5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can see your point, but in the cross section of trucks sold compared to the number of owners with complaints on this forum, I think it gives a skewed perspective on the performance of the AC. If I was not a car guy, knew nothing about my new Ram, other than it's shiny and everything works... I would not be here looking to chat everyone up on how cold my AC gets.
All I'm saying is that's a potential missed opportunity, due to limited info, for someone to own a great truck.

Also, @Jus Cruisin : "If you go on GMC, Ford, Corvette and I'm sure every enthusiast forum and look at pages filled with complaints, you'd never buy anything based on forum views/reviews. The average owner isn't about to spend time on forums. Us gearheads get on them because we're.... gearheads..... The forums are littered with low post individuals that are only on because they have a problem... Perceived or real and Google their particular makes forum. They would never spend time on the forum otherwise. As Vaderrebel said, take the complaints with a grain of salt and realize it's a small portion of the overall ownership. But it's a large portion of the owners that have had issues crop up."

First, Wiggum didn't say he/she was walking away from Ram, he said "The AC is the reason that I have not finalized my decision on the RAM as of yet." Wiggum obviously is just being cautious, and further said he has until December to decide, because that's when the current lease is up.

Second, do you really think these 5thgenrams forums are full of trolls? I could be mistaken, but my impression so far is that everyone posting on 5thgenrams is sincere, intelligent and legitimate. It sounds like you are assuming that 5thgenrams is exactly like many internet discussion forums, i. e. just negativity & trolling. I question that assumption.

Third, I. too, am holding off ordering a 2019 Longhorn or Limited until there is a sign that FCA is addressing the issue, and there is a legitimate fix for the problem. While it is encouraging that VaderRebel's 2019 Ram has excellent AC, there are enough new owners with significant AC problems that any reasonable person would pause before plunking down $65,000 and facing the possibility of having to wrangle with a reluctant/indifferent/incompetent dealership service department. I had not heard anything about the AC issue on 2019 Rams, but after I myself test-drove a 2019 Limited several weeks ago and was shocked by the abysmally weak AC performance, I began asking new owners here at 5thgenrams how their AC was performing. Then Jared pointed me to the two existing, multi-page threads that already existed on AC performance issues.

IMO it is completely reasonable that some potential buyers are taking a wait-and-see attitude for a short while, to see if the AC issues improve or grow. Nothing at all wrong with that, in fact that is the smart thing to do.

Along those lines, have any of you that PM'd Jessica from Ramcare with your VINs, heard from her or anyone else at Ram yet?

techieanalyst

Reaction score
I noticed that Max AC and low/low auto are different, auto seems to make things cooler

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed today that AUTO mode seems to be able to push air faster/louder than manually setting the blower speed to max (7), and it doesn't seem to be caused by recirc (unless my recirc button isn't doing anything). Strange things with this HVAC system I tell ya.

RBRK

Reaction score
Auto mode does blow a lot harder than 7 recirc or not. As far as Ram cares goes, total PR crap. They can’t do squat to help anyone, they just act like they are interested post the. Same stuff then nothing. It’s all false hope. Nobody’s A/C is cold in 30seconds ,no car or truck gets that cold that fast, never has , don’t think there is some are magical and others not.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@go-ram
No one is saying this forum is full of trolls. Just saying forums are a polarizing place for owners that have problems.

Ask your dealership service dept what if anything is a constant issue. I live about 20 miles from Orlando, my dealership has, I think, 10 service writers I've gotten to know one of them to the point he knows my name and what I own. From the number of service writers you can figure it's a decent sized dealer. I talked to him the day I picked up my Ram and asked him about a/c (we're tropical with 120 days over 90° a year). He hadn't worked with anyone at that point and while I was signing paperwork and handing over the check to buy the new truck he checked with his service manager and there had been zero a/c complaints or 12" display problems. At the time I picked up my Ram my salesman had delivered 15 new Rams. I was #16. The dealer has about 20 salesmen so its safe to say they had delivered 100 new trucks. Based on the percentage of complaints on this forum you'd figure there would be at least 10 unhappy owners.. Not the case. People around my area are using their trucks in daily 90°+ heat with really high humidity so you'd guess there'd be much more based on the complaints here.

