5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen wind noise

Tom peluso

Reaction score
Drove through Nort Dakota yesterday with a friend and she wind noise was bad . Tried turning on recirc and noise totally disappeared. Shut off recirc and noise re appeared. Cannot run recirc in winter as it does not allow defrost to work. When going 75 mph and turn I on recirc you can feel your ears pop and the cab doors suck in sealing air noise. Cab inside pressure is too much for door fitments and seals. Definetly an air balance issue in my truck. It was amazing to see pressure created when bringing in fresh air. Anybody else with this issue

Rich

Reaction score
Considering what you are saying, perhaps those rear vents (behind the rear seat) are letting in the road noise when recirc is turned off?

See the thread about the missing bed lower center gasket/seal.

Tom peluso

Reaction score
The wind noise is definetly on the upper rear portion of both front doors, I can pull in on the door top with the tips of my fingers and noise is gone. Thks

Tom peluso

Reaction score
I didn’t know there were air vents behind back seats. I will look at them, if a little air would exit these vents the cab pressure should drop allowing the door seals to work. Thanks I’ll look at this.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
That’s a normal ND day where it’s always gusting from 30 MPH ... might not be your trucks fault... just saying

Tom peluso

Reaction score
It was actually calm for ND and acts the same way here in minn. I hope I can get to the bottom of it because I love the truck otherwise.

PTRAM

Reaction score
It was actually calm for ND and acts the same way here in minn. I hope I can get to the bottom of it because I love the truck otherwise.

I have had the wind noise on the driver's side sounding like it is coming in right at my left ear. I had them change the door and body moldings at that door today and it eliminated it which surprised me. It was not too bad but darn annoying and I was determined to get it removed. I drove it on the Interstate up to 75 mph. and it is gone or at least today.

Lloyd

Reaction score
Would love to know when someone actually gets theirs fixed and what the issue really is. Dealer had my '19 Ram over a month and still terrible wind noise. They keep passing the buck, so they have no clue. Ticks me off I buy a $50k Laramie I cannot enjoy

Reactions: jpc

Tom peluso

Reaction score
Would love to know when someone actually gets theirs fixed and what the issue really is. Dealer had my '19 Ram over a month and still terrible wind noise. They keep passing the buck, so they have no clue. Ticks me off I buy a $50k Laramie I cannot enjoy
Hope this helps!! My wind noise was coming because of excess cabin pressure! This was causing outward pressure on doors and windows. At 65 mph my rear air vent was closing causing build up of pressure in cab causing wind noise. Turn on recirc and wind noise went away. Dealer then removed lower cab to box rubber weather stripping this stopped cabin pressure but added to road noise as this lower weatherstripping was there for a reason. Rear vent closes at a certain speed and it should not. No fix yet in my mind

Rich

Reaction score
Hope this helps!! My wind noise was coming because of excess cabin pressure! This was causing outward pressure on doors and windows. At 65 mph my rear air vent was closing causing build up of pressure in cab causing wind noise. Turn on recirc and wind noise went away. Dealer then removed lower cab to box rubber weather stripping this stopped cabin pressure but added to road noise as this lower weatherstripping was there for a reason. Rear vent closes at a certain speed and it should not. No fix yet in my mind

This is interesting as many are trying to add that rubber seal and no one knows why it was deleted from the truck builds. Perhaps due to cabin pressure issues?

Troyrugsucker

Reaction score
I am one of the many that added the seal. It did help with the "road noise". I have been following these threads about "wind noise" and haven't experienced that yet.... I couldn't help but think they may be related. Now I'm thinking that possibly the rear cabin vents are NOT functioning properly....Thoughts??

Rich

Reaction score
I am one of the many that added the seal. It did help with the "road noise". I have been following these threads about "wind noise" and haven't experienced that yet.... I couldn't help but think they may be related. Now I'm thinking that possibly the rear cabin vents are NOT functioning properly....Thoughts??

What makes you think the rear cabin vents are not functioning properly?

Perhaps try to remove the seal and see if it makes a difference?

Troyrugsucker

Reaction score
What makes you think the rear cabin vents are not functioning properly?

Perhaps try to remove the seal and see if it makes a difference?
I added the seal because I had "road noise" sounded like the back window was open at 55 mph+.... Some have removed the seal because of "wind noise" . Possibly with the seal the vents don't open properly and we get too much cabin pressure. Possibly without the seal we get the vent open too easily and we get road noise. I know we can use recirculation mode and it helps. Hopefully they get this figured out and send a TSB.

ddonia

Reaction score
My wind noise went away with the recirc on as well. Thanks for the tip! I hope they can fix it as using the recirc is not always the best setting.

Lloyd

Reaction score
When I fold my mirrors in, the chirping sound diminish but not completely. Recieved a recall notice in mail and was hoping it was for this. Nope, something about the 12v wiring.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I have noise with recirc on, turn it off and it goes away for a moment and comes back slightly. But louder with recirc on.

Users who are viewing this thread