5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen wind noise

Jester19

Reaction score
I have noise with recirc on, turn it off and it goes away for a moment and comes back slightly. But louder with recirc on.
I had the same issue with my '19 Laramie. I took it into the dealer a couple of times before they found a problem with a seal at the bottom right of the windshield (where the noise was coming from). They had to completely remove the dash to make the repair. I am now going on 2+ weeks post repair and have not had the noise/whistling issue since.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my '19 Laramie. I took it into the dealer a couple of times before they found a problem with a seal at the bottom right of the windshield (where the noise was coming from). They had to completely remove the dash to make the repair. I am now going on 2+ weeks post repair and have not had the noise/whistling issue since.

Thank you so much! I will let my service advisor know. Any chance you have the paperwork with the notes you could PM me?

Jester19

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I will let my service advisor know. Any chance you have the paperwork with the notes you could PM me?
I will locate the paperwork when I get home after work. From what I remember, they didn't state anything remarkable. The in-house mechanics at the dealer were unable to find the problem themselves. I was informed by my service advisor that the issue was identified with the assistance of a visiting "factory rep" who also took part in the overall repair.

For some reason they had to discharge the a/c system during the repair process and forgot to charge it up before it was delivered back to me. That was a fun return trip for me.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I will locate the paperwork when I get home after work. From what I remember, they didn't state anything remarkable. The in-house mechanics at the dealer were unable to find the problem themselves. I was informed by my service advisor that the issue was identified with the assistance of a visiting "factory rep" who also took part in the overall repair.

For some reason they had to discharge the a/c system during the repair process and forgot to charge it up before it was delivered back to me. That was a fun return trip for me.

I appreciate it - any information I can provide to my dealer should help getting them on board with the fix.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any issues with your dash after removal and reinstallation? I have a dash defect which can only be resolved by replacement but am very set against removal for a host of reasons.

Jester19

Reaction score
Any issues with your dash after removal and reinstallation? I have a dash defect which can only be resolved by replacement but am very set against removal for a host of reasons.
I have not noticed any dash issues. Can you describe the issue you're experiencing?

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I have not noticed any dash issues. Can you describe the issue you're experiencing?

I think his concern is letting the techs take everything apart and re-assemble. So maybe anything not working right, rattles, etc.? I have same concerns.

PTRAM

Reaction score
My build date was 3-18

Reason I asked is that I found a fairly large vent cover under the driver's seat and asked what it was. My head tech took it and did not give it back to me. Can you see those vents without removing the carpet or whatever there might be covering it? I assume he looked and I had the two vents . I know about "assumptions."

Jester19

Reaction score
I think his concern is letting the techs take everything apart and re-assemble. So maybe anything not working right, rattles, etc.? I have same concerns.
There were multiple line items related to the issue. I cannot say with 100% certainty if the parts they replaced had anything to do with the issue. Either way, the problem was resolved. The only issue after the repair was that the A/C wasn't recharged, which I found out a couple days later. The dealership got that fixed pretty quickly.

I do hope this helps you out. Please let me know how the repair goes.

Seal 1.JPG Seal 2.JPG

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leather defect. The only way to rectify is swap dash as it's one piece. Only other option is live with it. Really crap quality control. It was overcast and drizzling when I picked it up so very hard to see until I got home and it lightened up outside. I fear all kinds of rattles squeaks...if I opted for dash swap that's why i was curious to hear about your experience.

HardwoodHero

Reaction score
I am one of the many that added the seal. It did help with the "road noise". I have been following these threads about "wind noise" and haven't experienced that yet.... I couldn't help but think they may be related. Now I'm thinking that possibly the rear cabin vents are NOT functioning properly....Thoughts??

I do believe that they are not working as they should. I’ll be taking my truck to the dealership this month to hopefully find a fix. I will post once I have done so.

HardwoodHero

Reaction score
What makes you think the rear cabin vents are not functioning properly?

Perhaps try to remove the seal and see if it makes a difference?

My seal on the front of the bed to the cab was never installed from the factory. I have wind noise at just about any speed. I tried the recirculating Thing and it did nothing. I’m going to add the rubber strip on the first and se what happens.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I washed my truck yesterday and think I possibly found the source of the excessive wind noise that I am hearing, but wanted some opinions.

The passenger side view mirror molding is loose. I can see the weather stripping underneath.

I tried "snapping" it back into place but it doesn't go back in.

The truck is super quiet accept for the wind noise at highway speeds. It's always present, but sometimes it really whistles and I have to roll the window down then back up again to bring it back to normal excessive wind noise.

Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. 20190310_230257.jpg 20190310_230346.jpg

whetrick1

Reaction score
Yeah I would see if they could fix that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I would see if they could fix that

Definitely going to have it fixed, just hoping it is the source of the wind noise.

I’ve been waiting until it’s due for its first service to have the two recalls taken care of. Also want this issue taken care, Uconnect TSB, HVAC TSB, and have them update the PCM, DTCM and TCM (I think it’s called?) to the latest revisions.. plus my front bumper isn’t aligned correctly..

Spoke to the Service Manager and he more or less said they can’t do anything about the bumper alignment issue, but they’ll take a look at it.

We’ll see what they say about the module updates. I know some manufacturers/ dealers will only do updates if you complain about a specific issue.. Not sure about FCA?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to have them check my bumper also. Seems like the driver's side sets in a little closer to the body than the passengers side.

Users who are viewing this thread