5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C not very cold

BigD

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the air conditioning is not very cold on these 5th gen Rams? Even at max setting. Just doesn't seem very cold to me.

Jim L

Reaction score
Do a search as it’s a common complain. I have a 2020 bought in October and have not had a chance to check mine out. Had it running the other day in mid 70’s and seemed fine

Konrad

Reaction score
With all due respect, this topic had been beaten to death on this forum and everywhere else. There are stories of people fighting with dealers and FCA over this issue, there are well known DIY workarounds... Sorry, I just can't stand another "AC not too cold" thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmodem

Reaction score
My '19 Limited was in the shop for over a week with both Ram and the dealer confirming there was an issue. My compressor, temp. sensor, and refrigerant were replaced with no noticeable difference. It'll be returning for a follow up once the weather warms, but having to buy an $8 hose clamp as a remedy on a $60k+ truck is unacceptable.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
With all due respect, this topic had been beaten to death on this forum and everywhere else. There are stories of people fighting with dealers and FCA over this issue, there are well known DIY workarounds... Sorry, I just can't stand another "AC not too cold" thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, get ready, summer is coming. Which means, the board is about to get flooded with AC threads. There are many new owners out there, who haven't been through a summer yet. :confused:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My '19 Limited was in the shop for over a week with both Ram and the dealer confirming there was an issue. My compressor, temp. sensor, and refrigerant were replaced with no noticeable difference. It'll be returning for a follow up once the weather warms, but having to buy an $8 hose clamp as a remedy on a $60k+ truck is unacceptable.
If $8 keeps me out of the dealership and the problem is solved, that is the best $8 ever. Regardless of the over inflated price of the vehicle

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Well, get ready, summer is coming. Which means, the board is about to get flooded with AC threads. There are many new owners out there, who haven't been through a summer yet. :confused:

Yep, but far the number one most active complaint I am aware of on these forums. I'm already starting to feel the heat again here in Georgia. About time to add the clamp back on.
At first I thought the OP was kidding around, but maybe he's truly not aware of how widespread of an issue this is.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Yup. Bought my 2019, noticed a few days later the ac blew out nothing. Wifes suv had colder air then my ram did just by turning it to the lowest setting with no ac on. Brought it in, they said there is a recall which carried over from the 4th gen but the part was on back order. Did a trip to Cali and las vegas in the middle of the summer with no ac, sucked ***. After 3 months of waiting and having other issues, got rid of the ram. 4 months later, dealership called me up saying the part came in. Told them they were 4 months to late and i now own a sierra at4. Cant believe FCA would allow a truck to roll off the line with something so simple as ac to be ****ed up.

dmodem

Reaction score
If $8 keeps me out of the dealership and the problem is solved, that is the best $8 ever. Regardless of the over inflated price of the vehicle
If a $65k truck doesn't have its amenities properly operating when it's sold to consumers by the manufacturer, and that manufacturer is aware of problems but chooses to do nothing, an owner should't have to jerry-rig something to have it operate as it should have from day one. Regardless of how involved it would be for FCA to authorize the heater core repairs on problematic trucks, it says a lot that they've only turned a blind eye, and if they've done no changes on the 2020s, I predict there will be a lot more complaints come June, July, and August.

dmodem

Reaction score
Is this your first Chrysler? Some of the members here would take offense to their handy work being referred to as jerry rigged
Not at all. I've had 5 Dodges / Rams over the years, but having to jerry-rig something on a new truck so it works as-intended is not acceptable.

Living Life

Reaction score
I'm out here in hot Az wondering what I have done buying this 2019 Ram 2500! A/C sucks big time. At idle temp is 60 degrees and driving on the highway it's only 52 degrees! So has FCA got a TSB or recall yet? I'm not gonna make 1 summer in this truck! Took it to the dealer and they said it's operating as designed. They even pulled up a new 2020 and showed me the temps and it was the same! I'm furious that they think 60 degrees is acceptable!

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not at all. I've had 5 Dodges / Rams over the years, but having to jerry-rig something on a new truck so it works as-intended is not acceptable.
My personal experience coming from a Chrysler family was/is something is finagled on all of them. I do agree that it's not acceptable but thankfully there is a simple solution. There are much bigger problems with some new Rams that do not have a simple fix, such as water leaking into cabs and vibration gremlins

Last edited:

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Before I was aware of the A/C clamp hack, I would switch back to my '03 RAM when it go really hot out. It's A/C is super cold. It's old, looks like crap, but still drives good and keeps me comfortable. Kinda crazy that I have to pick between being cool in an old clunker vs sweltering in a top of the line luxury truck.

I'm still just biding my time. Figure I'll dump this truck once I start getting close to 28k miles. I'm at 18k now, so won't be much longer.

Of course, the idea that I am even keeping it for the warranty is a joke. I've called in to 3 different dealers to get my transmission looked at and all of them are over a month out. I've also taken it in for other issues and they either can't fix them, or weren't able to them and would need to reschedule.

I think RAM dealers have some of the worst service in the industry. I've owned Ford and Chevy and have never suffered anything remotely as bad as what i've experienced with RAM.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did recently add ceramic tint on everything except the windshield, and I'm happy as I could be with the A/C in my truck, before and after tint.

I took a client on a fishing trip last Friday, and after a full day fishing in 90-degree temps and truck sitting in that all day. After we loaded the boat, then cleaned the fish it sat again for about an hour. 4:00 P.M. (the hottest part of the day) got in and began driving back home, and about 10 minutes in with A/C set to MAX the client was shutting his vents off saying he was cold.

I read the hack thread and decided to check my vent temps this morning. It's raining here today, 62 degrees out when I left for my 10 min commute when I got to my office I checked the temps with temp gun with A/C set to MAX and I was getting 25-35 degrees out of all vents at idle. Even if my temp gun is off a bit, my A/C blows some cold cold air.

South La. does get really hot/humid, so I'll do more testing when the temps go up again, shouldn't be too long. This weekend it's supposed to be high 80's low 90's here and it's always humid as fugg. If I need to do a modification, I will, but for now, I'm cool (pun intended) BTW, I keep my house thermostat at 67-68, so that's my comfortable ambient temp. Wife and kids always wrapped in blankets to watch a movie. My little dog (Yorkie) shivers all day unless in your lap or under the blanket with my wife. My Amstaf loves it belly first on the cold ceramic tile or wood floor when she comes in.

Last edited:

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I'm out here in hot Az wondering what I have done buying this 2019 Ram 2500! A/C sucks big time. At idle temp is 60 degrees and driving on the highway it's only 52 degrees! So has FCA got a TSB or recall yet? I'm not gonna make 1 summer in this truck! Took it to the dealer and they said it's operating as designed. They even pulled up a new 2020 and showed me the temps and it was the same! I'm furious that they think 60 degrees is acceptable!
That seems to be the standard answer from FCA. "Operating as designed" If you're one of the unlucky ones, to get a truck with crappy AC, you really only have two options. Sell it, or do the 7 dollar, AC hack.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Since all of us are not having this A/C issue (mine works fine in GA heat) there has to be a fix for it and it sounds like the culprit is the blend door is not completely opening/closing in one direction. Has anyone located the blend door for the drivers side heat/air and tested it?

Users who are viewing this thread