5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

WRH

Reaction score
I just picked up a 5.7 4x4 Quad Cab Bighorn. Although I love the truck, I wanted the 9 speaker system but there wasn't an option for it. I drove straight from the dealer to Car Toys and got their input, but wasn't confident enough in their suggestions. I think I'll do this myself.

As I've been poking around trying to decide the best way to upgrade, I've found a few things.

First, there is an amp looking device under the drivers seat. I'm not sure what this is... does anyone know? Car toys thought this was an amp, but I'm guessing my feeds are coming from the deck rather than an amp. I'm thinking this is not related to the stereo. (Pic attached.) That would rule out an amp under the drivers seat.

I could do an amp or small sub under passenger seat, but that is where the tools are located. That could be an option once IN get my canopy and some storage to move the tools...

I don't want to install under the back seats. Not really room, and I use that for storage. I don't need a big sub anyways. That leaves the small area behind the back seats. Once I pick up an eTorx to remove them, I'll see what room is back there. Incidentally, I don't think the Fold the Back Seat mod will work because I'm not seeing the back seats move at all when I lift or drop the seat.

I do notice an open harness near the floor, about in the middle of the seats. I wonder if that is the wiring for a sub that I don't have? Does anyone have any ideas what this open harness might be. Is this where the sub is located on the 9 speaker systems? Man, that'd be nice if I could somehow buy that sub and pop it in...

Any tips or suggestions would be soooo appreciated. There is really very little information on the stereos in this new 2019s. I'm guessing that for the actual speaker layout, not much has changed.... but not sure. I def need more sound though! I could live without a sub, and go 6x9s and an amp, but hope I can find a way to get a small sub somewhere in there. I had a shallow mount 10" behind the back seats in my Tacoma that worked great.

Thanks!
-Warren

Attachments

• 20180709_165312788_iOS.jpg
    20180709_165312788_iOS.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 3,540
  • 20180712_002327160_iOS.jpg
    20180712_002327160_iOS.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 3,456

nerdrock

Reaction score
I know little to nothing, but consider this. There is an amp, and it's integral to the noise cancellation system in the truck. Mine was making weird humming sounds and turns out there's a bulletin for that issue, which the solution is replacing the amp.

Reactions: WRH

WRH

Reaction score
Does the noise cancellation use the car stereo speakers, or does it use something else? I noticed several small things in the ceiling that I wondered of were related to the noise cancellation.

Attachments

• 20180713_224428763_iOS.jpg
    20180713_224428763_iOS.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 1,334

WRH

Reaction score
yeah, that could be. They are all over the ceiling though (those aren't the only 2)....

rvsixer

Reaction score
Yep sure enough, you need to order the 5.7 e-torque to get the 9-speaker with subwoofer. Looks like the sub needs the extra amps LOL.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes those are for phone/hand free/voice recognition for radio and nav(if you have it)

Reactions: WRH

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The first photo you posted is of an amplifier. The service manual states:

The ANC [Active Noise Cancellation] module is incorporated in the amplifier if equipped, however for 5.7L engine equipped vehicles without an amplifier there is a standalone ANC module (1).

1531539080091.png

That language could leave you to believe that a standalone ANC module is different than the one that comes with a premium sound system. But later in the same section:

In addition to performing active noise cancellation, the ANC module supplies power to the loudspeakers.

So the standalone ANC module also powers the speakers...just like the amplifier does for the upgraded systems.

Taking a look at the amps listed for the premium sound systems:

1531538212425.png

Those look the same to me. Granted the software internal to the module could be different, but that seems like a lot of work to go through when you could use the same part for both since a standalone ANC module, or one included in the Premium I System are both responsible for ANC processing and powering of speakers.

ETA for future readers:

Found this in the service manual. So ignore the comment above questioning different software for standalone uses.
Different types of ANC software are used depending on vehicle audio options.

There are 4 microphones in the cabin that feed to the ANC module. Your photo shows one of them.

The photo of the plug does look like it could be for the subwoofer if it closer to the passenger side of the vehicle:

1531540129281.png

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited:

WRH

Reaction score
WOW, that helps a ton!! Thanks so much :)

Does it show wiring for the speakers by any chance? And/or schematics for the outputs from the factory deck? Mainly I'd like to know if there are pre-amp outputs to that amp. And if so, is it for each channel seperately (front/rear and left/right).

This is excellent, thanks again. Boy, I'd love to spend an evening with the Service Manual. lol.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have a factory sub or eTorque, then you should still have the sheetmetal cutouts in the rear of the cab where they would go. That would mean you could remove the seat backs and then rear wall carpet to access them. @SpeedyV posted a pic of the battery "suitcase" here and you can see where the bolts hold it in. It goes in the rear drivers side and the sub is on the rear wall passenger side as @I Love Grits posted above. That's a lot of unused room for subs and amps. Wouldn't be surprised if an aftermarket sub enclosure was produced to fit right there. Heck, you might even be able to get the Mopar sub enclosure and roll your own.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first photo you posted is of an amplifier. The service manual states:

View attachment 1375

That language could leave you to believe that a standalone ANC module is different than the one that comes with a premium sound system. But later in the same section:

So the standalone ANC module also powers the speakers...just like the amplifier does for the upgraded systems.

Taking a look at the amps listed for the premium sound systems:

View attachment 1373

Those look the same to me. Granted the software internal to the module could be different, but that seems like a lot of work to go through when you could use the same part for both since a standalone ANC module, or one included in the Premium I System are both responsible for ANC processing and powering of speakers.

There are 4 microphones in the cabin that feed to the ANC module. Your photo shows one of them.

The photo of the plug does look like it could be for the subwoofer if it closer to the passenger side of the vehicle:

View attachment 1377

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.
Love these. Any chance you have a pic of the subwoofer itself? This gives a vague idea of the size/shape but I'd love to see the whole thing.
Might even keep me from removing my seats to see it when mine arrives.

WRH

Reaction score
I removed the seats to take a look at the back, and here is what we have. Not much there, but enough room for an amp and a ultra thin sub.

From what I can tell, it looks like the folding seat mod would work too for the passenger side. Although they have reinforced the clamp with steel (I think it was just plastic before...?).

I'll have to do some more measuring to decide what I'll stick back there. But this is a start at least.

Still am not sure what the free harness connector is near the middle... anyone know what that device mounted on the right is. in the schematic (that I don't have on my truck)?

Anyone want any more pics or info before I put the seats back together?

Attachments

• 20180715_182316729_iOS.jpg
    20180715_182316729_iOS.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 4,068
  • 20180715_182326436_iOS.jpg
    20180715_182326436_iOS.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 3,930
  • 20180715_182319829_iOS.jpg
    20180715_182319829_iOS.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 3,802
  • 20180715_182541871_iOS.jpg
    20180715_182541871_iOS.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 3,790
  • 20180715_184240869_iOS.jpg
    20180715_184240869_iOS.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 3,741

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for taking these. I was expecting more room there but you should have at least whatever the depth is from the back wall to the rear carpet you removed. If you didn't put it back, or cutout what you needed, you'd then have all the way to the seatback if it adds any.

A loaded truck would have the sub on the passenger side and the eTorque battery on the drivers side. Maybe that's the plug you see? I would have thought the wiring would be different for eTorque but one harness for all makes things easy on supply chain. That also potentially opens up the possibility of adding eTorque later...

I'm also wondering for an amp if you couldn't rig up a fan that then exits out one of the cab vents like they say the eTorque battery fan does. That might allow you to put the amp completely beneath the rear carpet.

WRH

Reaction score
Ah yeah, I like your venting idea! And yes, interesting thought about eTorque!

So another possible Stereo upgrade issue is the engine silencing. I wonder how calibrated to the speakers and amp that system is. A new amp and different speakers will change things...

I need a schematic showing the speaker and deck circuitry.

WRH

Reaction score
I found the product I will use to being the upgrade process. This allows you to keep the factory deck, but adds a ton of advanced features we wouldn't have otherwise (like timing). This also explains why upgrading modern systems is so complicated.

For the 2019 Dodge Ram (which is supported... many vendors don't know this yet but I spoke with Maestro directly), we need the ACH4 Harness.

WRH

Reaction score
And for those interested in the base level door speaker...

They look sealed off nice, unlike my Tacoma, so I don't think I'll have to manually seal the doors. That's good news. I'll prob run new speaker wire.

I'll replace the stock amp with the DSR1. I thought sound imaging was going to take a hit. It would have had I tried to take the signal from the factory amp. That DSR1 will give me timing and several bonus options...which is freakin awesome. And I'm pretty sure I can also mount my Alpine PD7 and the DSR1 under the drivers seat, which will be easy.

I'm pretty sure two I can get a thin mount 10 inch behind the driver rear seat since I don't have the torque battery back there. It's tight, but pioneer makes a box that not only affordable, but I think it's gonna fit. Have it ordered and looking forward to testing it.

In all, I was discouraged about my options. The DSR1 was a big breakthrough. And the bonus is I can use most of the gear I'd installed and then removed from my Tacoma.

Here's some shots of the doors, factory wires, and factory speaker. Looks like standard speaker adapter mounts will work fine. Since I have 6.5's, I'll go that route.

Attachments

• 20180718_001007992_iOS.jpg
    20180718_001007992_iOS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,060
  • 20180718_001052343_iOS-001.jpg
    20180718_001052343_iOS-001.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 2,048
  • 20180718_000819156_iOS-001.jpg
    20180718_000819156_iOS-001.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 2,143

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
And for those interested in the base level door speaker...

They look sealed off nice, unlike my Tacoma, so I don't think I'll have to manually seal the doors. That's good news. I'll prob run new speaker wire.

I'll replace the stock amp with the DSR1. I thought sound imaging was going to take a hit. It would have had I tried to take the signal from the factory amp. That DSR1 will give me timing and several bonus options...which is freakin awesome. And I'm pretty sure I can also mount my Alpine PD7 and the DSR1 under the drivers seat, which will be easy.

I'm pretty sure two I can get a thin mount 10 inch behind the driver rear seat since I don't have the torque battery back there. It's tight, but pioneer makes a box that not only affordable, but I think it's gonna fit. Have it ordered and looking forward to testing it.

In all, I was discouraged about my options. The DSR1 was a big breakthrough. And the bonus is I can use most of the gear I'd installed and then removed from my Tacoma.

Here's some shots of the doors, factory wires, and factory speaker. Looks like standard speaker adapter mounts will work fine. Since I have 6.5's, I'll go that route.

Keep us updated how that goes, sounds like it should be a nice project.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love these. Any chance you have a pic of the subwoofer itself? This gives a vague idea of the size/shape but I'd love to see the whole thing.
Might even keep me from removing my seats to see it when mine arrives.

This is the best I can do as of now:

1531949497542.png

Users who are viewing this thread