5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Comprehensive Guide to Towing with the 2019 RAM 1500 - Everything You Need to Know!

rpresley49

Reaction score
4) EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW:
*Disclaimer - The following information was sourced and provided directly from FCA using the RAM Body Builder Guide and has not been modified or altered in any way. It is verbatim, as specified by FCA engineers and can be found on the FCA Fleet Body Builder Website. IF you still have any questions, contact FCA directly or contact your local RAM dealer.

TO GET THE MAXIMUM ADVERTISED TOWING CAPACITY of 12,750 lbs:
You can only achieve the Max Tow as advertised in one specific configuration
TRADESMAN 1500 4X2 Quad Cab 6'4" box with STANDARD Options (When properly configured which translates to)
A) Trailer Tow Package
B) 3.92 Axle Ratio
C) 5.7 Hemi w/ MDS w/ ETorque and 8 Speed Trans
Leaving you with a Payload of 1,830 lbs.
You cannot get the MAX Tow and MAX payload in the same configuration. It's one or the other.
See the "Master Tow Chart" attachment for reference.

TO GET THE MAXIMUM ADVERTISED PAYLOAD of 2,300lbs:
TRADESMAN 1500 4X2 Quad Cab 6'4" Box with STANDARD Options
A) 3.6L Pentastar V6 W/ ETorque and 8 Speed Transmission
B) 3.21, 3.55 OR 3.92 Axle Ratio
Leaving you with a Max Tow of 6,730 to 7,730 lbs.
See the "Master Tow Chart" attachment for reference.

Again, you can not get Max tow and Max payload in the same configuration.

TO ACHIEVE THE MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY OUT OF ANY CONFIGURATION OR TRIM LEVEL W/ ADDITIONAL OPTIONS:
*This does not mean you will get the maximum advertised Tow Capacity or Payload of 12,750 lbs / 2,300 lbs with every model, it simply means to say that you need to add the following options to get the maximum available REMAINING Tow Capacity and Payload depending on the powertrain, options, body style (configuration) and trim level you choose!
Every option you add, both production options or aftermarket accessories, will increase your vehicle's base weight thereby reducing the available payload capacity and Max Trailer Weight Rating.
See the attachment 'Optional Equipment Weights' to see how much each production option will affect this calculation.
You need to have:
A) Trailer Tow Package w/ Electronic Trailer Brake Controller
B) 3.92 Axle Ratio
C) 5.7 Hemi w/ MDS and 8 Speed Transmission (Some MAX Tow ratings improve with ETorque and others decline, the 'Master Tow Chart' specifies which)
This will give you a Gross Combined Weight Rating of between 17,000 lbs and 18,200 lbs, depending on your configuration.

INTERPRETING THE INFORMATION
The BASE weights on the "Master Towing Chart" attachment for each configuration are calculated using the lowest trim model in that configuration equipped with STANDARD options and includes the weight of fluids w/ full tank of fuel. It is then further broken down by each available power train and gear ratio option in that configuration. This means that for every option you add, the BASE WEIGHT goes up, eating into the remaining Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combined Weight Rating and therefore the Max Trailer Weight Rating (TWR) and Payload capacity go down.

TERMS AND DEFINITIONS

BASE WEIGHT
(As defined by FCA)
THE WEIGHT OF A STANDARD EQUIPPED SALES UNIT (VEHICLE LINE, BODY STYLE, GVWR, ENGINE, TRANSMISSION & ELECTRIFICATION) WITH FULL QUANTITIES OF FUEL, LUBRICANT & COOLANT
BASE WEIGHT = GVWR - PAYLOAD
E.g. GVWR 7,100 lbs - 1,380 lbs Rated Payload Capacity = 5,720 lbs Base Weight.

PAYLOAD (As defined by FCA)
THE COMBINED MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT OF OPTIONS, CARGO AND PASSENGERS THAT THE TRUCK IS DESIGNED TO CARRY.
PAYLOAD = GVWR - Base Weight

Your Vehicle's Payload specification can be found on the 'TIRE AND LOADING LABEL' on the B pillar behind the driver's door. The number next to 'THE COMBINED WEIGHT OF OCCUPANTS AND CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED' in x,xxx lbs is your payload.
View attachment 10771
This 2019 RAM Limited has a payload of 1,380 lbs.
Anything you put into the vehicle including the driver, passengers, cargo, accessories, tools, junk, anything really, must be subtracted from this number!
So, if you have a driver and a passenger (300 lbs), snacks and water for a trip (5 lbs), your dogs (150 lbs) tools/stuff/junk under the seats or in the storage bins (40 lbs), or maybe a family friend (150 lbs) - 65 lbs trailer hitch = 710 lbs
Available payload = 1,380 lbs - 710 lbs = Your remaining available payload is now 670 lbs.