Just trying to put forums in perspective. For all I know maybe 50% of the owners with a/c problems out of the 1000's sold are om this forum.

I'm not saying the people with a/c complaints are being unreasonable. Just saying it isn't as prevalent as it appears.

There are going to be transmission, engine, eTorque, power window, power door lock, power mirror, etc issues brought up on the forum at some point. It likely won't be widespread issues.

That's enough out of me. I need to get the 2nd pot of coffee going. :)

Yall have a good one.

chemist2000

Reaction score
Auto mode does blow a lot harder than 7 recirc or not. As far as Ram cares goes, total PR crap. They can’t do squat to help anyone, they just act like they are interested post the. Same stuff then nothing. It’s all false hope. Nobody’s A/C is cold in 30seconds ,no car or truck gets that cold that fast, never has , don’t think there is some are magical and others not.
No ones saying we want magic. I came from a GMC, it was drastically colder in general and much quicker, almost right away. I agree with you about Ramcares though.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I beg to differ, I leave my Auto set and by the time I get my seatbelt on and put'em in drive it's blowing cold air. Not cool, not luke warm, cold. Twice as cold as my 16' that took foooorever to get cool... not even cold. Seems that this is a hit or miss issue and something on the assembly line isn't consistent.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@go-ram
No one is saying this forum is full of trolls. Just saying forums are a polarizing place for owners that have problems.

Ask your dealership service dept what if anything is a constant issue. I live about 20 miles from Orlando, my dealership has, I think, 10 service writers I've gotten to know one of them to the point he knows my name and what I own. From the number of service writers you can figure it's a decent sized dealer. I talked to him the day I picked up my Ram and asked him about a/c (we're tropical with 120 days over 90° a year). He hadn't worked with anyone at that point and while I was signing paperwork and handing over the check to buy the new truck he checked with his service manager and there had been zero a/c complaints or 12" display problems. At the time I picked up my Ram my salesman had delivered 15 new Rams. I was #16. The dealer has about 20 salesmen so its safe to say they had delivered 100 new trucks. Based on the percentage of complaints on this forum you'd figure there would be at least 10 unhappy owners.. Not the case. People around my area are using their trucks in daily 90°+ heat with really high humidity so you'd guess there'd be much more based on the complaints here.

Just trying to put forums in perspective. For all I know maybe 50% of the owners with a/c problems out of the 1000's sold are om this forum.

I'm not saying the people with a/c complaints are being unreasonable. Just saying it isn't as prevalent as it appears.

There are going to be transmission, engine, eTorque, power window, power door lock, power mirror, etc issues brought up on the forum at some point. It likely won't be widespread issues.

That's enough out of me. I need to get the 2nd pot of coffee going. :)

Yall have a good one.

What you said above makes sense and raises a legitimate point, thank you for taking the time to clarify your meaning.

No doubt the statistical validity of postings on this dedicated Ram trucks website has to be understood for what it is, not simply taken at face value. If a person really wants to extract good, "bankable" information from the internet, it takes a significant amount of effort to do the research to be able to form a "bankable" conclusion. None of us can afford to let our guard down or get complacent when it comes to info on the internet. We need a handy moniker equivalent to "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware) but for the internet. As there was no internet back when Latin was formed, maybe it's as simple as "caveat internet" ;-)

I'm very glad to hear that you individually and your dealership as a whole have had overall positive experiences with the 2019 1500s so far, that's encouraging.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I beg to differ, I leave my Auto set and by the time I get my seatbelt on and put'em in drive it's blowing cold air. Not cool, not luke warm, cold. Twice as cold as my 16' that took foooorever to get cool... not even cold. Seems that this is a hit or miss issue and something on the assembly line isn't consistent.

I wish this was the case with my truck. You can get in my wife’s 2014 Honda and it’s so much different than my Ram.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember the Honda likely has about half the cabin space to cool.

I am referring to the time the cold air comes out of the vents. She also has an Odyssey which isn’t half the cabin space. My RAM blows hot air for minutes before it starts to cool and even at that it’s not great. New truck, year 2019 RAM should be best.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember the Honda likely has about half the cabin space to cool.
Cabin space is only partially relevant. What if his wife's Honda is an SUV? Then the cabin space is about equal. The temperature of the air coming out of the vents makes a much bigger difference in immediate comfort than ambient temperature of the cabin.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My RAM blows hot air for minutes before it starts to cool and even at that it’s not great. New truck, year 2019 RAM should be best.

That's not cool. Pardon the pun.

I really hope everyone gets these pesky problems, that should never be problems in the first place, fixed very soon. Then we can all get on with enjoying and modding our trucks!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not cool. Pardon the pun.

I really hope everyone gets these pesky problems, that should never be problems in the first place, fixed very soon. Then we can all get on with enjoying and modding our trucks!

Hard to resolve when the dealer says operating mormal. But hopefully they will have a TSB or something

Wiggum

Reaction score
Also, @Jus Cruisin : "If you go on GMC, Ford, Corvette and I'm sure every enthusiast forum and look at pages filled with complaints, you'd never buy anything based on forum views/reviews. The average owner isn't about to spend time on forums. Us gearheads get on them because we're.... gearheads..... The forums are littered with low post individuals that are only on because they have a problem... Perceived or real and Google their particular makes forum. They would never spend time on the forum otherwise. As Vaderrebel said, take the complaints with a grain of salt and realize it's a small portion of the overall ownership. But it's a large portion of the owners that have had issues crop up."

First, Wiggum didn't say he/she was walking away from Ram, he said "The AC is the reason that I have not finalized my decision on the RAM as of yet." Wiggum obviously is just being cautious, and further said he has until December to decide, because that's when the current lease is up.

This is exactly my feeling. I have the time to my research. The RAM is what I want but other options exist, but I keep bringing myself back to the RAM. The Ram will be more for a personal use and not a business or trailering use.

I would be interested in knowing how people did with the AC today in the 100 degree northeast.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Right at 90 here today in Ohio, as always the system blows ambient temp until you get airflow over the condenser then it cools. When I get up to 35-40mph it blows cold. Works ok for this area but I’d hate to have this in the south.

chemist2000

Reaction score
This is exactly my feeling. I have the time to my research. The RAM is what I want but other options exist, but I keep bringing myself back to the RAM. The Ram will be more for a personal use and not a business or trailering use.

I would be interested in knowing how people did with the AC today in the 100 degree northeast.
Im in CT and unfortunately I'm sick over the a/c. XDBrad is right, only when you are driving is it nice and cold. Otherwise very ambient to slightly cool air. I'm hoping they come up with a TSB soon, thank goodness summer is almost over. This is the only complaint I have about this truck!

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
It has been in low to mid 90’s the past week in WV. I drove my wifes 17 Ford Fusion most of the weekend with the family and my Ram A/C seems to be a little better than her car. It does take it a few minutes to cool but when it does it cools quickly. I was in my truck probably on and off for 4hrs today with blazing sun and the pano roof shade open and was always comfortable in jeans & boots on. I use the ventilated seats also which helps. For what its worth it does seem to take an extra couple minutes to get cold compared to my 09 sierra. That truck was silver with black cloth and no sun roof.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Quad Cab and after owning two 4th gen Quads I have the distinct feeling the AC system is a little weaker on my '19. I would say mine is slow, meaning I don't get really super cool air for the first 5-7 minutes, but it does eventually get to where I think it should be as I drive.
Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002469 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread