5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 hour trip info

GM convert

Reaction score
It can easily get 19 mpg at 77 mph. Adaptive cruise and lane sense are irreplaceable. Sound system and air ride are excellent. Climate control is perfect even in 90 degree heat. I have had a lot of vehicles over the past 20 years. This is the best.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're happy with your truck. I agree that they drive great.

unxpctd

Reaction score
While I don't have a 5th Gen Ram (yet) I will say my 2017 Ram Rebel has been an awesome truck. I only have 9900 miles on it as we speak but I took it on a 4500 mile round trip back in February from MN to CA and back. It was comfortable and consistent. The Hemi and 8-Speed never missed a beat. This is my 2nd Hemi/8-Speed combo, my first was a 2014 Durango R/T which I also loved. It is a great combo. I put 44,000+ on my Durango and plan putting at least that much on my pickup before trading it for another 2020-2021 Ram Rebel. I love these trucks! The layout inside, Rambox, 8.4 screen and just the overall feel. Best truck on the market if you ask me
263a.png

Glad to hear you love yours too. Ram really has been doing well over the years.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
It could be that Dallas is scorching hot right now but I find the AC in my Bighorn to be lacking in comparison to my 2011. I'm a pretty heat tolerant person too I might add. It's my biggest complaints of the truck right now.

Edit**
I did go from a mostly Tan interior to an all black interior, but I can't imagine that would make such a discrepancy. It just takes much longer to get the cabin cooled down to where it isn't just blowing lukewarm air in your face.

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Window tint can have a huge impact here. If you had driver/passenger tint on your old truck that and the black interior would do it.

One of the first things i do is tint over factory in the back and add a light tint to front/passenger windows. Huge difference.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DSOOBY, that's alarming. I recall reading on Allpar that the HVAC system is supposed to have 25% more flow in the '19. I was assuming that was a good thing.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I had tint put on a few days after I got the truck, so hopefully that is helping. The air blows hard, and it gets cool (eventually) but it will take around 10 minutes to start getting "cold" in the cabin to the point where I turn it off of max. I feel like it took just a minute or two of full blast to cool down my old cab, even in the middle of summer.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Remember, the cab is bigger too;).

Hope it gets worked out, or the heat calms down
I'm just going to have to use my sun shade until the heat chills out. We have had high 90's to 100* days the past week and are expecting + 100* temps for the next week or so.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd take it back to the dealer. I'll bet you are low on freon. Even a rental Hyundai cools off quickly. Don't ask how I know...

ryelinek

Reaction score
I'd take it back to the dealer. I'll bet you are low on freon. Even a rental Hyundai cools off quickly. Don't ask how I know...

Someone else had a similar issue with their new 2019 AC and it was low on Freon.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Someone else had a similar issue with their new 2019 AC and it was low on Freon.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up on that, I’ll get it checked next week. I do remember the trucks I test drive blowing pretty cold now that I think about it, it was much cooler then though

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Quick update, I threw my UVS 100 shade up on the windshield earlier this morning, and when I got back in the truck to head to lunch the AC was nice and cold in about a minute , despite it being over 95 right now. That leads me to believe it just may be a black interior + very hot temps causing the AC to underperform. I still may follow up with the dealer next time I'm in the neighborhood but it makes me feel a little less bummed about the AC.

*Sorry to OP for hi-jacking the thread by the way.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Makes sense. That dash probably acts like one giant heater that has to be cooled. My trucks black interior radiates heat off of it for quite a while if its been set out with all the windows up.

I bought in channel vent visors for this exact reason. Letting more hot air escape helps dramatically. I always crack all my windows every time. Don't have to worry about rain with the vent visors. Whn i get a new truck I'll probably buy a sun shade for the front windshield.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. That dash probably acts like one giant heater that has to be cooled. My trucks black interior radiates heat off of it for quite a while if its been set out with all the windows up.

I bought in channel vent visors for this exact reason. Letting more hot air escape helps dramatically. I always crack all my windows every time. Don't have to worry about rain with the vent visors. Whn i get a new truck I'll probably buy a sun shade for the front windshield.

I think you guys are on to something. Same issue with the heat on a hot sunny day in my F150. I'll have to pick up a sunshade for the RAM.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quick update, I threw my UVS 100 shade up on the windshield earlier this morning, and when I got back in the truck to head to lunch the AC was nice and cold in about a minute , despite it being over 95 right now. That leads me to believe it just may be a black interior + very hot temps causing the AC to underperform. I still may follow up with the dealer next time I'm in the neighborhood but it makes me feel a little less bummed about the AC.

*Sorry to OP for hi-jacking the thread by the way.

Does your UVS100 fit the 2019 Ram windshield ok? I'd like to look for a sunshade also since I've got the black interior coming.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Does your UVS100 fit the 2019 Ram windshield ok? I'd like to look for a sunshade also since I've got the black interior coming.

Yeah, it fits well enough, but not perfect. The shade I have made to fit the 4th gen Rams, and in that application, it fit like a glove. It does get a little caught up on the sensors under the rearview, but that's about it. If you're in a pinch it will certainly work, but I'm sure Covercraft will come out with a 2019 specific shade here soon. I would absolutely recommend their product over any other sun shade though.

I'll take a picture and post it for yall when I head out for the day.

Last edited:

TimG

Reaction score
I'm absolutely not trying to be a smart-a$$ here, but have you tried turning on the recirc mode? On my '05 I used to never get the cab cool, but one day on the way to a job my co-worker suggested that to me and it worked like a champ. Been doing it in all my trucks since. Figure it may be worth a shot.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I'm absolutely not trying to be a smart-a$$ here, but have you tried turning on the recirc mode? On my '05 I used to never get the cab cool, but one day on the way to a job my co-worker suggested that to me and it worked like a champ. Been doing it in all my trucks since. Figure it may be worth a shot.
Yeah, I did that. Certainly makes a difference but I think just the air temp is so high that it is just taking forever for the AC to catch up, even with the hot air let out with windows down and shut back up.

Users who are viewing this thread