The tongue weight of a trailer must ALSO be subtracted from the available payload (Using a Weight Distributing Hitch, or not! Don't Confuse what a weight distributing hitch does. It simply allows you to distribute more weight toward the front axle of the vehicle. The full 1,250 lbs tongue weight is still fully applied to the tow vehicle, period.)

So now, if you're going camping and plan to hook up to your travel trailer with a tongue weight of 1,250 lbs and you only have 670 lbs of remaining payload, you're now exceeding the Payload AND Gross Vehicle Weight rating of this vehicle.
670 lbs - 1,250 lbs = -580
Therefore, you're 580 lbs over payload capacity.

This Scenario is purely for argument's sake showing the simple math involved.
View attachment 10772
This Vehicle's GVWR is 7,100 lbs.
Remember, GVWR is the MAXIMUM allowable weight of a fully loaded vehicle (See Definitions)
Also remember, Base Weight = GVWR - Rated Payload Capacity.
If GVWR = 7,100 lbs and Rated Payload is 1,380 lbs = 5,720 lbs
Base Weight is 5,720 lbs
So if the, GVWR is 7,100 lbs - 5,720 lbs Base Weight - 710 lbs passengers, driver, snacks, dogs, tools/stuff and family friend - 1,250 lbs tongue weight - 65 lbs Trailer Hitch = 645 lbs over payload,
Then GVWR of 7,100 lbs + 645 lbs = 7,745 lbs. You're now not only over the maximum rated payload capacity but also over the maximum allowable weight (GVWR) of this vehicle.
You're likely over the CCWR Also! See The Gross Combined Weight Rating Definition for a further breakdown and explanation.

This Scenario is purely for argument's sake showing the simple math involved.

GROSS AXLE WEIGHT RATING - GAWR (As define by FCA)
THE MAXIMUM WEIGHT TO BE CARRIED BY A SINGLE AXLE (FRONT OR REAR).

GROSS COMBINED WEIGHT RATING - GCWR (As defined by FCA)
THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT OF THE TOWING VEHICLE AND THE LOADED TRAILER – INCLUDING ALL CARGO AND PASSENGERS – THAT THE VEHICLE CAN HANDLE WITHOUT RISKING DAMAGE.
Continuing the scenario from above:
If the Gross Combined Weight Rating is 17,000 lbs for the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited above, ALL cargo, occupants, dogs, snacks, toys, extra fuel, clothes, food, dishes, camping chairs, gear, Weight Distribution Hitch, potable water, generator, basically ANY and everything inside the trailer or the truck, must be subtracted from this number!
If the truck is already 7,745 lbs
then 17,000 - 7,745 lbs = 9,255 lbs GCWR remaining.
The weight of the trailer is roughly 10% of 12,500 lbs!
9,255 lbs remaining GCWR - 12,500 lbs = -3,245 lbs
You are now 3,245 lbs over the GCWR and should not be on the road.

This scenario is purely for argument's sake. Just showing the quick simple math involved to figure this all out for those who were not sure.

GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING - GVWR (As defined by FCA)
THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT OF THE FULLY LOADED VEHICLE.

TONGUE WEIGHT (As defined by FCA)
THE WEIGHT A CONVENTIONAL TRAILER PUTS ON THE BACK OF A TOW VEHICLE. 10 PERCENT OF THE TRAILER WEIGHT RECOMMENDED FOR A CONVENTIONAL HITCH TRAILER AND 15 PERCENT RECOMMENDED FOR A GOOSNECK OR FIFTH WHEEL TRAILER.

TRAILER WEIGHT RATING - TWR (As defined by FCA)
THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT OF A TRAILER PLUS CARGO THAT A VEHICLE CONFIGURATION CAN HANDLE.
Trailer Weight Rating in the charts is calculated as specified in SAE J2807 and as follows:

TWR = GCWR - Base Weight - (minus) the following:
Occupant Weight = 300lbs
Options weight is option content above 33% sales volume. (Simply for the calculation of this chart, your truck will be based on the options you ACTUALLY have)
Trailer equipment weight = Class IV receiver hitch is 11.1 lb (if not already included in options weight).
Trailer Hitch weight is 10 lb if TWR is less or equal to 5,000 lb
Trailer Hitch weight is 65 lb if TWR is greater than 5,000 lb.

Let's do a quick calculation using the information in the attachments!
Let's use a RAM 1500 4X4 Crew CAB 5'7" Configuration with:
A) 5.7L V8 w/MDS and 8 Speed Trans
B) 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
C) Tow Package

That gives us:
Base Weight = 5,260 lbs
GCWR = 17,000 lbs
Max Trailer Weight Rating with Standard Options = 11,340 lbs.
So,
If TWR = GCWR - BASE WEIGHT (Including ALL options you actually have) - ACTUAL OCCUPANTS WEIGHT - TRAILER TOW EQUIPMENT WEIGHT (if not already included in options) - HITCH WEIGHT
Then,
GCWR = 17,000 lbs - 300 lbs (Occupants weight) - 5,260 lbs (Base Weight) - 33.17 lbs (Panoramic Power Sunroof) - 60.14 lbs (Wheel-to-wheel sidesteps) - 43.3 lbs (Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau cover) - 43.2 lbs (overhead console) - 33.17 lbs (Power Fold away heated mirrors) - 65 lbs (Trailer Hitch)= 11,152.02 lbs

Max. Trailer Weight Rating for this specific configuration is roughly 11,152 lbs.

I hope all of this information is helpful! If you have any questions/comments/issues with anything I've written here, please let me know and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can!
Is it possible my door jamb sticker is wrong? It says payload is 976lbs. My truck is a 2021 1500 Limited crew cab, 4x4, 5.7l Hemi MDS Etorque ,trailer tow group, bed utility group, Rambox, Dual pane sun roof, 33 gal fuel tank, multi function tailgate, tri fold Tonneau cover, 3.92 limited slip rear axle and protection group.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible my door jamb sticker is wrong? It says payload is 976lbs. My truck is a 2021 1500 Limited crew cab, 4x4, 5.7l Hemi MDS Etorque ,trailer tow group, bed utility group, Rambox, Dual pane sun roof, 33 gal fuel tank, multi function tailgate, tri fold Tonneau cover, 3.92 limited slip rear axle and protection group.
Nope. That is right...welcome to the reason they call it Limited.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes that sounds right but it’s not because of the Limited trim that has your payload under 1,000 lbs, it’s all the heavy options.

- Ram Boxes
- eTorque
- Pano roof
- multi function tail gate
- 33 gallon tank
- protection group

Redfour5

Reaction score
Go here put your VIN in and see if it matches. https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes that sounds right but it’s not because of the Limited trim that has your payload under 1,000 lbs, it’s all the heavy options.

- Ram Boxes
- eTorque
- Pano roof
- 33 gallon tank
- protection group
I have the E-Torque and pano, none of the rest, and 2-WD, and am at 1365

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

- Ram Boxes
- eTorque
- Pano roof
- 33 gallon tank
- protection group

What about sound deadening material etc that is only present on Limited trims? Different glass options too maybe?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about sound deadening material etc that is only present on Limited trims? Different glass options too maybe?
I think that starts at Laramie's? I know mine had the acoustic glass, it really does make a big difference compared to the tradesman 2500 I have now.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Acoustic windshield and both front door windows are standard across the lineup.

Not sure about sound deadening, but if so it wouldn’t be a major weight penalty

rhilt1013

Reaction score
I just ordered a '22 Rebel Ecodiesel with the following options:
Air suspension, Bed Utility, Ramboxes, Comfort/Convenience, advanced safety, trailer tow, 33 gallon tank, rebel level 2, rebel 12.

I am not able to find any information on cargo/towing capacity for the 22's anywhere. The only thing I plan on towing with the truck would be a 2 horse bumper pull with a max tounge weight of 600-700 lbs, loaded weight of 6K-7K lbs max using a WDH.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to know if this will be able to be done safely?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension, Bed Utility, Ramboxes, Comfort/Convenience, advanced safety, trailer tow, 33 gallon tank, rebel level 2, rebel 12.

I am not able to find any information on cargo/towing capacity for the 22's anywhere. The only thing I plan on towing with the truck would be a 2 horse bumper pull with a max tounge weight of 600-700 lbs, loaded weight of 6K-7K lbs max using a WDH.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to know if this will be able to be done safely?

Realize that this chart is a general starting point for a no-options truck. Your optional equipment will lower payload, and thus towing capacity.

No different from 2021

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With an Ecodiesel, Ramboxes, and a 33-gallon tank, I would guess your max payload will be around 1000-1100 lbs. So by the time you account for a 150-200 lb driver and a 700 lb tongue weight, you won’t have much left for capacity. But it doesn’t sound like you will have a problem. Unless you’ve got 6 bales of hay in the bed.

SBrentnall

Reaction score

You should be fine. Since most of your weight is in the trailer, not in the bed of the truck, the low payload may not be an issue for you. Just try and put as much stuff as possible in the tack room rather than in the bed of the truck.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your Pull capacity should be fine to pull what your wanting to pull, your not going to need much payload capacity at all with a loaded out truck such as what your ordering. If you need more to in payload just put in the trailer and pull it. RAM have a great pull capacity even the loaded one with the 3.92 gears for sure. Congratulations on the new truck!

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Anyone able to help? I've read the stuff above but I'm still a bit confused.

The max payload according to my door sticker is 1611 (vs the base 1860)

Since the vehicle weight is up ~250lbs, I'm guessing the "ideal" 11,320 (max trailer) number drops by the same amount to ~11,070?

Honestly, I'm not looking at something that big anyhow, the two I looked at have dry weights of 4500-5500 I think GVWR for each is 7200-8000. So that would be the max with water/gear/etc right?

The part I'm confused on is tongue weight... one of the trailers says 490 hitch weight, the other 795...

The 490 would be right at the 500lb limit I saw somewhere, but it seems with WD hitch that number increases, if I understand correctly, the limit would be my payload on the sticker, minus passengers and other gear in the truck?

So if the passengers, gear and hitch add up to 600lbs, and the door sticker says 1611, then with a WD hitch my max tongue weight is 1011lbs?
Is this correct?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The part I'm confused on is tongue weight... one of the trailers says 490 hitch weight, the other 795...

The 490 would be right at the 500lb limit I saw somewhere, but it seems with WD hitch that number increases, if I understand correctly, the limit would be my payload on the sticker, minus passengers and other gear in the truck?

So if the passengers, gear and hitch add up to 600lbs, and the door sticker says 1611, then with a WD hitch my max tongue weight is 1011lbs?
Is this correct?

Sounds like you’re looking at travel trailers. Dry tongue weight isn’t realistic. Estimate 12% of trailer weight.

You need a WDH, which will also weigh 75-100 lbs

Correct if passengers, gear and WDH combined weigh 600 lbs then you have 1,011 lbs left to carry the tongue weight

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re looking at travel trailers. Dry tongue weight isn’t realistic. Estimate 12% of trailer weight.

You need a WDH, which will also weigh 75-100 lbs

Correct if passengers, gear and WDH combined weigh 600 lbs then you have 1,011 lbs left to carry the tongue weight
Thanks, the 600lbs is probably pretty accurate. With our current smaller camper, the only stuff in the truck, is the two of us (~400lbs total) our golf clubs (~60lbs total), the hitch (~100lbs), and then there's some buffer for misc stuff.

But to be honest, I'd not want to get near that 1,011lbs for tongue weight anyhow. I am just glad my understanding of the calculation is correct. I'm going to try and keep the tongue weight under 750lbs.

I really don't want a travel trailer longer than 26ft anyhow... just becomes a pain to store and get into many campsites. But initially I was trying to keep it to 22ft max as I was worried about the weight.

xjarcher

Reaction score
New member here! According to the Dodge website my tow capacity is 8140lbs. My 5th wheel weights 7740lbs. So in the real world I'll be right about at the capacity.
Is the rating any different for a 5th wheel?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New member here! According to the Dodge website my tow capacity is 8140lbs. My 5th wheel weights 7740lbs. So in the real world I'll be right about at the capacity.
Is the rating any different for a 5th wheel?
What's the pin weight and what's your payload?

Users who are viewing this thread