5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen wind noise

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks, man! Pretty helpful. BTW - I'm in RI too.
Anytime. Glad to help a fellow Rhode Islander!
If you can locate the source of wind noise on your truck, maybe it can help save time spent at the dealer. What dealer do you use? Tasca in Johnston for me. Pretty satisfied with them so far.

Last edited:

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Not sure if my experience helps but I have a Feb 19 build Laramie Quad cab and reduced to no wind/road noise when on recirculation. With fan on speed 3 I could hear a pop when turning recirc off as the cab to bed air vents pop open, then it sounds like the passenger back window is open and hear road noise. Removed the rear seats and driving sounded like the passenger door was open when not on recirc, but still significant road noise. The seats really buffer the noise. I recently purchased the bed to cab seal that was left off newer build rams and it made a slight difference in cab noise but did not come close to solving the problem with noise. I have included pictures which show why the noise comes from the passenger side more than the drivers. The vent are located next to the sub box, the sub cutout in the carpet cover does not line up with the sub so the vent when open is directly open to the cab of the truck. So with no baffling the noise acts like a rear speaker sending road noise and open window noise into the cab.

I had everything apart so I insulated the rear of the cab putting material on the cab wall along with on the back of the carpeted cab cover. Biggest difference was from adding foam around the edges of the sub box to isolate the sub opening from the air vents. I used 3m tape and 1/2 inch pipe insulation cut lengthwise as the sub to vent seal. This made a huge difference in wind sound and road noise. Clearly another design issue, which shows up most in trucks with oem sub boxes.

Attachments

• 20190409_101604.jpg
    20190409_101604.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190409_102312.jpg
    20190409_102312.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190409_121349.jpg
    20190409_121349.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 20190409_122927.jpg
    20190409_122927.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Tom peluso

Reaction score
Looks like you solved your issue with a lot of work. BUT why when we pay what we did for our Laramie’s should we have to do this. Ram dropped the ball on this issue. I have had no luck at all with dealership and actually looked at a new Silverado last week the noise is driving me nuts.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Looks like you solved your issue with a lot of work. BUT why when we pay what we did for our Laramie’s should we have to do this. Ram dropped the ball on this issue. I have had no luck at all with dealership and actually looked at a new Silverado last week the noise is driving me nuts.
I agree with you, but my first 2019 Laramie was part ivory and part not so ivory and was bought back by the dealer. For some reason I didn't notice it as much as the new ram I picked up in Feb 2019. Thought it was the bed to cab seal that was on my earlier may 2018 build truck and not on my 2019 build. The bed seal did improve, but really resolved by the insulation/isolation work I did. Happy with the paint now, everything else seems ok so far so I thought I would take a shot at fixing the noise issue. Probably 80% reduced now

Brain h

Reaction score
Not sure if my experience helps but I have a Feb 19 build Laramie Quad cab and reduced to no wind/road noise when on recirculation. With fan on speed 3 I could hear a pop when turning recirc off as the cab to bed air vents pop open, then it sounds like the passenger back window is open and hear road noise. Removed the rear seats and driving sounded like the passenger door was open when not on recirc, but still significant road noise. The seats really buffer the noise. I recently purchased the bed to cab seal that was left off newer build rams and it made a slight difference in cab noise but did not come close to solving the problem with noise. I have included pictures which show why the noise comes from the passenger side more than the drivers. The vent are located next to the sub box, the sub cutout in the carpet cover does not line up with the sub so the vent when open is directly open to the cab of the truck. So with no baffling the noise acts like a rear speaker sending road noise and open window noise into the cab.

I had everything apart so I insulated the rear of the cab putting material on the cab wall along with on the back of the carpeted cab cover. Biggest difference was from adding foam around the edges of the sub box to isolate the sub opening from the air vents. I used 3m tape and 1/2 inch pipe insulation cut lengthwise as the sub to vent seal. This made a huge difference in wind sound and road noise. Clearly another design issue, which shows up most in trucks with oem sub boxes.
Did you notice any difference in the performance of the sub itself?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Did you notice any difference in the performance of the sub itself?
Not sure if I mentioned in my response that it seems like the sub would pull road noise into the cab. As I turned up the volume before doing my road noise modification it seemed as if road noise increased.
To answer your question, yes I feel like the sub is extreme now. I have to set my equilizer 5 bars down, mid 5 up and treble 5 up to keep from being BEAT (pun) to death by the bass.
Now there are others that have stuffed the sub enclosure with polyfil, but I don't think I could handle even more bass.

Brain h

Reaction score
Not sure if I mentioned in my response that it seems like the sub would pull road noise into the cab. As I turned up the volume before doing my road noise modification it seemed as if road noise increased.
To answer your question, yes I feel like the sub is extreme now. I have to set my equilizer 5 bars down, mid 5 up and treble 5 up to keep from being BEAT (pun) to death by the bass.
Now there are others that have stuffed the sub enclosure with polyfil, but I don't think I could handle even more bass.
Great...thanks for the response, I will be doing this and adding a small line of extra weatherstripping around the doors this weekend...pretty lane for a 50 grand and up truck to have wind noise that the customers have to fix

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Great...thanks for the response, I will be doing this and adding a small line of extra weatherstripping around the doors this weekend...pretty lane for a 50 grand and up truck to have wind noise that the customers have to fix
Sad but true. This is my second 2019 RAM as my first one was Ivory pearl and painted so badly that the dealer did a buyback on their own because of FCA being so slow to respond. The bed sides and all the plastic did not even come close to matching the rest of the truck.

Brain h

Reaction score
I
Sad but true. This is my second 2019 RAM as my first one was Ivory pearl and painted so badly that the dealer did a buyback on their own because of FCA being so slow to respond. The bed sides and all the plastic did not even come close to matching the rest of the truck.
I Feel ya...I. going through kind of the same thing now but I have a bent wheel and they aren't wanting to warranty it even though I've been to the dealer 7 times for the issue from the day I bought it

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I
I Feel ya...I. going through kind of the same thing now but I have a bent wheel and they aren't wanting to warranty it even though I've been to the dealer 7 times for the issue from the day I bought it
If there was no visible tire damage then they should warranty. Too bad you dont have my dealer...they would address it even if FCA refused, at least for me. 6 deals on trucks in 4 years helps them be nice to me.

J4U

Reaction score

Thanks for the pics!

I have sound material coming for mine as well and going to get the pipe insulation you used to do the same for the sub box. Think I'm also going to do the vent cover with polyfill (litter box fix in another thread) to add even more sound deadening and still allow vents to work properly.

Also need to pull my passenger side sunroof drain tube in from inside the cab as it keeps popping out. Going to seal the inside around the grommet on both sides as well. No water damage yet from these and going to help prevent future issues hopefully.

Many trips to dealer(s) and no help as nothing has come from FCA to pinpoint the outside noise getting in from the back passenger area. If I"m taking the seats and carpet off might as well do everything I can at once. Just tired of taking the truck in to get the "can not duplicate" when it's so obvious!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove through Nort Dakota yesterday with a friend and she wind noise was bad . Tried turning on recirc and noise totally disappeared. Shut off recirc and noise re appeared. Cannot run recirc in winter as it does not allow defrost to work. When going 75 mph and turn I on recirc you can feel your ears pop and the cab doors suck in sealing air noise. Cab inside pressure is too much for door fitments and seals. Definetly an air balance issue in my truck. It was amazing to see pressure created when bringing in fresh air. Anybody else with this issue
Run recirc with the AC on

J4U

Reaction score
The sound material showed up today and already had the foam for sub wrap. Will start taking the back apart and find a solution for the vents as I don't have kitty litter containers. Maybe some cheap plastic bowels cut out.

This is one heavy box
749b8a1b275f7481e36007820912cd6c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread