5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
My build sheet just says "conventional differential rear axle" so just to confirm this mean that I DO NOT need the friction additive when I change the diff fluid correct? Thanks again for all the help as this is all new to me, I really appreciate it!

FATKID

Reaction score
What are the torque specs for the plugs?
How much 75/110 gear oil is required to fill the diff? (You had two bags out to start the video but couldn’t tell)
Recommend driving the vehicle to warm up the oil prior to changing out?

Thanks for the video - looks straight forward and will be doing this before colder weather sets in Up North.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Front is 2.3 pints, rear is 5.7 pints.
Or 1.15 quart and 2.85 quarts, respectively.

These quantities are the same, regardless of which gears/oil weight you have.

EDIT: Forgot to give credit to the source, Amsoil. I've seen it elsewhere as well, but fastest way to find it was Amsoil's site.

Last edited:

FATKID

Reaction score
Thanks for your help @UnloosedChewtoy and my apologies to the OP who clearly called out on the video that 3 quarts are required for the rear diff fluid change. I couldn't find the Amsoil Bags so I went with Mobil1. Rear diff fluid level was definitely low as there was no drip once fill plug was opened. Probably just imagining this but I swear the drivetrain is quieter now...

Knocked this out in 15-20 min - very simple process thanks to the contributions here.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
my build sheet just states 3.92 rear gear, nothing about limited slip. Still need the additive or is the 3.92 the limited slip?!?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
nevermind, I can't read y'all lol. I must of skimmed over the "conventional rear axle" :ROFLMAO:

When in doubt, add the additive. It has absolutely no effect on non-slip differentials, but will make a night and day difference in limited slips. ;)

bcwood64

Reaction score
Not to bring up a old topic. I have a elocking 392 rear. If I’m reading the chart correctly that doesn’t get the friction additive? Is that correct?

Chris3058

Reaction score
Limited slip needs it. You can always add it if unsure as it has no effect on a non LSD but required for a LSD. Someone up above mentioned it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to bring up a old topic. I have a elocking 392 rear. If I’m reading the chart correctly that doesn’t get the friction additive? Is that correct?
You are correct. The e-locner does not require the friction modifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/