5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

ac1dd

Reaction score
Interesting you say this, I can brake hard and watch my AC temp drop 5 degrees. Its as if I'm causing Freon to move and circulate better....

Wow that's crazy, although it isn't impossible that the pressure in the system increases slightly causing the temp to drop.

Anyone else care to offer an explanation as to why that might occur?

stevesfirstram

Reaction score
That's pretty much what my vents blow without the hose being clamped off. With the hose clamped, I'm getting about 44 degrees from the driver's side vent even with 95 degree outside temps.
Mine is the same way. The clamp works like a champ. I see no other side effect to doing this. I worry I may damage the hose though. Ram needs to come up with a fix for us.

stevesfirstram

Reaction score
There are more people on here to learn more about their trucks, seek ideas for upgrades and accessories than just to complain. It just so happens that many share the experience of sub standard cooling from their AC. For example I could never drive around in 90+ deg temps with my AC set at 73 or 74 like you do, that’s not a comfortable temperature for me, nor is the 51-54 deg I am getting out of my AC vents acceptable. Right now with the AC on Max with recirc. I just expect the AC in this new truck to provide the inside cab temp that my last 2500, F-150 and Tundra did in same outside temps. I have found that my AC blows the exact same 51-54 deg at 70 degrees outside temp as it does at 90 deg outside temps. Thank god for this heater core valve jimmy rig or I’d be miserable.
I think the problem is more wide spread than we know. Some of the symptoms and temperatures listed here are exactly the same as mine. I read where RAM does not use a heater control valve like manufactures did in the old days. The heat from the heater core is definitely infiltrating the A/C system. Using the clamp is so significant, I can't believe there aren't more people out there living with higher temps thinking this is acceptable or normal. I rode in a friends 2014 Durango going to lunch and I noticed his A/C seemed weak but when I said something to him about it he said it was fine and has always worked like this. This is not a something is broken problem. It is an engineering problem which makes me think it should be more common. Just my opinion.

Hambonehead

Reaction score
I recently took my truck in and had them look for an update for poor AC performance. They found no update but the tech relearned the blend doors positions and since it has blown noticeably colder.

Damion

Reaction score
be interested to know how the relearn process goes. If its something anyone can do or if you need the tech computer.

ldoh

Reaction score
Wow that's crazy, although it isn't impossible that the pressure in the system increases slightly causing the temp to drop.

Anyone else care to offer an explanation as to why that might occur?

I've noticed temp changes in other cars when I make sharp left or right turns. I always assumed it was the cold and hot cabin air sloshing about the enclosed space.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Yup. Same thing we all have concluded. Glad to see more videos coming out. No more of this "my ac is ice cold" mess. Unfortunately it's within Rams current specs. We are all just complaining amongst ourselves at this point. Until folks stop buying, we all just get to keep suffering. In fact, I'll probably trade mine and hope this doesn't get out and drop the value of the trade. We are probably hurting ourselves by continuing to expose it.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really wish the competition would make a commercial comparing a sweating new ram customer to a new competitor truck customer displaying the AC temps, that might make Ram do something about this.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Yup. Same thing we all have concluded. Glad to see more videos coming out. No more of this "my ac is ice cold" mess. Unfortunately it's within Rams current specs. We are all just complaining amongst ourselves at this point. Until folks stop buying, we all just get to keep suffering. In fact, I'll probably trade mine and hope this doesn't get out and drop the value of the trade. We are probably hurting ourselves by continuing to expose it.

Don't think that way. If everyone lay down and caved in, car manufactures wouldn't create modifications for anything that needed attention after customers purchased, owners need to keep pushing and not stop. FCA would love for you to just "go away" and trade in. Don't do it. Keep battling them, and embarrassing them too. Exposure is key.

boofizzle

Reaction score
So my truck was in recently for a warranty repair, picked it up on 9/10. When I dropped it off I told him to check if a software update was available for AC performance (i mentioned it because I thought I'd seen it mentioned on here). He later called and said there was. Since I've had my truck back I'd say it does seem to be better than before. But after sitting in sun all day this week it still does take some time to cool down. I have no idea how to check software version if that's possible. Or maybe it's a placebo affect.

Previously my AC had seemed to have good days and bad days. Sometimes it would stay warm but cool down after driving for a while.

Soldierguy

Reaction score
So my truck was in recently for a warranty repair, picked it up on 9/10. When I dropped it off I told him to check if a software update was available for AC performance (i mentioned it because I thought I'd seen it mentioned on here). He later called and said there was. Since I've had my truck back I'd say it does seem to be better than before. But after sitting in sun all day this week it still does take some time to cool down. I have no idea how to check software version if that's possible. Or maybe it's a placebo affect.

Previously my AC had seemed to have good days and bad days. Sometimes it would stay warm but cool down after driving for a while.

I was told my my dealer that fca is working on an update and I mentioned it in here. They should have given you a service receipt after the work was done and it would say on there everything they did and what flash update number was flashed and to what module. Let me know if they did really flash an update

Firepower2010

Reaction score
Well...after 6 weeks in the dealer, I got it back "fixed", yeah right...They said they tested up and down, and finally found my system was "over charged" from the factory by a few "grains", they dialed it in, and supposedly now all in 100% spec. My take? very marginal improvement at best...So the problem continues....Well I wholeheartedly believe there are fundamental engineering problems, that FCA is doing their best to sweep under the rug. I really think it might be time to get all the evidence together and start a class action suit to twist their arm and force them to spend the money to fix the problem.. Anyone game?

boofizzle

Reaction score
I was told my my dealer that fca is working on an update and I mentioned it in here. They should have given you a service receipt after the work was done and it would say on there everything they did and what flash update number was flashed and to what module. Let me know if they did really flash an update
I checked the ticket it only says updated, but no software version.

Soldierguy

Reaction score
I checked the ticket it only says updated, but no software version.
I called my dealer on Wednesday and was told still waiting on the update. So idk if your dealer told you that something was done just to get you on your way or not. I know when I have had updates at my dealer it tells you what they updated and to what version. @RamCares the star case that you say for me has been on going for almost a year now and still no fix. My ac is not the greatest and I have had the system turn off on me a few times now and comes back on after about a minute. My dealer tells me just have to wait for the update and check back at my next oil change which is going to be awhile. This update I have been waiting on for over 2 months now. It should not take this long. I feel like I and we are getting the run around just to get us out the door.

MTaylor

Reaction score
So here's a thought. The 2020 Rams will be out soon and if the AC blows substantially colder than the '19, then we may have some hope. It will be easier to pin FCA down to the differences in AC systems when the 18's and 20's are 'normal' and blow sub 50 from the drivers side while the 19's blow 5 to 10 degrees warmer. Of course then we would need a lawyer or State AG to show interest.

So, has anyone actually tested the 2020's to see if performance is better than the 19's ? I'm in the market now and almost traded off my 2013 RAM Sport on a 19. I pulled out and decided to think about it...wanting a couple more test drives and do a bit more research. Glad I did that now.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, has anyone actually tested the 2020's to see if performance is better than the 19's ? I'm in the market now and almost traded off my 2013 RAM Sport on a 19. I pulled out and decided to think about it...wanting a couple more test drives and do a bit more research. Glad I did that now.
If you can find a 2020 on the lot that suits you, you can test the AC vent temps yourself during a test drive. i wouldn't take delivery of one without testing the temps. Just a thought.

ac1dd

Reaction score
When you go for the test drive take a thermometer with a probe and see what you find on max AC, recirc, while idling.

Best is a high quality digital gauge with a corded probe.

jb772

Reaction score
For those of you that keep the auto start/stop feature on these trucks enabled, does your AC get extremely warm when sitting at a light? I've had to disable the start/stop because I was sweating to death with my AC on the lowest it can go. I was starting to feel light headed because I was so hot and the truck wasn't cooling down; however, after I started driving with it disabled and had the truck constantly running after about 8 minutes it started to blow cold. I took my truck into the dealership once for this warm AC issue and they said my system was low on freon from factory and did not have a leak, they "filled" the system back up to spec and everything looked "normal" - that was a month ago, I'm still sweating my *** off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/