5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

derichio02

Reaction score
I'm waiting on a response from a PAC rep. Essentially the radios haven't changed their plug style so it's just a matter of firmware compatibility. It works perfectly on my 2020 Alpine 12" so let me see what they say. I'm doing a friend's 2021 as well so this will be helpful to know.
Thanks! Are you referring to AmpPro Sub? Also did you have to have a separate ANC disable mechanism?

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Sooo much info in this thread :)

I want to confirm my setup. I have a 2021 Laramie with the 12" Screen and Alpine 9 Speaker system with Sub and ANC. I ordered the JL Stealthbox and plan to run a JL 600w amp. Planning on Infinity Ref 3032cfx 3-ohm for the Dash running off the factory amp.

Looks like I will need the AmpPro AP4-CH41 but I see on Crutchfield that this does not work with ANC systems?? Do I still need a bypass? I have the bypass from LLJ Customs but unsure if it will work with my Alpine System with Sub. I also read some folks using APH-CH03.

Lastly I looked at the AmpPro Sub mentioned earlier in the thread but according to crutchfield this does not work for the 2021, just the 2019-20. Did something change in 2021?

Any help/confirmation is appreciated
I spoke with Larry Layman at AAMP Global (Parent company) and he confirmed the AP4-CH41R.2 DOES work with the 2021 Rams with premium sound.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Thank you!! Also where did you mount the module? Behind the factory stereo?
Behind the USBs in the center console. There's a little "tray" underneath the USB ports that I was able to mount to. Just mounted the knob and then mounted the data cable to where I could later get to it if I needed to make changes/upgrade firmware.

JP305R

Reaction score
Anyone know how to install the JL Audio c2-690tx 6x9 speakers in the 5th gen front door is anything special required?

U

User_63152

Anyone know how to install the JL Audio c2-690tx 6x9 speakers in the 5th gen front door is anything special required?
On Crutchfield, it states that those speakers DO NOT fit. The JL has a larger mounting height (0.763), major apex diameter (8.642) and minor apex diameter (5.905). You might want to check into something else.

I prefer Infinity Reference, myself. I have the REF-9630cx, wired in a 2-way front stage setup, in the front doors/dash of my RAM.

The REF-9633ix might be just the ticket for you. 94db sensitivity is AWESOME, trust me.

Attachments

• g108R9633IM-F.jpg
    g108R9633IM-F.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:

JP305R

Reaction score
On Crutchfield, it states that those speakers DO NOT fit. The JL has a larger mounting height (0.763), major apex diameter (8.642) and minor apex diameter (5.905). You might want to check into something else.

I prefer Infinity Reference, myself. I have the REF-9630cx, wired in a 2-way front stage setup, in the front doors/dash of my RAM.

The REF-9633ix might be just the ticket for you. 94db sensitivity is AWESOME, trust me.
Sweet you use tweeters in the dash or 3.5? Have you tried both?

U

User_63152

Sweet you use tweeters in the dash or 3.5? Have you tried both?
I use the tweeters (front are Infinity REF-9630cx components). Haven't tried the 3.5''. I have a Kicker Key 200.4 (setup in active 2-way front stage) for the front. The rear doors (Infinity REF-6530cx components) are powered off the factory radio (just for fill). My Sundown SD-4 10 is powered by a Sundown SFB-600D (600 watts @ 1 ohm).

My setup sounds pretty good, as far as I am concerned. Way better than stock, that's for sure. (y)

Attachments

• Dash Adapter with Tweeter.jpeg
    Dash Adapter with Tweeter.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 172
  • FR DR 6x9 MBD.jpg
    FR DR 6x9 MBD.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 167
  • R DR 6.5 Complete.jpg
    R DR 6.5 Complete.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Amp Board with Amps Installed.jpeg
    Amp Board with Amps Installed.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Sub Box Finished c.jpg
    Sub Box Finished c.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Sub Box CO b.JPG
    Sub Box CO b.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:

JP305R

Reaction score
I use the tweeters (front are Infinity REF-9630cx components). Haven't tried the 3.5''. I have a Kicker Key 200.4 (setup in active 2-way front stage) for the front. The rear doors (Infinity REF-6530cx components) are powered off the factory radio (just for fill). My Sundown SD-4 10 is powered by a Sundown SFB-600D (600 watts @ 1 ohm).

My setup sounds pretty good, as far as I am concerned. Way better than stock, that's for sure. (y)
Awesome! We got a similar set up.
I got 2 JL Audio 10w3v3 in a NetAudio dual upfiring box, front 4 speaker kicker key with kicker ksc speakers tweeter in dash snd 6x9 in front back speaker is off factory. I really want to try the c2-690TX in the front snd am willing to use a dremel to make it fit has anyone tried anything like that? Is the quality of the speaker compared to the KSC line worth the hassle???

U

User_63152

Awesome! We got a similar set up.
I got 2 JL Audio 10w3v3 in a NetAudio dual upfiring box, front 4 speaker kicker key with kicker ksc speakers tweeter in dash snd 6x9 in front back speaker is off factory. I really want to try the c2-690TX in the front snd am willing to use a dremel to make it fit has anyone tried anything like that? Is the quality of the speaker compared to the KSC line worth the hassle???
I will state again that I think the Infinity Reference line is one of the best speaker series for the money. I have no experience with the JL line. I have used Kicker speakers before, in my Jeep Liberty. They are pretty decent. But, again, I would take Infinity over any of them.

I would think you could get the JL 6x9 to fit. But, if it were me, I would take it to a reputable installer. Good luck. (y)

I am lucky enough to have a good friend who owns a custom audio place. :ROFLMAO:

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I couldn't pass up the price ($79 a pair) at one of the shops in town so I bought and installed RockFord Fosgate P1692s in the doors. Big improvement over stock, it's just so much clearer. Haven't gotten around to the dash speakers though :cautious:

Conch007

Reaction score
Love these. Any chance you have a pic of the subwoofer itself? This gives a vague idea of the size/shape but I'd love to see the whole thing.
Might even keep me from removing my seats to see it when mine arrives.
I bought the factory sub for mine dealer sent me to some high end audio place to install it. Guess they were trying to get my warrenty voided but ram good willed the speaker for issues I was having with local service departments and my Maroni sticker and build sheet not matching. so they are honoring my warrenty. Make sure you buy the bolts to mount it as the riv nuts are there but not the bolts. The installing shop even cut around the speaker opening on the skirt that covers the back wall for better sound delivery.

JP305R

Reaction score
I was told numerous times by crutchfield that JL C2-650X and JLC2-350x won’t fit the front doors and dash corners I can confirm they do with plenty of clearance. Just need a 1/4 MDF spacer for doors. For the dash speakers the mounting tabs need to be slightly trimmed around the metal edges where the screws go in tin snips work great here. If anyone is looking at getting these speakers feel free to ask and I can go into more details mods took me about 35min for all 4 speakers.
EA80F6A7-34C5-462E-B3A0-8B3174734132.jpeg

JP305R

Reaction score

Heads up I was able to get the JL c2-650x and c2-350x to fit easily in both the dash and doors. Also I can confirm when paired with the kicker key 3.5 in the dash sound 10x better then tweeters in the dash.

Attachments

• 830E5BB7-8B05-4CA3-B4F9-A85FA81C4F78.jpeg
    830E5BB7-8B05-4CA3-B4F9-A85FA81C4F78.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 61

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told numerous times by crutchfield that JL C2-650X and JLC2-350x won’t fit the front doors and dash corners I can confirm they do with plenty of clearance. Just need a 1/4 MDF spacer for doors.
So you’re saying Crutchfield is right. They don’t fit in the doors but there’s room if you buy the spacer too.

Not to be a jerk but “fit” would be a direct replacement item without any modification/accessories to accommodate.

JP305R

Reaction score
So you’re saying Crutchfield is right. They don’t fit in the doors but there’s room if you buy the spacer too.

Not to be a jerk but “fit” would be a direct replacement item without any modification/accessories to accommodate.
Well you can make it fit very easily. Just need 1/4inch mdf for the doors. And the 3.5 for the dash a small cut on the screw tabs with tin snips or Klein’s

U

User_63152

I think it's possible to make any speakers fit, if you're willing to modify here and there. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread