5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

techieanalyst

Reaction score
2018 F150 was weak as well, I’d say this 2019 and the ford were on par and as long as I use auto the ram does just fine

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
I’ve noticed something wrong with the ac system as well in 3 different limiteds I test drove. It was 94-100 degrees out, I wanted to show the wife the auto function on ac and it would never catch up and cool the cabin. The air was blowing annoyingly loud the whole time. We were just happy for the ventilated seats and thought how they were a must, I also thought of just skipping the sun roof option because how roasty it felt, now I know it’s an actual ac problem. Glad I found this post, and it will hold off buying a ram.

Han Ridge

Reaction score
Laramie crew cab, BD 7-18, AC works reasonably well. Charleston SC, Lower 90's.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2018 F150 was weak as well, I’d say this 2019 and the ford were on par and as long as I use auto the ram does just fine

Interesting, because I had the opposite experience. Ford was cold so quick and Auto mode worked great. The RAM takes forever to cool down through the vents and the Auto mode is just weird blowing at jet engine speed even when the outside temp is lower than A/C set temp

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 seems to be working a little better with temps in the 90's then my 2014 but not as cold as some other vehicles I've had. I've had vechilcles that were never really cold when new but when I got the AC serviced/filled they were colder then ever.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But as we all know.... an issue like this can happen with any manufacturer. A few of us have excellent AC and as noted, Ford owners have hit and miss AC as well. It's obviously something that will be addressed sooner than later. Don't let the zombies at the dealerships discourage you because they act like they don't have answers or care, their hands are tied. There's no parts for our trucks, no quality history or documentation because we've only had 5th Gen trucks on the road for a few months.

Frustration is understandable, but has to be balanced with patience when dealing with brand new, redesigned vehicles. FCA will not rush to fix anything until it's all documented and gone through the bureaucratic pipeline.

Everyone with crap AC will be helped and fixed, just like the clunk. Or they will have a negative social media campaign the likes of the interwebs has never seen.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone checked to see if the electric radiator fan is running on startup with the air on? The condenser coil needs airflow. This might explain why it only cools while moving. Just a thought.

Craftman

Reaction score
New #68
Has anyone checked to see if the electric radiator fan is running on startup with the air on?

Also, the rear vents in the console for the back seats need to be open. I had mine closed thinking the front area would it cool quicker but it was just the opposite.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Has anyone Paid much attention to the power shutters when you start the engine when it’s been sitting (cooled off) vs when it’s been running? I was showing the truck to some coworkers after work... I started the engine, popped the hood and after about 5 minutes I heard them move. Or at least that’s what I’m thinking I heard as there is nothing else up there that would make a noise. When I got home and shut it off I started it back up and was able to make it to the grill just in time to see them open, so even hot it’s taking 30 seconds or so for them to cycle.

I’m thinking if these shutters aren’t opening then the condenser isn’t getting enough air. Anyone else noticed or looked at them?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned previously but if I take don't use Auto is the expectation that I am in control of the fan speed and temperature of the air coming from the vents? If that's true then something doesn't make sense because after 15 minutes of driving I had the fan speed at 1, and the temp at 68. A/C light was lit. The fan speed slowed to almost nothing and vehicle started blowing warmer air. If I lowered the temp it became cold again and fan would blow at speed 1 as normal. I would expect that in Auto but not when the Auto light is off. Am I wrong?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned previously but if I take don't use Auto is the expectation that I am in control of the fan speed and temperature of the air coming from the vents? If that's true then something doesn't make sense because after 15 minutes of driving I had the fan speed at 1, and the temp at 68. A/C light was lit. The fan speed slowed to almost nothing and vehicle started blowing warmer air. If I lowered the temp it became cold again and fan would blow at speed 1 as normal. I would expect that in Auto but not when the Auto light is off. Am I wrong?

Turning AUTO off doesn't mean the air coming from the vents will be a constant 68 degrees. If the cab gets too cool, the air will get warmer to keep the cab around 68 degrees. The fan speed shouldn't be changing without your input though, if in manual mode.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turning AUTO off doesn't mean the air coming from the vents will be a constant 68 degrees. If the cab gets too cool, the air will get warmer to keep the cab around 68 degrees. The fan speed shouldn't be changing without your input though, if in manual mode.

The fan speed absolutely changes for no apparent reason. I think RAM needs some tweaking in the programming.

CMENT

Reaction score
Interesting, because I had the opposite experience. Ford was cold so quick and Auto mode worked great. The RAM takes forever to cool down through the vents and the Auto mode is just weird blowing at jet engine speed even when the outside temp is lower than A/C set temp

Me too on my 2016 F150. My Ram never shuts off high when in auto even after a 3.5hr trip up the Alleghenies at 90degrees outside. I quit using it.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Of all the problems I have read about in these forums this one worries me the most. Truck on order and it won’t be done until temps cool down. Btw I noticed on the recalls forum that there’s an open tsb on all fca vehicles. Apparently hey have a habit of leaving leak check fluid in the system instead of coolant. Has anyone with the problem had their coolant evacuated and refilled by a dealer?

Last edited:

768mph

Reaction score
Tested my and my wife’s 19 Ram AC systems.
It fluctuated between 47-55° and it was 83° outside.

Attachments

• D39CC4AC-F74C-4553-9FBB-2E8B89B59276.jpeg
    D39CC4AC-F74C-4553-9FBB-2E8B89B59276.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'm going to my auto parts store and gonna pick up a vent thermometer. BRB.

Golferboy

Reaction score
I just test drove a 2019 Limited 4X4 with the Hemi. It is 79deg here in Austin Texas, the sales guy put it on max at the lowest temp setting. I was unimpressed with how cold the air got at the vents. This truck is awesome in almost every other way, but here in Texas June, July, August, September are usually pretty hot. This will make me think twice about buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online