5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

TDRamOH

Reaction score
Honestly not sure. Might be the plain one without the brushed grey. Find a new tradesman online with the 8.4 and look at the bezel. If plain black on top then get the vin # and ask a parts guy.
Also pick up a pack of sheet metal screws 6x1/2 so you can put them in the old 5” radio setup.
Thanks for the tip. I canceled my order and will re-order from them again. I have not spoken to anyone, doing this all online.

CnyRver

Reaction score
I am so confused right now lol. I don't want to go the infotainment route. I would like to know what I need to get my radio from a 5 to an 8.4 as cheap as possible. I am also open to aftermarket as long as they have sirius xm. Here is a pic of my dash for reference.
Well without knowing what your truck model is and if you have factory Sirius XM makes it a little more difficult lol. Pic looks like a Rebel dash with the red outline. My post is for a 2500 tradesman. There are other posts in this thread with a 1500 upgrade also. It’s all doable and an easy upgrade. Just need more details. If you don’t want to do the research yourself to save about $500, nismoparts at least states there parts are new. Infotainment are used for the same price. Just look online at dealerships for your model truck with the 8.4 upgrade radio and get the vin #. Then call your local Ram parts and get radio, outer bezel and center stack part #s. Then Search for those part #s.

KEN B

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy07, do you think itll be possible to drill new holes in the center dash piece so you can mount the radio bezel?
Greetings, I am looking for the same exact bezel with hazard button right next to the traction control button. Was the part# 68370124AB correct like the picture you posted that you were looking for? Also what did you do about the hole alignment? Did you drill new holes or did you order the outer A/C bezel?

TDRamOH

Reaction score
Success! Thanks to @CnyRver and everyone that contributed to this thread! Priceless information.

Attachments

• 20210405_144331.jpg
    20210405_144331.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 72

TDRamOH

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks great. Who did you end up going with new at dealer online or ?
Thanks! I went with chryslerpartsgeeks.com. I canceled my first order, then ordered with the other bezel part number for the Tradesman trim. They didn't ask me to confirm this time. I don't know if they knew it was me (I emailed them to cancel, saying I would re-order), or if it's because the bezel matched my VIN. They shipped on 3/29 and it came on 4/3, so a lot quicker than they said.

nate8604

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First time poster. I’ve read through this thread several times over and just want to ensure I’m ordering the correct parts for my truck. I have a 2020 2500 big horn. The parts lists I’ve seen other post are for tradesmen so I’m not sure if the center stack bezel and the instrument panel bezel are the ones I need for my truck. Attached it what I currently have. It’s kind of hard to see but it also has the brushed metal trim on top. Before I fork out some hard earned money I just want to ensure I have the right part numbers. Especially seeing that most of these places selling the factory parts might have weird return policies. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 644D9A17-B500-4D5C-9914-2D5879F086FD.jpeg
    644D9A17-B500-4D5C-9914-2D5879F086FD.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 40

CnyRver

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First time poster. I’ve read through this thread several times over and just want to ensure I’m ordering the correct parts for my truck. I have a 2020 2500 big horn. The parts lists I’ve seen other post are for tradesmen so I’m not sure if the center stack bezel and the instrument panel bezel are the ones I need for my truck. Attached it what I currently have. It’s kind of hard to see but it also has the brushed metal trim on top. Before I fork out some hard earned money I just want to ensure I have the right part numbers. Especially seeing that most of these places selling the factory parts might have weird return policies. Any help would be appreciated.
Your center stack is different then mine. Your outer ac bezel and radio should be the same. You will need to search online for a truck with the same center stack and a 8.4” radio. Get the vin # and call your local Ram parts guy for the part #. It will all work and yes dealers won’t take back installed parts so just make sure your correct.

lckelly26

Reaction score
So after the 5" to 8.4" radio upgrade I've noticed that my backup camera is always zoomed in. It won't allow me to un-zoom. Do I need to change anything with AlfaOBD to make the camera work correctly?

CnyRver

Reaction score
So after the 5" to 8.4" radio upgrade I've noticed that my backup camera is always zoomed in. It won't allow me to un-zoom. Do I need to change anything with AlfaOBD to make the camera work correctly?
Mine took about an hour and couple of short errand runs for it to show the full 8.4”. It should automatically update unless you have the wrong radio specific for your truck. Everyone else that did the upgrade worked. My compass took the longest to update. If it’s been a day and it’s still not full screen then verify the part #. If it’s correct then disconnect negative battery cable, disconnect and reconnect your radio. Then after putting the battery cable back give it 1-2 hours. I ran a bunch of errands and within an hour my camera went to full screen. The next day my compass worked.

KEN B

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have read through the thread several time and I have believe I have all of the part numbers that I need to do this project. Just curious if it is necessary to buy the outer AC bezel or if anyone has had success on getting around for the screw alignment issue?

CnyRver

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have read through the thread several time and I have believe I have all of the part numbers that I need to do this project. Just curious if it is necessary to buy the outer AC bezel or if anyone has had success on getting around for the screw alignment issue?
If I recall someone tried to to reuse the outer bezel but didn’t come close to lining up. Honestly I would buy a new one for the price of $257, it isn’t as bad as the radio price. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

KEN B

Reaction score
If I recall someone tried to to reuse the outer bezel but didn’t come close to lining up. Honestly I would buy a new one for the price of $257, it isn’t as bad as the radio price. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Thank you for the information, I will buy the outer bezel as well

KEN B

Reaction score
I am almost ready to make the purchase to upgrade to the 8.4 inch multi media screen. Does anyone have a good part number for the 8.4" non navigation multi media radio with Car Play? form looking through the thread most people are buying part number 68292209AF, I just want to confirm this has Car Play. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CnyRver

Reaction score
I am almost ready to make the purchase to upgrade to the 8.4 inch multi media screen. Does anyone have a good part number for the 8.4" non navigation multi media radio with Car Play? form looking through the thread most people are buying part number 68292209AF, I just want to confirm this has Car Play. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What year and model truck?

CnyRver

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel
That’s with CarPlay, Sirius/xm & no nav. 👇 I believe the part # you posted is for the 1500. I went with the radio below that matched my truck. Works perfect, no issues.

Attachments

• 3F418716-EAF4-4DEC-A792-DEB4BEA249C6.jpeg
    3F418716-EAF4-4DEC-A792-DEB4BEA249C6.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

CnyRver

Reaction score
I went with this setup and fit 100%.
I have a 2020 2500 tradesman. Should be the same for yours

Attachments

• BE0259D2-9D85-468D-8C5F-50EA8382E7A6.jpeg
    BE0259D2-9D85-468D-8C5F-50EA8382E7A6.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 47

rossagge

Reaction score
I went with this setup and fit 100%.
I have a 2020 2500 tradesman. Should be the same for yours
Thanks for that info. It's hard to tell by the all the diagrams I've found, but does the center stack you purchased have the hazard and traction control buttons side by side? That's the way it is on my 2020 6.7L Tradesman.
Infotainment.jpg
Ed

rossagge

Reaction score
What part# center stack did you end up going with? I see you have the 6.7L with the same side by side hazard & traction control buttons as I do. The 6.4L just has a single hazard. Not sure what the connections look like in the back. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread