5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

Luniac21

Reaction score
Jscan does work on the 2019+ Rams, but I believe in a recent update the setting for the display screen doesn’t work anymore. I suggest using AlfaOBD to enable the cabin Net DCSD Display screen module.
You can get the auto climate to work by swapping out your current sun sensor, and adding the cabin temp sensor and a custom harness.
So I’m pretty disappointed, usps said my package was delivered to my front porch, but my Google nest cam didn’t pick up anyone delivering anything, check the video history, no video of anyone delivering anything so now I’m gonna have to file a claim to usps

Luniac21

Reaction score
So just some background on what kind of truck I have. I have a base model tradesman with the upgraded seat package. Nothing fancy. I already replaced the original steering wheel with one out of a rebal. That was a direct swap and all the buttons work. The only thing I havent tried is the heat function. So i received the 8.4 yesterday and completed the installation. Everything was plug and play. The only thing that wasnt plug and play is the temperature controls. My tradesman doesnt have dual climate and the one I bought did. So I used my original cluster with the screen until my new one comes in. So besides that everything works. Just make sure if your buying one second hand that you get the VIN number from the truck it came off originally. You will need that along with the serial number on the Navi to get the anitheft code from the dealership. I'll post pics once my new temp cluster comes in. Hope this helps some others!
So I went with 8.4 with Navi, , you mentioned plug and play you didn’t have to reprogram anything everything worked?

Luniac21

Reaction score
Jscan does work on the 2019+ Rams, but I believe in a recent update the setting for the display screen doesn’t work anymore. I suggest using AlfaOBD to enable the cabin Net DCSD Display screen module.
You can get the auto climate to work by swapping out your current sun sensor, and adding the cabin temp sensor and a custom harness.
I was able to resolve the issue with USPS, got the package, apparently someone had the same number for their house but what I don’t get is how can they get confused with different street names? Anyways I tried to install the 8.4 with Navi and tried to use Alpha OBD and no luck, the screen didn’t even come on, but my fan stayed on every time I turned the ignition to on, I must be doing something wrong, help, lol

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to resolve the issue with USPS, got the package, apparently someone had the same number for their house but what I don’t get is how can they get confused with different street names? Anyways I tried to install the 8.4 with Navi and tried to use Alpha OBD and no luck, the screen didn’t even come on, but my fan stayed on every time I turned the ignition to on, I must be doing something wrong, help, lol
What’s the name of the setting you changed in alfaOBD?

Buher

Reaction score
So just some background on what kind of truck I have. I have a base model tradesman with the upgraded seat package. Nothing fancy. I already replaced the original steering wheel with one out of a rebal. That was a direct swap and all the buttons work. The only thing I havent tried is the heat function. So i received the 8.4 yesterday and completed the installation. Everything was plug and play. The only thing that wasnt plug and play is the temperature controls. My tradesman doesnt have dual climate and the one I bought did. So I used my original cluster with the screen until my new one comes in. So besides that everything works. Just make sure if your buying one second hand that you get the VIN number from the truck it came off originally. You will need that along with the serial number on the Navi to get the anitheft code from the dealership. I'll post pics once my new temp cluster comes in. Hope this helps some others!
So I know I'm really late to this thread, but I'm reading that you made the upgrade by purchasing the larger unit, and bezel, and that was all you needed ,besides the steering wheel, and heat controls.

gallingd

Reaction score
No I can confirm that it indeed will not. It will leave your heat stuck on high at all times with no button function. I tried. But, I bought a replacement single zone bezel for 8.4 online for $180. It works flawless.
Can you share the part number for the bezel? Thanks

whelmed

Reaction score
Hi all - first post here. I didn't want to start a new thread so was hoping maybe this was the place to ask.

I see a lot about the 5-8" display, but can I do a 5-12" display? My 2022 has a 5" uconnect 3 in it and I'm already itching for something more.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - first post here. I didn't want to start a new thread so was hoping maybe this was the place to ask.

I see a lot about the 5-8" display, but can I do a 5-12" display? My 2022 has a 5" uconnect 3 in it and I'm already itching for something more.
Yes you can. There’s a thread on this topic. 8.4” to 12” replacement

whelmed

Reaction score
Working my way through the colossal 8.4" to 12" thread, so it's possible but it seems like the best way is through that infotainment site and the kit runs an eye watering $4k.... goodness.

whelmed

Reaction score
So can anyone confirm if it's just a LDVS cable, cable adapter (which I can purchase from someone here), bezel, screen, radio and any odb connector and I'm off to the raceson a 5" to 12"

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So can anyone confirm if it's just a LDVS cable, cable adapter (which I can purchase from someone here), bezel, screen, radio and any odb connector and I'm off to the raceson a 5" to 12"
Yes sir, That's basically it.
Pages 15-19 on the 8.4 to 12" replacement has all the info you need in terms of parts and programming....

kd908070

Reaction score
does anyone know if a 8.4 Non-Nav from a 2019 RAM 1500 works on a 2021 RAM1500? Thanks.

Tbon3

Reaction score
SO I know I'm late to the party on this discussion but I have tried registering on this site for quite some time and finally got my account confirmed!! I have read almost all 18 pages of this thread and I still have questions. I want to upgrade my 5" radio but don't really want to spend the $1,699 for the 8.4" from informant. I have the 5th gen bighorn with the single zone climate. What can I do for a radio upgrade without spending the 1700? I keep finding radios on ebay with dual zone but after a lot of research they are not plug and play ( I could be wrong). I had a audio place tell me I could this with a sony touch screen for around 750 but I'm iffy that its going to be that easy. I dont think they understood the difference between classic and DT body styles. I know this seems like a beating a dead horse seeing how old this thread is but any insight would be much appreciated

PSM2021

Reaction score
funny story.....well kind of. Just got off the phone with the dealer I bought my truck from and they absolutely will not/can not help me with getting parts. Says they won't order them for me. So much for customer service.
Brutal. Some of the parts departments will take the filter off so that you can shop for parts that may not align with your VIN. I would call dealer #2.

PSM2021

Reaction score
My 2021 Rebel has the temp sensor harness pre-wired. Does that mean I need to change out the sun sensor? Anyway that I can tell if I have the right sun sensor?

PSM2021

Reaction score
SO I know I'm late to the party on this discussion but I have tried registering on this site for quite some time and finally got my account confirmed!! I have read almost all 18 pages of this thread and I still have questions. I want to upgrade my 5" radio but don't really want to spend the $1,699 for the 8.4" from informant. I have the 5th gen bighorn with the single zone climate. What can I do for a radio upgrade without spending the 1700? I keep finding radios on ebay with dual zone but after a lot of research they are not plug and play ( I could be wrong). I had a audio place tell me I could this with a sony touch screen for around 750 but I'm iffy that its going to be that easy. I dont think they understood the difference between classic and DT body styles. I know this seems like a beating a dead horse seeing how old this thread is but any insight would be much appreciated
I am really late to the party as I just bought my 2021 Rebel used. Part number 68425512AC (display + bezel) does have the single zone climate supporting Auto. Note that the Bezel is a clearcoat black rather than a dull black finish. It also comes with the screen and some connectors which I am not sure are compatible with the radio (P68292209AF) mentioned at the top.

alienwrkshop51

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've read through this forum many times and am still a bit lost.

I currently have a 2019 3500 tradesman. I found a seller locally selling their entire center stack which includes the 84" w/ nav screen. Auto climate controls, heated steering, and seat controls.

From what I'm gathering from this thread, since I have a tradesman with manual AC and would be going from a 5" to a 8.4 w/ nav and auto climate capability, there may need to be some additional parts ordered/added on. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Will the climate controls on the new center stack work without the sun sensor and cabin temperature sensor? I don't care about auto climate at all, just the ability to turn the air on/off and adjust the fan speed.

Do I need a security bypass (as per infotainment) if I have the donor vehicle VIN?

What about the LVDS cable and UAV Harness? It seems I can order those from infotainment or elsewhere if needed, but I'm not sure the cost is justifiable or not. Does someone on here sell these?

Is AlfaOBD required for this transition? Or is this relatively plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread