just right for my wife and me. Do you think it would be a good match for my truck?
Haven't seen one, but weights sound good. If you have towed before, you shouldn't have any problems.

BigBear1612

Reaction score
Here are the specs on the new fifth wheels from Winnebago's website.

2405BHNEW2405RG2405RL
Exterior Length26'9"26'9"26'9"
Exterior Height111'5"11'5"11'5"
Exterior Width27'7'7'
Awning Length18'18'18'
Interior Height7'7'7'
Freshwater Tank Capacity4 (gal.)313131
Water Heater Capacity (gal.)666
Holding Tank Capacity4 — Black (gal.)252525
Holding Tank Capacity4 — Gray (gal.)255025
LP Capacity5 (lbs.)404040
GVWR (lbs.)7,0007,0007,000
Sleeps9544
Axles (lbs.)2@3,7002@3,7002@3,700
Dry Weight (lbs.)5,7405,7805,640
Furnace (BTU)18,00018,00018,000
Hitch Weight (lbs.)1,1401,0601,100
Tire SizeS/B 235/75R15S/B 235/75R15S/B 235/75R15

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Not sure who you are adressing your question to however its normally two things that make bigger 5vers hard for a 1500 to pull, one is the pin weight (the weight on your 5th wheel hitch) that is often 20% of the total trailer, then there’s the frontal drag area.
For pin weight you just have to look at the payload sticker in your truck, subtract the items/people in the cab, and anything in the bed (including that hitch), then you’ll likely see you can’t legally do it.
Second is the frontal area. That “brick” or “sail” area blocks the wind and creates a big frontal drag. Some 5vers are pretty aerodynamic but still they stick high up compared to a travel trailer.

Instead of just my postulations, if you have the time here’s a 5 page thread from rv’ers on both sides of the “1/2 ton towable” fence, as posted on the Heartland Owners Forum:
Thread: "The Myth of the 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheel" - Trailer Life Magazine

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here are the specs on the new fifth wheels from Winnebago's website.

2405BHNEW2405RG2405RL
Exterior Length26'9"26'9"26'9"
Exterior Height111'5"11'5"11'5"
Exterior Width27'7'7'
Awning Length18'18'18'
Interior Height7'7'7'
Freshwater Tank Capacity4 (gal.)313131
Water Heater Capacity (gal.)666
Holding Tank Capacity4 — Black (gal.)252525
Holding Tank Capacity4 — Gray (gal.)255025
LP Capacity5 (lbs.)404040
GVWR (lbs.)7,0007,0007,000
Sleeps9544
Axles (lbs.)2@3,7002@3,7002@3,700
Dry Weight (lbs.)5,7405,7805,640
Furnace (BTU)18,00018,00018,000
Hitch Weight (lbs.)1,1401,0601,100
Tire SizeS/B 235/75R15S/B 235/75R15S/B 235/75R15
Those are good stats and its nice that trailer makers are working hard to make trailers that a properly configured 1/2 ton truck can safely tow/stop. I’m all in favor of people making good decisions after careful consideration of the facts. Just remember that dry weight is stripped...

Different makers will exclude different things but normally it‘s a bare bones non-optioned trailer with “dry” tanks, no propane, no batteries etc... you wont ever tow a dry weight trailer but 1 time, that’s when you pick it up. When your family is done loading it, it’s the “wet weight” that you need to multiply by .20+ for the pin weight.

Now there‘s a forum member or two here with lots of 5ver trailer towing experience who aren’t that concerned with excessive trailer weights due to their level of experience. While I don’t count myself in that club (having never towed a fiver), my brother drove semi’s for 34 years and has towed heavy fivers for 2 decades (though never with less than a 250/2500). Anyway, it’s his 3+ million miles of safe driving experience that would over-ride any overweight trailer issues. So what’s your level of experience?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’ll let the continual “can I safely tow this” discussions move on without me as ”I don’t have a dog in this hunt”.
Just be reasonable with your weights/lengths, keep your equipment maintenance up and your speeds down.
Good luck with your choice and experiences.

Tpreston

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with payload of 1,374 per the door sticker. It looks like the payload will be close for me with a camper that has a dry weight of 5,230 and tongue weight of 575 (probably 550 lbs with me, the wife and the dog. Guessing because I’m not asking my wife what she weighs).
my question is can I help reduce payload by putting stuff like tools, clothes, etc. in the trailer instead of the truck? Of course this doesn’t help total weight, but it seems like it would only increase tongue weight by a small % of the total weight of the gear.
thanks

silver billet

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with payload of 1,374 per the door sticker. It looks like the payload will be close for me with a camper that has a dry weight of 5,230 and tongue weight of 575 (probably 550 lbs with me, the wife and the dog. Guessing because I’m not asking my wife what she weighs).
my question is can I help reduce payload by putting stuff like tools, clothes, etc. in the trailer instead of the truck? Of course this doesn’t help total weight, but it seems like it would only increase tongue weight by a small % of the total weight of the gear.
thanks

Yes, if you have available payload in you trailer, then (theroretically) carefully arranging the gear in the trailer will only transfer 10 to 15 percent of their combined weight, to the bed of your truck, vs 100% by putting it in the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online