5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could someone post a picture of the bracket that is installed to hold the winch? On and off the truck? Maybe even picture of the winch bolted up but before the bumper goes back on.
Thanks.
there is an install video on the Vice website as well detailed pics on the posted install instructions?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Prep work done Purolator says delivery tomorrow. Mounted controller high next to fuse box. Lines to winch extended lines to battery shortened lol.

Nicely done! I'm thinking relocating the controller too. Maybe to inside the cab.....? :unsure:

Let me know if you have any questions. You will also get a copy of the instructions in the box. The only update I saw was that the printed copy has higher TQ specs when compared to the online version of the instructions. I went with the hard copy and it's higher TQ specs for the mount (85 lb vs 65 lb). But I referenced some of the online instruction pics because they were easier to see on my phone Vs. the printed copy.

Went out on some trails today in my local national forest to scout some out of the way camping sites. Winch provides a big safety net when you're alone out in the middle of no where. Did not see a single vehicle the 6 hours I was out there.

cra1g

Reaction score
Prep work done Purolator says delivery tomorrow. Mounted controller high next to fuse box. Lines to winch extended lines to battery shortened lol.

Great timing! I was just in the process of putting together an Amazon order for the parts to build another remote-mounted control box like I did in my Jeep. Since there's plenty of room under the hood of the Ram, just changing the wires and moving the stock control box like you're doing is SO much simpler. Probably about the same cost either way, but this saves a ton of time, and doesn't introduce new failure points.

RichT

Reaction score
Any video's anyone puts together would be greatly appreciated. I'll be flying relatively solo on my install with little experience. Looks fairly straight forward though. Not sure if I will move my control box or not (warn plat 12s) and wondering how hard it is to access if left in place.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Any video's anyone puts together would be greatly appreciated. I'll be flying relatively solo on my install with little experience. Looks fairly straight forward though. Not sure if I will move my control box or not (warn plat 12s) and wondering how hard it is to access if left in place.

I left my Smitty box on the winch since it's waterproof. I've accessed it a few times now with no issue. The problem would be if your truck is stuck in a way that you can't access it from under the front of the truck. With the Smitty having a wireless controller it's less of an issue though.

R

Rob5589

Nicely done! I'm thinking relocating the controller too. Maybe to inside the cab.....? :unsure:

Let me know if you have any questions. You will also get a copy of the instructions in the box. The only update I saw was that the printed copy has higher TQ specs when compared to the online version of the instructions. I went with the hard copy and it's higher TQ specs for the mount (85 lb vs 65 lb). But I referenced some of the online instruction pics because they were easier to see on my phone Vs. the printed copy.

Went out on some trails today in my local national forest to scout some out of the way camping sites. Winch provides a big safety net when you're alone out in the middle of no where. Did not see a single vehicle the 6 hours I was out there.
Inside controls are easily doable. There is a company that makes some nice ones (sry, cannot recall the name atm) or you can diy. Thought about doing my Jeep that way but the winch was so accessible, it wasn't really necessary.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok working on my plan to re use the factory plastic mesh grill is looking like it’s not going to happen firstly it’s ridiculously difficult to remove. A tip is to wedge out the silver bolts after you have taken the nut off and removed the push pins on the bottom. This allows for the grill to be pulled out through the front of the bumper.
The grill itself is very recessed and I do not believe there is a way to re use it as looking at the panel vice provides is more flush to the front of the bumper to allow for the fair lead mount.
also things like closed shackles would need to suck into the recessed factory grill face which my factor 55 barely does and a Smitty built shackle which is larger definitely would not fit up against the fairlead mounted against the factory mesh.
Just waiting on truck with mount but it’s looking like panel from Vice will be way to go with this install.

67FEE865-6F5B-442F-BEBE-E517F536E344.jpeg 2E3B4CA6-B56A-49A4-87C6-4DBB19497FF6.jpeg 370D7D83-6C7C-4D58-A59C-C28FB7981144.jpeg C9988A0E-FA77-4B53-BD41-58B3A19A1F98.jpeg

cra1g

Reaction score
Ok working on my plan to re use the factory plastic mesh grill is looking like it’s not going to happen firstly it’s ridiculously difficult to remove. A tip is to wedge out the silver bolts after you have taken the nut off and removed the push pins on the bottom. This allows for the grill to be pulled out through the front of the bumper.
The grill itself is very recessed and I do not believe there is a way to re use it as looking at the panel vice provides is more flush to the front of the bumper to allow for the fair lead mount.
also things like closed shackles would need to suck into the recessed factory grill face which my factor 55 barely does and a Smitty built shackle which is larger definitely would not fit up against the fairlead mounted against the factory mesh.
Just waiting on truck with mount but it’s looking like panel from Vice will be way to go with this install.

I'm thinking about this, too. I'm wondering if you could just completely cut out a section in the center where it interferes with the fairlead/mount, and leave the outer sections (with sensor mounts) in place to fill the gap?

Alternatively, I wonder how feasible it would be to take a picture of part of the original grill, and have it printed on vinyl to wrap the Vice panel? :p

Last edited:

cra1g

Reaction score
Just standard lug end battery cables pre made 48” 4 gauge.

I ordered these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SHTY3H--2 pairs of 6', and a single 2'. The factory lugs are stamped with "25 mm2", which puts them slightly smaller than 3-gauge, so picked 2-gauge, and decided to replace all the original cables (not necessary, but it'll bother me if they don't match :)). Sounds like 6' might be longer than needed--I just picked that because it's the same length as the two long cables that came with the winch.

cra1g

Reaction score
I left my Smitty box on the winch since it's waterproof. I've accessed it a few times now with no issue. The problem would be if your truck is stuck in a way that you can't access it from under the front of the truck. With the Smitty having a wireless controller it's less of an issue though.

Just a word of caution--I've seen reports of the Smitty wireless functionality misbehaving, like picking up stray signals and deciding to spool in or out unexpectedly. From what I can find online, this was supposedly "fixed", but I don't know if the fix was something inherent to the wireless module, or just the addition of the on/off switch for the wireless that wasn't present on earlier examples. I can live with it, but I wouldn't leave wireless enabled when I'm not using it, which means I still need to reach the control box to flip it on.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Just a word of caution--I've seen reports of the Smitty wireless functionality misbehaving, like picking up stray signals and deciding to spool in or out unexpectedly. From what I can find online, this was supposedly "fixed", but I don't know if the fix was something inherent to the wireless module, or just the addition of the on/off switch for the wireless that wasn't present on earlier examples. I can live with it, but I wouldn't leave wireless enabled when I'm not using it, which means I still need to reach the control box to flip it on.

The "fix" is to turn off the wireless switch. Smitty states multiple times to make sure have it "off" until you are actually winching. Flipping the switch is easier than attaching the cable.

I do wonder if the wireless module is paired with the controller. It would be seriously bad if the controller is universal.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SHTY3H--2 pairs of 6', and a single 2'. The factory lugs are stamped with "25 mm2", which puts them slightly smaller than 3-gauge, so picked 2-gauge, and decided to replace all the original cables (not necessary, but it'll bother me if they don't match :)). Sounds like 6' might be longer than needed--I just picked that because it's the same length as the two long cables that came with the winch.
The 48” have about a foot of slack from were I mounted the control box for reference.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install done everything working as should. Not one modification needed to install this kit very good job by Vice I don’t think it could be fabricated better. The clutch relocation works flawlessly I would of liked a more robust front cover I feel how it mounts with the small mounting tabs will rust or weaken over time. kinda hard to figure after the complete crap show Ram used mounting the factory mesh grill, complete joke.
100 percent happy with the prompt delivery.
I would say taking my time did it the way I wanted I’m picky was a total of 10 hrs complete install including sucking in the line.
F81C3573-40D8-4520-8D4A-BC48BD6AD91B.jpeg F573AD5C-7509-4C29-AE08-D76E30DCA014.jpeg 6470F127-3A11-4D9B-B9AE-F08144C66DE3.jpeg CA702351-22EB-4EF4-A5BB-56CD4E06974A.jpeg D88139B2-A7DD-4E7E-806C-A1AA07470064.jpeg 8852917A-8CF7-4961-8FEB-04E25A423E53.jpeg

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Install done everything working as should. Not one modification needed to install this kit very good job by Vice I don’t think it could be fabricated better. The clutch relocation works flawlessly I would of liked a more robust front cover I feel how it mounts with the small mounting tabs will rust or weaken over time. kinda hard to figure after the complete crap show Ram used mounting the factory mesh grill, complete joke.
100 percent happy with the prompt delivery.
I would say taking my time did it the way I wanted I’m picky was a total of 10 hrs complete install including sucking in the line.

Nicely done! Welcome to the club!

Users who are viewing this thread