5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7l vs 6.4l. RAM 1500 vs Grand Wagoneer.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You said the reason why: positioning/marketing. There is nothing in the 6.4 itself that would make it cost prohibitive, GM does the 6.2 at a similar markup. But just because they don't, doesn't mean it can't be done if they want to.

Absolutely, but I suspect they don't want to. The position and marketing is done on purpose. They are selling plenty of RAMs at the moment, which is impressive since they now the oldest design, other than a few minor convenience & accessory updates, pretty much untouched since 2019, whereas the F150 was recently redesigned and the GM twins are getting a mid-cycle refresh and all new interior for 2022 model year.

Now Ford did offer the Raptor motor in the Limited F150 as an option, but again lower volume. Maybe RAM could do that with the 6.4L without getting too close to the TRX, like a Limited 6.4L, but again, it won't be affordable or volume model we would want. I would love to tick the box on a Rebel build sheet for a couple of grand more, but I just do see it based on what FCA/Stellantis is currently doing.

They are doing a refresh for 2023 model year, expect exterior and hopefully some powertrain options. Maybe they can throw us a bone with a 6.4L, but I suspect it will be more likely the I6 Turbo.

silver billet

Reaction score
Absolutely, but I suspect they don't want to. The position and marketing is done on purpose. They are selling plenty of RAMs at the moment, which is now the oldest design, untouched since 2019, whereas the F150 was recently redesigned and the GM twins are getting a mid-cycle refresh and all new interior for 2022 model year.

We're arguing discussing in circles my friend. I'm posting because I want the SRT 6.4 in a Ram, for a small/reasonable markup.

You're saying they can't do it, because they don't.

I fully understand where you're coming from (marketing), but this is a feature request. If we want it, we need to vocalize and show our "demand" (market demand/opportunity) for it, who knows maybe they'll change their mind.

If they don't, judging by what's available at this point, my next truck will not be a Ram.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
We're arguing in circles my friend. I'm posting because I want the SRT 6.4 in a Ram, for a small/reasonable markup.

You're saying they can't do it, because they don't.

I fully understand where you're coming from (marketing), but this is a feature request. If we want it, we need to vocalize and show our "demand" (market demand/opportunity) for it, who knows maybe they'll change their mind.

If they don't, judging by what's available at this point, my next truck will not be a Ram.

I wouldn't say arguing, since I generally agree with you, I say we are discussing the possibilities. Who knows, FCA may want to stir the pot like they do and come up with something cool for 2023 to keep the RAM success train moving forward.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I think Ram should offer the 6.4 in the 1500. GM starting offering the 6.2 in the mid grade RST trucks, I don't see why Ram can't do it.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GM offers them in sub 6 figure trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Ram 1500 Limited equivalent trim in GM with the 6.2 will cost several thousand more. And then you need 91/93 octane.

Really, the power difference is not that significant.

And anyway, it will be light on options for sure but you can get a TRX for under $80k from a dealer that wants to work with you.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 6.4L 1500 would be amazing however I believe most people would agree the days of that being a possibility are long gone. Then again they made the TRX so honestly I have no idea what they’re going to do next 🤣

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Since they've said that the Hellcat engines are going to be discontinued after the 2023 MY maybe they will throw the option out there for 1 year before the I6 Turbo engine ? Probably just wishful thinking on my part .

HRCfan1

Reaction score
Yea, I think Ram should offer the 6.4 in the 1500. GM starting offering the 6.2 in the mid grade RST trucks, I don't see why Ram can't do it.

I agree. It’s available in 2 trims on the Sierra and at least 3 on the Silverado. Ram could do it as they offer a large V8 in almost all their vehicles. When I bought my 99 Ram 1500 there were two V8 choices.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Wow gm finally got smart. They actually offer the 6.2 in 5 different trim level trucks if they are 4wd. Too bad they didn’t do that when the trucks actually looked good.

silver billet

Reaction score
Really, the power difference is not that significant.

The SRT 6.4 makes 471 HP, and 455 lb/ft of torque, compared to 395 hp and 410 lb/ft of torque.

Maybe you find 75 hp insignificant, but I don't, especially considering it doesn't hurt mpg and will probably even improve on it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The SRT 6.4 makes 471 HP, and 455 lb/ft of torque, compared to 395 hp and 410 lb/ft of torque.

Maybe you find 75 hp insignificant, but I don't, especially considering it doesn't hurt mpg and will probably even improve on it.
I haven't researched it, but what does the SRT actually signify? I know it means Street Racing Technology, but the hellcat is also an SRT engine and it has a supercharger. It would appear that the 6.4 SRT does not, because that's definitely not supercharger horsepower.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to have two SRT Jeeps. I could get 21-22mpg on the highway easily with them.

The 4cyl mode was annoying as heck though and the truck would vibrate when it was on.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

He was probably comparing to the Ram HD 6.4L output of 410 hp, 429 lb-ft

Users who are viewing this thread