5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are tapping the speaker wires on the input of the ANC you will not need to do anything further with ANC, I will be disconned. At this point you want you load resistors on each ch. into your DSP. I highly recommend going into a DSP before feeding Amps. Otherwise you wont be cleaning and flatting your levels and you'll end up very unhappy.

That’s helpful. So just to confirm. If I wanted to do everything at the anc I could:
- disconnect the anc and completely remove it. Toss it in the garage.
- grab the wires from the white harness and either put on resistors OR buy a harness like yours with resistors
- connect that thru a dsp lilenthe fix 86
- fix86 to the amp
- amp to the speaker harness from the old anc (small gray harness)
- no need to do anything with any of the canbus wires? You still have all radio/eq/Bluetooth/ handsfree functionality?

Reaper_6A

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a new 19 Laramie Limited and love it! It has the Alpine stereo that I am in the process of upgrading thanks to these posts. It is all great information.
So far I have upgraded the front dash and door speaker with JL C2-350s and C2-690tx and am very happy with them. I've always been a JL fan.

I would like to upgrade the subwoofer with the JL 10TW3-D4 but am not sure if will fit.
  • does anyone know the stock enclosure's depth?
  • does anyone know the watts per channel going to the factory sub?
  • does anyone know the ohm of factory sub?
  • I know it is 3 channels, would i be able to just use 2 of them on the new JL sub?
    • any issue other than not enough power going to it?
Thanks, I appreciate all help and suggestions

I just installed 2 JL 10TW3D8’s under the rear seat and you can’t even see them. Box fit perfectly and I’m gonna be running a JL1000XD/5v2 to them and two sets of Focal K2. If you want the dimensions let me know.

kirkelli

Reaction score
That’s helpful. So just to confirm. If I wanted to do everything at the anc I could:
- disconnect the anc and completely remove it. Toss it in the garage.
- grab the wires from the white harness and either put on resistors OR buy a harness like yours with resistors
- connect that thru a dsp lilenthe fix 86
- fix86 to the amp
- amp to the speaker harness from the old anc (small gray harness)
- no need to do anything with any of the canbus wires? You still have all radio/eq/Bluetooth/ handsfree functionality?
The harness i used connects between the radio and factory harness. It's basically a pigtail with only speaker wires peeled out. This harness will not work connected at the ANC.. If i were doing it,, i would use the harness at the radio and call it a day.. The ANC will be disconnected.. The load resisters are connected to the harness before a DSP or Amp. The only thing you are doing is redirecting you radio audio outputs so nothing in the CANbus will be effected.. You still have bluetooth, handsfree etc but minus the noise cancel gimich...... I have the diesel so no ANC for me..

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The harness i used connects between the radio and factory harness. It's basically a pigtail with only speaker wires peeled out. This harness will not work connected at the ANC.. If i were doing it,, i would use the harness at the radio and call it a day.. The ANC will be disconnected.. The load resisters are connected to the harness before a DSP or Amp. The only thing you are doing is redirecting you radio audio outputs so nothing in the CANbus will be effected.. You still have bluetooth, handsfree etc but minus the noise cancel gimich...... I have the diesel so no ANC for me..

Makes sense. Thanks.

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Well, the kicker 6x9’s were an utter failure. So I’m back to stock door speakers now while I’m going to re-inject the kickers back into Amazon sounded decent for a couple days then two of them we’re going bad so sad I wasn’t risking it remove them packed them back up and they go back tomorrow to be honest for my taste the stockers don’t sound that bad plus I saved 130 some dollars in the process I did however leave the little scar 3.5 speakers I got from Amazon for $29 in the dash with a square of close cell foam over the tweeters to take the tin out to me my stereo sounds pretty decent .

Atvdinner

Reaction score
I seem to have run into some more issues. I decided to go with the lci2 to feed to an amp then to my sub. I can't seem to get the lc2i to turn on. I have speaker wires connected and power and ground. I tapped into all of these at the anc. What am I doing wrong, or is this just a connection error?

I thought maybe the gto wasn't working. I jumped the power from the 12v to the remote to see maybe if it would work. I took the jumper from gto active to disable so I could run a regular remote. The power still didn't turn it on, im lead to believe the power wire isn't connected properly or the red wire I'm tapped into at the anc isn't 12v like I thought. Any thoughts?

RichInMN

Reaction score
I seem to have run into some more issues. I decided to go with the lci2 to feed to an amp then to my sub. I can't seem to get the lc2i to turn on. I have speaker wires connected and power and ground. I tapped into all of these at the anc. What am I doing wrong, or is this just a connection error?

I thought maybe the gto wasn't working. I jumped the power from the 12v to the remote to see maybe if it would work. I took the jumper from gto active to disable so I could run a regular remote. The power still didn't turn it on, im lead to believe the power wire isn't connected properly or the red wire I'm tapped into at the anc isn't 12v like I thought. Any thoughts?
Recommend a digital multimeter, you will save yourself a lot of guesswork with both the power and the speaker connections, for $10-15 from your local big box store.

Additionally, you can double check fuses with one - on occasion a fuse can blow in a way that is not visually evident. Good luck!

Atvdinner

Reaction score
Recommend a digital multimeter, you will save yourself a lot of guesswork with both the power and the speaker connections, for $10-15 from your local big box store.

Additionally, you can double check fuses with one - on occasion a fuse can blow in a way that is not visually evident. Good luck!

You're right, I have said in many occasions I should go get one. I will do just that. I was hoping someone might also have some insight as to if I was in the right direction of things. Thus, the journey continues!

Jinx1009

Reaction score
Alright guys... I’m new. Found this forum and it was super helpful.. went to go look under my seat and become instantly confused lmao. I was under the impression if you had a hemi— you had ANC. It’s looking like that may not be true? I’m going to attach some photos— but it looks like all I have is the factory amp?! If that’s the case I can simply bypass the factory amp and use my own correct?

Attachments

• D6953152-6CA8-4E7F-AB56-A57E8D93120A.jpeg
    D6953152-6CA8-4E7F-AB56-A57E8D93120A.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 7B74B136-329D-4FD1-99EE-60B529878C84.jpeg
    7B74B136-329D-4FD1-99EE-60B529878C84.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 7E5C00F5-402E-4068-A4BA-84B5B7CD5182.jpeg
    7E5C00F5-402E-4068-A4BA-84B5B7CD5182.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 6BF2631A-4110-452B-917A-097652306C64.jpeg
    6BF2631A-4110-452B-917A-097652306C64.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 91152F38-7604-4992-8297-1AE63DAAE422.jpeg
    91152F38-7604-4992-8297-1AE63DAAE422.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 7EAFF0C1-B195-4A77-AB85-C7C42DDD5239.jpeg
    7EAFF0C1-B195-4A77-AB85-C7C42DDD5239.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 218

Atvdinner

Reaction score
Alright guys... I’m new. Found this forum and it was super helpful.. went to go look under my seat and become instantly confused lmao. I was under the impression if you had a hemi— you had ANC. It’s looking like that may not be true? I’m going to attach some photos— but it looks like all I have is the factory amp?! If that’s the case I can simply bypass the factory amp and use my own correct?

That silver box you're looking at, that's your anc. To the untrained eye it does kinda look like an amp. Nice truck BTW.

Jinx1009

Reaction score
That silver box you're looking at, that's your anc. To the untrained eye it does kinda look like an amp. Nice truck BTW.
Thank you very much for answering — I was going back and forth with LLJcustoms and they told me it’s not an ANC—so I got confused and was going to do it myself prior to LLJ giving me conflicting info. And my local shop won’t even touch it :/ — looks like I have a waiting game.

Adriancp

Reaction score
To all that have added amplifiers- where/what route are you running your power wire? I have heard there aren't any channels to run 1/0 under the carpet without creating a hump. Believe I read some have ran the wire under the truck?

Reactions: mch

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone just added a powered sub to a base 6 speaker system? I asked in another thread but got no help. I’d like to just tap in somewhere for speaker level inputs and a tap for the remote turn on wire.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
To all that have added amplifiers- where/what route are you running your power wire? I have heard there aren't any channels to run 1/0 under the carpet without creating a hump. Believe I read some have ran the wire under the truck?
i ran mine under the truck. if you dont have the etorque there is a plastic grommet in the floor behind the backseat.

Car Ramrod

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
Been reading through this thread (lots to absorb). I currently have the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Body Crew Cab w/8.4 screen with I think the 6 speaker set. I'm trying to get an easy (ha, I know) fix for a more balanced sound and always used Kicker in the past but based on fitting issues might go JBL.

This is my plan, does anybody see any issues or tips on what I might change out? I'm trying to find the easiest replacement without having to alter/shave anything. I know that's getting harder and harder to do with these new cars/trucks.

4x Kicker 6" x 9"s in the doors (Model 44KSC69304) 4 ohms - hoping these slide right in without any interference with windows, etc.
2x Kicker 3.5"s up front (Model 44KSC3504) 4 ohms - I know some of the others had issues with sizing other models in this slot - anybody use these and have any issues?
1x Kicker Hideaway 8" Sub w/amp (Model 11HS8) - this seems to be the easiest fix to get some quality lows without taking up a ton of space.

OR

4x JBL 6" x 9"s in the doors (Model: GX9638) 2.3 ohms
2x JBL 3.5"s up front (Model: GX328) 2.3 ohms
1x Kicker Hideaway 8" Sub w/amp (Model 11HS8) - this seems to be the easiest fix to get some quality lows without taking up a ton of space.

I'm sure I'll have to balance it all out once in but I'm hoping that I can get all these in without adding an amp or having to deal with the ANC (especially since I already replaced my exhaust).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Atvdinner

Reaction score
Call them he will let you know what will fit your quad cab. The owner will answer the phone.
blast from the past, did we get an answer as too if they make a box for the quad. i haven't found one yet. thanks!

kirkelli

Reaction score
Under driver side door kick panels.. also lots of room in center hump void space between front under dash and back seat. the center would be the easist

KidCutti

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a new 19 Laramie Limited and love it! It has the Alpine stereo that I am in the process of upgrading thanks to these posts. It is all great information.
So far I have upgraded the front dash and door speaker with JL C2-350s and C2-690tx and am very happy with them. I've always been a JL fan.

I would like to upgrade the subwoofer with the JL 10TW3-D4 but am not sure if will fit.
  • does anyone know the stock enclosure's depth?
  • does anyone know the watts per channel going to the factory sub?
  • does anyone know the ohm of factory sub?
  • I know it is 3 channels, would i be able to just use 2 of them on the new JL sub?
    • any issue other than not enough power going to it?
Thanks, I appreciate all help and suggestions
Just get a custom down firing box built with 2 JL 10TW3-D4’s and enjoy the new option of massaging chairs for *** passengers..this upgrade is incredible if you like deep lows in your music.

Attachments

• 08EBF3A6-750C-464B-921F-254D49FAC9F4.jpeg
    08EBF3A6-750C-464B-921F-254D49FAC9F4.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 238
  • BE4A6E87-7C9F-4CC4-9687-4A7998B757A9.jpeg
    BE4A6E87-7C9F-4CC4-9687-4A7998B757A9.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 232

tuner1129

Reaction score
Just get a custom down firing box built with 2 JL 10TW3-D4’s and enjoy the new option of massaging chairs for *** passengers..this upgrade is incredible if you like deep lows in your music.
Can you share where you bought this majestic box? Just I am looking for

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Atvdinner

Reaction score
I'd also like to know where you got it and if it would work in a quad.

Users who are viewing this thread