5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C not very cold

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe try a can of Fridgi Fresh in the cowl or cabin air intake. Have you changed the cabin filter?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe try a can of Fridgi Fresh in the cowl or cabin air intake. Have you changed the cabin filter?
Yeah i went to the dealer and got a new filter and had them spray some stuff in it, it smelled good for a few hours and that's it... i even bought the spray can from them for a whopping $24... Doesn't work, i think it's just a bad ac system design, it's not doing what it suppose to with the humidity.

bryan28

Reaction score
Put a thermometer in my vents today. Got down to around 47-48. What is it supposed to get down to? Felt pretty cold to me.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put a thermometer in my vents today. Got down to around 47-48. What is it supposed to get down to? Felt pretty cold to me.

Need more info as to what the ambient temp was during the test along with humidity.

Seems that is a normal vent temp when it is below 80*F and below 50% humidity. Seems to go up to around 54*F when those numbers increase dramatically.

Normal temps for most other vehicles are around 41*F no matter the other figures.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today it is 80F here 33% humidity, so not bad at all and a really nice day. When I got back from lunch (1:00 P.M.) and had driven about 15 minutes I checked my A/C air vent temp output with my temp gun, below is the result. Not saying my temp gun is 100% accurate, but even if it's 10% +/- it's what I have to check it.
IMG_1642.jpg

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I'm from AZ too and i got the AC Hack "just in case". Blows very cold and i'm happy with the temps, but i have another problem:
When the AC gets too cold, it seems like it doesn't get rid of the condensation water and it stinks pretty bad, i had it in my 2019 Pacifica and now in the DT Ram, I hate FCA for that bad design, i'm actually thinking of switching to another brand just because of the musty smell from ac. This issue is why i traded my Pacifica for the Ram and now i need to deal with it again.

I remember issues like that from long ago, where the A/C system would just get funky. However, I did not perform any hacks at this time. But I'll share a few observations, more so related to my 2018 JL Wrangler which I traded in this past December. On the JLWrangler forum, there were quite a few people complaining about the A/C system there as well. My JL was fully loaded with the auto temp selection, however, I always found that it never seemed to be able to control the A/C properly. It was either always way too damn cold, or too warm for me. As time went on, one of the other complaints was the fact that there's a fresh air vent or damper that seems to open on a regular schedule in the vehicle. This damper is to allow fresh air into the cabin and was a separate door outside of the actual A/C system. Problem with it of course in the summer is that all of a sudden there's warm (HOT AZ Air) entering the cabin. Couple that when you might be offroad - now you have dust coming into the vehicle. That along with the A/C system vast temp swings made me nuts.

All of my previous vehicles (mainly BMW 3/4 series) had no problems whatsoever maintaining temps regardless of what I set it at. I never really had to fuss with the temps in those cars vs that JL. My rebel must have the lower end A/C setup in it so I really only have three dials. One for Fan speed, one for temp, and one for the direction of airflow. I like this better, even though I'd prefer some "auto" temp setup, however, I find that I don't have to fuss with it much in this RAM. Not quite as good as the BMW's, but certainly far better than that JL was.

Really it boils down to very weird A/C system nonsense in these FCA products. Not quite sure what they are attempting to do given that A/C technology is nothing new....

Robmcerlean

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the air conditioning is not very cold on these 5th gen Rams? Even at max setting. Just doesn't seem very cold to me.
Just bought a 2020 last week. turned on truck today had ac on and 68 degrees.... it blew hot air untill i lowered to LO thanput back at 65 ....65 felt like 72

Living Life

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 since January and I'm already looking for a 2020 Ford Super Duty, which I never would have considered if this A.C. issue was being handled by FCA. 4,000 miles and considering trading in, what a bummer!

RainDesert

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 since January and I'm already looking for a 2020 Ford Super Duty, which I never would have considered if this A.C. issue was being handled by FCA. 4,000 miles and considering trading in, what a bummer!
You are not alone. I have 9000 miles on my 1500 and I will go back to Ford if I make the change this summer. I recently sat in an F150 and F250 on a warmish day and the ac and vent controls work perfect, just like they should and always have for me....until my last Ram 2500 and current 1500. I can't believe the current system is as bad as it is on Rams. I love a lot of stuff about Ram, but the disfunctional ventilation system is ridiculous.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
A clamp is far cheaper than the hit you'll take on depreciation. If that's the only issue you have with the truck.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Today it is 80F here 33% humidity, so not bad at all and a really nice day. When I got back from lunch (1:00 P.M.) and had driven about 15 minutes I checked my A/C air vent temp output with my temp gun, below is the result. Not saying my temp gun is 100% accurate, but even if it's 10% +/- it's what I have to check it.
View attachment 54488
that's outstanding,wish mine were close to that

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
something I don't hear much discussed is the newer refridgerant they have been using in these cars & trucks. R123YF. It's not as good as the old R134 imo, and could also be a factor.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Parts for my hack arrived today; ill be putting the valve on this week. Very sad its come to this (So thankful I dont live in FL any more)

parnine

Reaction score
Please provide pics and steps for us newbs. Many thanks!
one of the best things, 'newbs' as you say, can do when they are 'new' is to review/search the forums :) - tons of pics steps on this in many threads ..... this whole thread is a repeat LOL

airgas1998

Reaction score
View attachment 54488
I assure you that you have a unicorn truck at those temp readings. I don't think anyone has come close to those #'s...must be nice...

ldoh

Reaction score
I assure you that you have a unicorn truck at those temp readings. I don't think anyone has come close to those #'s...must be nice...

Yes, that's incredible as if pointing at an ice cold drink.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I get much colder Temps with the AC hack.. I didn't check what I used to get before the hack but now I can't even put my hands on the vent for more then 5 seconds.
The readings were taken after 10 minutes of city driving.
It is 99F outside at the time of testing.
Will get to 103 so we'll see later... but it's pretty hot and the temperatures are low af...
8bd4014c10f1408d9653141060092a68.jpg
a93a4819b3a854fdaa1daaf1ec3e6f06.jpg
27714064306fa5888670dd9bc2530770.jpg

Konrad

Reaction score
I get much colder Temps with the AC hack.. I didn't check what I used to get before the hack but now I can't even put my hands on the vent for more then 5 seconds.
The readings were taken after 10 minutes of city driving.
It is 99F outside at the time of testing.
Will get to 103 so we'll see later... but it's pretty hot and the temperatures are low af...
8bd4014c10f1408d9653141060092a68.jpg
a93a4819b3a854fdaa1daaf1ec3e6f06.jpg
27714064306fa5888670dd9bc2530770.jpg

Something is very wrong either with your A/C system, or with your thermometer. Likely the latter. I don't think an auto AC system is even capable to produce such temps. And if it somehow does, this will likely damage or destroy something. This is not a normal situation or by any means and I don't think this whole discussion should be a "whose is cooler" contest ;-)
I don't think that having a 17F air blown on your sweating self is a good idea, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread