5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C not very cold

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Something is very wrong either with your A/C system, or with your thermometer. Likely the latter. I don't think an auto AC system is even capable to produce such temps. And if it somehow does, this will likely damage or destroy something. This is not a normal situation or by any means and I don't think this whole discussion should be a "whose is cooler" contest ;-)
I don't think that having a 17F air blown on your sweating self is a good idea, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is very cold and I sometimes turn the AC off because it's too cold haha
I just moved the gun and the temp changes, depending on where you point, I guess there was a piece of plastic inside that was very cold, when I move it it varies from 20F to 38F. Feels good to me.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
15 degrees below freezing? Does not make sense. I would check that thermometer on an ice cube, then boiling water.

ldoh

Reaction score
I get much colder Temps with the AC hack.. I didn't check what I used to get before the hack but now I can't even put my hands on the vent for more then 5 seconds.
The readings were taken after 10 minutes of city driving.
It is 99F outside at the time of testing.
Will get to 103 so we'll see later... but it's pretty hot and the temperatures are low af...
8bd4014c10f1408d9653141060092a68.jpg
a93a4819b3a854fdaa1daaf1ec3e6f06.jpg
27714064306fa5888670dd9bc2530770.jpg

That looks like the same $20 thermometer available on amazon. It claims to be +-2C accurate under 100C and covers -58F to 716F. A few customers mention poor accuracy.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like the same $20 thermometer available on amazon. It claims to be +-2C accurate under 100C and covers -58F to 716F. A few customers mention poor accuracy.
Great detective work my friend.
It has 13,500 4.5 stars reviews... i think it's pretty good...
I will buy a different one today and check again.

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get much colder Temps with the AC hack.. I didn't check what I used to get before the hack but now I can't even put my hands on the vent for more then 5 seconds.
The readings were taken after 10 minutes of city driving.
It is 99F outside at the time of testing.
Will get to 103 so we'll see later... but it's pretty hot and the temperatures are low af...
8bd4014c10f1408d9653141060092a68.jpg
a93a4819b3a854fdaa1daaf1ec3e6f06.jpg
27714064306fa5888670dd9bc2530770.jpg

If I stick the face of my temp gun directly on the vent I’ll get reading like that as well. I took my reading about 6-8 inches away from the vent. No hack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
If I stick the face of my temp gun directly on the vent I’ll get reading like that as well. I took my reading about 6-8 inches away from the vent. No hack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ok! I'll try that...

ldoh

Reaction score
Great detective work my friend.
It has 13,500 4.5 stars reviews... i think it's pretty good...
I will buy a different one today and check again.

I've been shopping those. It's an amazing price with deceptively good Amazon stars. At least Amazon's return policy is pretty good.

BigD

Reaction score
My A/C seemed pretty cold the other day. It was about 77 degrees outside. Maybe it's just my imagination because I've read so many threads about the A/C not being cold. I'll have to see later this summer how good it works. I'll update you all. I have a 2020 so I'm hoping they fixed it by now. I was always told never buy the 1st year of a new generation vehicle. Always lots of bugs to fix. That's why I waited to get a 2020 versus a 2019.

Streetsweeper

Reaction score
I believe it’s a supplier issue on the heater boxes with some assembled correctly and others not so much. It could simply be a molding issue not allowing the blend doors to close directly. my 19 big horn had garbage ac without the hack performed and with the valve installed it blew plenty cold. My 2020 has better AC than my 19, not stellar but better by quite a bit. I actually tested my 19 with outside temps of 41 degrees and even with the AC on in fresh air mode it blew 53 degrees. With fresh air coming in and no AC on it was blowing 63 degrees. That’s 22 deg warmer than the outside air was. clearly tells you that the hot air is getting past the blend door even when it should be closed and blending with cold air which is why the AC is so poor on some trucks.
The issue is the heater hose inner diameter that FCA used on the vehicle. HVAC has other issues but not this.

eulachliko

Reaction score
Strange, because the 5th generation Rams manufactured in Detroit, USA. Such problems are generally happening in cars manufactured in warm countries such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. I suppose that your problem sits inside the machinery of your vehicle. Maybe there is a problem with the air filter of the lack of freon inside the accumulator. In your case, do not bother yourself with machinery. Instead, try to address the professionals such as https://www.majorcooling.com/ since they have the tastiest prices and friendly service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread