5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Rototerrier

Reaction score
There are at least 5 AC threads running. Here is a list.....
1) Air conditioning Hack
2) RAM AC poor performance TWITTER/FACEBOOK
3) A/C Performance
4) Air conditioning performance
5) Update on A/C issues

Not sure if threads can be combined.

You have to stop with the didn't color text. Some don't contact well. It's horrible. Especially purple and blue.

I'm sitting in a parking lot right now with hf hose clamp and can't get below 50 from any vent. Fortunately they all produce 50, but this sucks.

Attachments

• 20190528_175850.jpg
    20190528_175850.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to stop with the didn't color text. Some don't contact well. It's horrible. Especially purple and blue.

I'm sitting in a parking lot right now with hf hose clamp and can't get below 50 from any vent. Fortunately they all produce 50, but this sucks.
[/QUOTEI
I just figured it out....I had my computer on "dark" mode so I see white background on text. I fixed a bunch of posts. Green seems to show up good in both screen modes. Thanks for pointing it out!

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What is outdoor temperature and humidity at the location?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

All Good now!

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

All good now. I was in "dark" mode that makes text look different. Thanks!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Normal text like ^^^ is easy to read on most devices.

Now if your sig was less than a book long.. :)

One can only assume he doesn't use this site on a mobile device. I'm 50/50 and when on mobile I have to scroll a page or 2 to get past his signature and massive fonts. Isn't technology grand!

This is one of those situations where the site should limit font colors and signature lengths to help keep things clean and under control.

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
did you test the temps coming out of the vents?

thank you!
Yes, the case worker I have at Chrysler (not the dealer) was not satisfied with their explanation. It's weird because at times it blows cold and other times it does not. I called a very reputable auto air conditioning expert in Dallas and he called his friend at a Ram dealership. He said that they are aware of a problem and the engineers are working on a fix for it, but have not come up with one so far. I had my temps measured coming out of the vents this morning and this is what it read.......Far left driver's side was 49 degrees, center console left vent was 53 degrees, right console passenger's side was 51 degrees, and far right on passenger's side was 48. I will report this back to my case worker and see what she says.

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate y’all are having problems. Picked my RAM up on 17MAY and haven’t had a problem. I often turn the blowers down. 26732

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s unfortunate y’all are having problems. Picked my RAM up on 17MAY and haven’t had a problem. I often turn the blowers down. View attachment 26732
What is your truck model and what option package do you have, Level 1 or 2. What area of the country do you live. Must be somewhere hot, shows 102 degrees on your Uconnect screen

AndreiV

Reaction score
102F, lol.. Since temp sensor is in the side mirror my always reads 90+ on 80 degree day while sitting. Only if you drive for a while it will show true temp.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
102F, lol.. Since temp sensor is in the side mirror my always reads 90+ on 80 degree day while sitting. Only if you drive for a while it will show true temp.
Nice description.....”Paid Off “, l like it!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One can only assume he doesn't use this site on a mobile device. I'm 50/50 and when on mobile I have to scroll a page or 2 to get past his signature and massive fonts. Isn't technology grand!

This is one of those situations where the site should limit font colors and signature lengths to help keep things clean and under control.
Sorry guys....didnt realize it is so different for mobile users. I will shorten signature and cool down font size. I just felt we had some great discoveries about how to get colder AC until Ram engineers come up with proper fix. :cool:

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Sorry guys....didnt realize it is so different for mobile users. I will shorten signature and cool down font size. I just felt we had some great discoveries about how to get colder AC until Ram engineers come up with proper fix. :cool:

Muchos Grassyass. Significantly better. Thanks!!! (y)

FYI, I did some more testing with the HF clamp and when I recently posted that I was sweltering in a parking lot, I'd actually left the house with the clamp OFF and put it on at a previous stop. I think having the heat already present in the system causes it to take a while to cool down. Once we left the parking lot and drove a bit, it finally came down to about 43.

I've since been leaving it clamped as soon as I leave the house and the temps go directly down to the 43-45 range almost immediately and stay there.

I was originally thinking I didn't have a problem, but after several different tests, It appears that I do and I can consistently get better results with the hose clamped. My problem is definitely not nearly as bad as some folks. Without the clamp, it seems to do a pretty good job of reaching around 50. Clearly better than what others are reporting....but still not good enough with the Pano Roof aka Summertime cabin heater blazing heat into the cabin.

Still love the pano, but 3 months out of the year it's going to be brutal. If the A/C was cooler, it obviously wouldn't be so bad.

And what really really sucks, is our other car ALSO has a pano roof and it's A/C is sub par as well. It ain't just ram having this issue. If I want to be cool, I have to take the 03 RAM Beater.

DaMythDaLegend

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't done a signature yet. Laramie, 6cyl. I live in Norfolk/Virginia beach area of VA. It was 95+ yesterday. That picture was after being in the truck for a half hr on my commute home.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a new member here. Just took delivery of my 2019 Laramie yesterday. During 3 hours of driving yesterday evening, 88 degree day, I was absolutely fuming that the AC sucked so bad on my new truck. After a Google search, this thread came up and I became a member. I called my sales manager, told him of the Service Bulletin fix for the flapper, and I am scheduled for the fix next Monday. I also went to harbor freight and bought the clamps, and stopped by Advanced for the valve. I put the clamp on first for a quick test and interim solution until after my Dealer visit. I was expecting to not notice an improvement until I was driving for 5 or 10 minutes. The engine was after all still warm (200) from running this errand. But after clamping the hose, cranking it up and checking my hose for flow.... I got in for the test drive and my vents were already blowing so cold I could see the steam. It was frigid. I'm so ****ing frustrated I have to do this on a $80k truck you have no idea. 3 months out of the year here, you need heat and defrost in the AM and A/C in the afternoon. This is unacceptable but I am thankful I now have the coldest AC of any vehicle I've driven in the last 10 years. View attachment 26817
View attachment 26817

I don't remember if this was answered but are folks seeing a change when using these clamps even though the A/C is set to LO and recirc? Basically not using Auto

MikeStang

Reaction score
Well dealership has tested truck again and said its blowing temps within spec, so I said okay did a tech go drive the truck for an hour and come back with his back sweating.?? Also from what your telling me is that all the vents are blowing close to the same temp correct.?? There was a moment of silence then he said let me go check...he came back and said no they were not but the tested another truck just like mine and it was blowing the same way as mine was... I reminded him that according to Dodges test procedure the temp was supposed to be taken on driver vent with blower on high and temps should match what that vent read within a degree or 2 and be at 45 or better at 70-80 degrees ambient temp. He told me he would call me back.
So 2 hours later he called and said they ordered a new AC plenum and it would be 1-3 weeks b4 it came in and I could come get my 2500 and return their rental...great now I gotta go through the ******** of getting another rental in 1-3 weeks.
They also mentioned that they changed the expansion valve to see if that helped.
All I know is this 2018 Ram 1500 will freeze ya out, and our fleet of 2016-2018 Ram 2500s all have colder AC lol

Users who are viewing this thread