5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
I used to work in a stereo shop. I installed window tint and custom stereo systems including impedance matching amplifiers, speakers, and head units for the best sound for the money. Even with that experience, this is the most confusing stereo system I've ever messed with. For everybody else looking for a TLDR, here you go:

I upgraded my four 6 x 9 speakers in my doors. I intentionally did not upgrade the speakers in the dash because I've read about the phase matching issues others have had.
I wired all four 6 x 9 speakers in accordance with the factory wiring diagram (+ to +, - to -). I had a horrible drone sound in the cab caused by the ANC as others have discussed (and they just sounded like **** overall). All 4 were OUT of phase (+ showed up on screen) with the dash speakers when checked with the "Speaker Pop" app (best $5 you could spend for this IMO).
The 3.5" dash speakers were both inverted in phase (- shows up on screen). I have to assume they knew what they were doing from the factory which is why they were wired inverted/reversed.
I wired all 6 speakers inverted/reversed and then verified they were all in phase with each other using the Speaker Pop app (all speakers showed "-" on the screen). After doing this, all drone issues caused by the ANC went away and the speakers sounded nice and clear with the amount of bass I was expecting.

Why they would produce a diagram indicating "positive" but want you to hook it to the "negative" will never make sense to me. Engineers just gotta engineer sometimes.

I'm just sharing my experience in hopes it will save somebody else some time.
I wonder how the front door speakers could be out of phase with the dash with the understanding that they are wired in parallel. ???

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
I would and did put all of the speakers in the same correct phase when I replaced mine. I also installed the same speakers and they are awesome but your right the bass is still lacking and that is only going to be solved by adding a sub or 2. I was told by a few people that sound deadening the doors will increase the bass out of these door speakers but I haven't gotten to that just yet. As it is, I spent the entire weekend sound deading the entire rear of the cab, running the power and rca cables, and installing the amp mounting board on the rear wall of the cab, for the subwoofers that I am going to install. Right now I am waiting on the fox acoustic dual 10" sub box to arrive and I can finally complete the full upgrade. This weekend I Spent a solid 14 hours working and picking up parts and my truck appears no different and sounds exactly the same as it did when I started.
What size board were you able to fit? Length and width and what side did you put it on? Driver or passenger? I would like to prefab mine, truck won’t be here for a couple of weeks.

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
There is a great deal of space, 5 3/4" at the bottom, and 5 1/4" towards the top... that is with the seat bottoms folded up (the seat back moves closer to the back wall by about an inch when folded up). Plenty of room for amps - I was even able to put a pair of skinny batteries behind the seat there was so much room.
Can you tell me the length and width of the usable area behind the drivers rear seat so I can prefab my board? Truck is still a few weeks out.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Can you tell me the length and width of the usable area behind the drivers rear seat so I can prefab my board? Truck is still a few weeks out.
I don't have exact dimensions for you - I would guess about 20Wx14T, but best to just fab that up after you've pulled the seats.

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
I don't have exact dimensions for you - I would guess about 20Wx14T, but best to just fab that up after you've pulled the seats.
Guess I’ll pull the seat out of my 19 to measure, want everything plug and play in a couple of weeks when my 22 comes in.

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
So after reviewing several posts, I decided to give the Kicker Hideaway HS10 a try. I am not looking at monster dbs just looking for a full sound with the non-alpine 8.5 setups in the 2020 bighorns. I took a chance with the PAC ANC-CH01 (for the 2019 5gens). This is also where I will tap-in for my amp input signal. After removing the driver's side back sear and clicking the back firewall looks to be a good spot. The wiring harness that is included with the Kicker Hideaway is long enough to reach the ANC module and the battery, so no other wiring kits are needed. This took no more than 4 hours, could be much faster but was very cautious not to break the plastic trim and clips. Overall I am pleased with the sound, will need to do some tuning to get it dialed in. I'm most concerned with bypassing the ANC as the truck was very quite. I will update in a few days.
Did you happen to take usable measurements when you had the rear driver seat out? Looking to prefab my amp board that will be mounted there. Looking for height and width.

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
Had some fun this morning upgrading the door speakers. Dash speakers on the way. Decided to join the Infinity Reference crew, and boy am I glad I did. Such a night and day difference. If anyone is contemplating the upgrade, do it, you won't be sorry. I have the base 6 speaker system just for reference. No feedback when driving with and without MDS engaged and did not switch the pins for these connectors like many have had to. Crutchfield for everything. Also ended up using #10x1" flat Phillips screws for install.
Which metra harnesses did crutchfield include?

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
About the grounds... i too have my ground in the seat bolt but i tested it before opting for that, sanded the bracket and floor down to the bare metal and it had very little resistance, in some vehicles you can use them others not, in my GMC Envoy i had 2 x 1/0 gauge on two of the back seat bolts and i was running close to 10K watts never had a problem, but you need to test the resistance between that point and the battery or alternator case.
How do you test the resistance? Very interested in this.

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
Today i installed the 4 channel amplifier, the new subwoofer amplifier and the DSP i was able to fit all behind the 40 seat wired everything and set the gains and crossovers, tomorrow i'll install the box with the subwoofers, can't wait.
Do you remember the exact dimensions that you were able to use? Height x width?

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the DSR1,I have the PAC module and a Bluetooth 6 channel DSP, I don't feel the need to amplify the back door speakers for now but knowing me I'll end up doing it just not using a 6 channel amp I rather use 2 x 4 channel.
I would rewire everything, the doors are very easy to do i did the front ones about 10 minutes each.
Anyway you are going to lack low frequency response with even the best 6x9, a small sealed 10" subwoofer can do wonders I the sound quality.
5ca9a0fef0e0971a64d01eebd2c14e39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
What was the workable area you had for mounting amps? Width and height? Trying to prefab my board for my truck that is a few weeks out.

U

User_63152

I had a weird thing happen today. My Infinity Reference 6x9 mid bass drivers, that I had installed some time ago, started acting funny. It sounded like they were blown. I am guessing it had something to do with how cold it has been. After it warmed up a bit, they went back to normal. Has anyone ever experienced this? Possibly sticky voice coils? Condensation? It was just the drivers in the front doors.

Jchandler1980

Reaction score
Guess I’ll pull the seat out of my 19 to measure, want everything plug and play in a couple of weeks when my 22 comes in.
20” x 17” is the usable area to mount amps. Went ahead and pulled the 40 seat on my 19. My 22 is the exact configuration.

Jperconte

Reaction score
Update on the new Truck, with the same system.

I replaced all the speakers with Rockford 6x9 punch, and Pioneer 3.5 upfront with 200HZ bass blockers. In addition, I added a new Pac ANC bypass Hardness on the new truck with the same system, Made the installation so much easier. I also replaced the Audio Control LC1 with Dayton Audio DSP. This offer more control of crossover points and per channel EQ. So much better. Since, I upgraded to the 2022 Ram 1500 Quad, I'm on the market to replace the FOXBOX with a new Foxbox quad box, as the old crew box is a little too big.

hope this helps.

Pleff

Reaction score
Finished my stereo upgrade, posted pics of the amp set up in case it helps someone. 2 - 75wx2 (RMS) amps for the doors and a 500w (RMS) monoblock for the subs. Tied-in to the wiring at the ANC amp under driver's seat, used the PAC bypass harness.

Speaker set up:
* Dash - 3.5" Infinity Reference (+ 4 ohm resistor)

* Fr door - 6x9 Infinity Kappa (slight mod to the opening to fit, sounds amazing, would definitely recommend to anyone without a sub, big base improvement over stock, also high db sensitivity so it evens out the brightness of the new dash speakers)

* Rear doors - 6x9 JBL Concert Series (wouldn't recommend, I will eventually swap with Infinity Kappa 6x9s)

* Subs - Infinity Kappa 10"

805myth1

Reaction score
Never got around to post some changes I made to my sound system.

A5F475E9-D58C-4985-9219-61D2399C7481.jpeg
Fabricated a new box for this pair of NVX VCW102, coated in bed liner.

2250BE8B-1044-446C-AB88-994155C462A4.jpeg
Swapped in the D4S JP234 and Sony XM-222 for tweeter, dash and door speakers.

4266C429-E7E9-464F-9A05-8B33860A6D3C.jpeg
Put these CDT Audio 2” in the dash corner locations.

E5E66512-7816-4DE4-ADD2-AD2AF38F8632.jpeg
Removed the fuse for the alternator power wire and rerouted it.

Talliphier

Reaction score
I am stumped...
2020 RAM 1500 Limited eTorque V8
w/ANC and Factory Alpine System

Upgraded:
Infinity Reference 9633 x 4 - 6x9 Installed Front and Rear Doors
Infinity Reference 3032 x 2 - Installed in Dash
Used Metra 72-7902/72-6514 Connectors

Issue:
Major ANC drone with windows closed [thought it was a bad muffler at first] = Ha!], zero drone with windows open... So I bought the recommended Pac ANC-CH01 bypass... Just went to install and while the white clip is fine the black Female [Speakers] does not appear the fit the factory Male that traditionally goes into the Mopar 68441768AA Hub [Attached]. Anyone have this issue/resolve?

Attachments

• Mopar Alpine.jpg
    Mopar Alpine.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 61Pd7ywjs1L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61Pd7ywjs1L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 56
  • vdr5byve.jpg
    vdr5byve.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I am stumped...

Upgraded:

Issue:
Major ANC drone with windows closed [thought it was a bad muffler at first] = Ha!], zero drone with windows open... So I bought the recommended Pac ANC-CH01 bypass... Just went to install and while the white clip is fine the black Female [Speakers] does not appear the fit the factory Male that traditionally goes into the Mopar 68441768AA Hub [Attached]. Anyone have this issue/resolve?
I believe you need the PAC APH-CH01 for the alpine and hk systems.

sppb32

Reaction score
I am stumped...

Upgraded:

Issue:
I don't think they ever did a Harness for the Alpine system, mine didn't work either but for me wasn't a problem as i used aftermarket amplifiers and all new wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread