5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C not very cold

Tomphot

Reaction score

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it’s a supplier issue on the heater boxes with some assembled correctly and others not so much. It could simply be a molding issue not allowing the blend doors to close directly. my 19 big horn had garbage ac without the hack performed and with the valve installed it blew plenty cold. My 2020 has better AC than my 19, not stellar but better by quite a bit. I actually tested my 19 with outside temps of 41 degrees and even with the AC on in fresh air mode it blew 53 degrees. With fresh air coming in and no AC on it was blowing 63 degrees. That’s 22 deg warmer than the outside air was. clearly tells you that the hot air is getting past the blend door even when it should be closed and blending with cold air which is why the AC is so poor on some trucks.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
yea, the problem is FCA has a cheat sheet that they've given to all the shops. I believe when it's in the 90's, they consider 55-60 degrees coming from the vents to be acceptable. My 03 blows must cooler. Just about every car I've ever owned blows cooler...except for an '18 audi Q7. It had weak A/C as well, but it got lemon lawed back in january so it's no longer our problem.

parnine

Reaction score
Yep, 'feel like' temp (or heat index) of 90 degrees, so outside temperature could be 84 degrees w/ 70% humidity and you'd have 90 degrees 'feel like', and acceptable driver side vent temp is 55 degrees F. My Suburban, Camry, and every other vehicle (although not all recently measured as many are in car/truck heaven) blow way colder, by 15-20 degrees in apples to apples comparison. But having said that, I've found the truck to 'keep cool' once it cools down, problem is that sometimes it takes longer cool down than my trip :( although my temps are better than the 'specs' so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a 'relatively good working blend door'.

And this topic has been beat to death on this site, but I guess there will be many more threads as no one seems to know how to 'search' anymore. So for this one, and with credit to 'Dusty1948', see below ....

FROM THE 2019 DT SERVICE MANUAL

NOTE:The work area ambient temperature must be above 21°C (70°F) and the evaporator temperature must be above 13°C (55°F) prior to conducting the A/C Performance Test.
  1. Conduct the HVAC PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE found within the HVAC Standard Procedures (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure). If no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are found in the HVAC module, Body Control Module (BCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM), depending on engine application, go to Step 2. If any DTCs are found, repair as required, then proceed to Step 2.
  2. Connect a tachometer and a manifold gauge set or an A/C recycling/charging station.
  3. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
    • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  4. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.

NOTE:This procedure requires the technician to know what the temperature and relative humidity is at the time of the test. The temperature must be combined with the relative humidity to calculate the apparent ambient temperature ("feels like" temperature), when the temperatures are above 21°C (70°F). Use the current ambient temperature and the relative humidity in your location. This information can be obtained from multiple sources, such as the internet or local news media.
  5. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
    A/C PERFORMANCE TEMPERATURE AND PRESSURE

Ambient Air Temperature (Apparent)21°C
    (70°F)
    27°C
    (80°F)
    32°C
    (90°F)
    38°C
    (100°F)
    43°C
    (110°F)
    Air Temperature at Center Panel Outlet7°C
    (45°F)
    7°C
    (45°F)
    13°C
    (55°F)
    13°C
    (55°F)
    18°C
    (64°F)
    Compressor Inlet Pressure at Service Port (low Side)138 to 207 kPa
    (20 to 30 psi)
    172 to 241 kPa
    (25 to 35 psi)
    207 to 276 kPa
    (30 to 40 psi)
    241 to 310 kPa
    (35 to 45 psi)
    276 to 345 kPa
    (40 to 50 psi)
    Compressor Discharge Pressure at Service Port (High Side)1034 to 1724 kPa
    (150 to 250 psi)
    1379 to 2068 kPa
    (200 to 300 psi)
    1724 to 2413 kPa
    (250 to 350 psi)
    1999 to 2689 kPa
    (290 to 390 psi)
    2413 to 2965 kPa
    (350 to 430 psi)
  6. See the A/C System Diagnosis table if the air outlet temperature fails to meet the specifications in the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart, or if the A/C compressor discharge pressure is high.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a problem for some members. There were about 300,000 2019 Ram 1500's built and I'm unsure how many 2020's have been built. There are maybe 0.10% that are unhappy with the performance because I figure if you don't think it's cold, you'll Google it and get linked here and log in and complain/inquire. I don't think there are 150 members actually complaining about it.

ldoh

Reaction score
It's a problem for some members. There were about 300,000 2019 Ram 1500's built and I'm unsure how many 2020's have been built. There are maybe 0.10% that are unhappy with the performance because I figure if you don't think it's cold, you'll Google it and get linked here and log in and complain/inquire. I don't think there are 150 members actually complaining about it.

It's more significant than you suggest. Not everyone goes online to search or complain about issues or bother to become an online forum member. On the other hand, there's never a shortage of forum member enthusiasts who comb through threads, downplay other's member's issues, rather than skip over the threads. And forgive me, but I assure you I am pointing at no one in particular.

A hobbled a/c system can limp along or be exacerbated. There's probably a slew of variables like climate, where the vehicle is parked (outside/garage), vehicle options like pano roof (it's big and they eliminated roof insulation) and crew cab (it's a few inches longer versus previous model),... TFL truck did a side by side comparo with an equivalent model F150 and it was a night/day difference. - their Ram 1500 Crew Cab with pano roof under performed.

There are also a/c performance complaints with 2500 models. As they say, If it walks like a duck., it's a duck...

Last edited:

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
FWIW I live in Arizona and today is around 104 degrees. I took a 10-mile ride for an errand today, with A/C on Max (initially) and have no real complaints. My truck was kinda in the shade all day and I do have good tint on the side windows, so of course, that helps, but the temp the truck was displaying on startup was 102, by the time I returned home temps were 104.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
My '19 Limited was in the shop for over a week with both Ram and the dealer confirming there was an issue. My compressor, temp. sensor, and refrigerant were replaced with no noticeable difference. It'll be returning for a follow up once the weather warms, but having to buy an $8 hose clamp as a remedy on a $60k+ truck is unacceptable.
Yes but it is the only solution right now.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I did recently add ceramic tint on everything except the windshield, and I'm happy as I could be with the A/C in my truck, before and after tint.

I took a client on a fishing trip last Friday, and after a full day fishing in 90-degree temps and truck sitting in that all day. After we loaded the boat, then cleaned the fish it sat again for about an hour. 4:00 P.M. (the hottest part of the day) got in and began driving back home, and about 10 minutes in with A/C set to MAX the client was shutting his vents off saying he was cold.

I read the hack thread and decided to check my vent temps this morning. It's raining here today, 62 degrees out when I left for my 10 min commute when I got to my office I checked the temps with temp gun with A/C set to MAX and I was getting 25-35 degrees out of all vents at idle. Even if my temp gun is off a bit, my A/C blows some cold cold air.

South La. does get really hot/humid, so I'll do more testing when the temps go up again, shouldn't be too long. This weekend it's supposed to be high 80's low 90's here and it's always humid as fugg. If I need to do a modification, I will, but for now, I'm cool (pun intended) BTW, I keep my house thermostat at 67-68, so that's my comfortable ambient temp. Wife and kids always wrapped in blankets to watch a movie. My little dog (Yorkie) shivers all day unless in your lap or under the blanket with my wife. My Amstaf loves it belly first on the cold ceramic tile or wood floor when she comes in.
25-35 degrees? No one else is seeing anything close even with the hack.

Konrad

Reaction score
Why doesn't Ramcare chime in?

How is it that new trucks have such lousy a/c and it's crickets from Ram?

Probably because this subject has been beaten to death on this and other forums.

Also, maybe they just don't care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taz2016

Reaction score
I have been watching these threads for almost a year now. I suspect the defective units are quite widespread. The air conditioner in my 2019 is the worst I have had in any of my vehicles for at least 30 years. I have not commented until now because I have nothing to add, but consider yourself lucky if you have an air conditioner that works as it should.
I have a clamp waiting for warmer weather and if it works as expected I will install a valve eventually, as it seems to be the most likely cure.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
It's widespread enough that my service adviser admitted it. Said they see it quite often and that they can only reference the spec sheet. Even agreed that mine and many others are not what he'd expect or even want. Said they even had a few on their lot that they've looked at that they think are not cool enough, but they can't do a thing about it. FCA has set the spec too high and that's kinda the end of it unless they decide to change their minds or someone sues them. Kinda seems how things go these days.

Oh, and ramcares aren't actually here to be helpful. From what I can gather, they are data gathering. I went thru an entire lemon law process here on the forums and they did absolutely nothing useful for me. I mean that literally. They'll take your info but it never goes toward anything that matters or to anyone who actually cares.

A+ for their name though. Whoever coinded RamCares gets a big cudos for marketing.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s so crazy is that whatever changes they made to the heater boxes in the 2019’s even affected the 2500’s and 3500’s. I had a 2017 2500 diesel and it blew super cold, my buddies 2019 2500 blows the same 53+ degrees as my 19 1500 blew. And you can get into a 2019 classic 1500 and it will blow low 40’s. It would be so nice if it was somehow exposed what changed and why!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I live in Arizona and today is around 104 degrees. I took a 10-mile ride for an errand today, with A/C on Max (initially) and have no real complaints. My truck was kinda in the shade all day and I do have good tint on the side windows, so of course, that helps, but the temp the truck was displaying on startup was 102, by the time I returned home temps were 104.
I'm from AZ too and i got the AC Hack "just in case". Blows very cold and i'm happy with the temps, but i have another problem:
When the AC gets too cold, it seems like it doesn't get rid of the condensation water and it stinks pretty bad, i had it in my 2019 Pacifica and now in the DT Ram, I hate FCA for that bad design, i'm actually thinking of switching to another brand just because of the musty smell from ac. This issue is why i traded my Pacifica for the Ram and now i need to deal with it again.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When the AC gets too cold, it seems like it doesn't get rid of the condensation water and it stinks pretty bad
My Kia Sorento does the same thing. I cured it by turning off the AC a couple minutes before my destination and keeping the fan on to blow out the cold wet air

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
My Kia Sorento does the same thing. I cured it by turning off the AC a couple minutes before my destination and keeping the fan on to blow out the cold wet air
I tried that, but then i had to smell this crap this whole time... it gets really bad when it blows air with the ac off...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread